Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park News & Construction! New Vekoma Trains

New Vekoma Trains

Theme Park Construction And News Forum

Post November 17th, 2009, 5:44 pm

Points on hand: 1,117.00 Points

^ that's for sure, ever ridden a coater with the new wheel configuration, it sure is smooth, not something you would expect from vekoma.... and you guys seem to be totally pissed of that vekoma now makes good rides as well or do I misunderstand??

Post November 17th, 2009, 6:55 pm
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
Originally posted by RCT-3-Crazy

Wow, never thought there were so many coasternoobs here, as far as I remember, numberwise Vekoma is one if not the biggest coaster company on earth.

Wow, never thought there were so many coasternoobs here who couldn't infer that I was talking about price and quality vs. quantity.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post November 17th, 2009, 7:07 pm

Points on hand: 5,801.00 Points

Post November 17th, 2009, 10:05 pm
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
That is the look of a concerned seismologist!
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post November 17th, 2009, 11:40 pm

Points on hand: 155.00 Points
However it turns out, I hope it's a custom install, and that they do more custom installs. Although, it looks to me that there's a lot more supports than an equivalent B&M ride. or maybe that's my imagination.

Post November 19th, 2009, 6:42 pm

Points on hand: 2,704.00 Points

WOW! the blue one looks great. Looks to have some good airtime after the launch!

Post November 19th, 2009, 7:00 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 2,833.00 Points
Bank: 25,088.00 Points

the inverted one does actually look very very good

Post November 19th, 2009, 7:15 pm
Turbo User avatar

Points on hand: 5,506.00 Points
Bank: 21,857.68 Points

That whole project looks completely BADASS
Coaster Count: 582 // Top Five: 1. Helix 2. Nemesis 3. Big Bad Wolf 4. Boulder Dash 5. Balder

Coasterkidmwm wrote:
4 G's to the taint was a bit much for me because I'm not a power bottom like Turbo

Post November 19th, 2009, 7:38 pm

Points on hand: 827.00 Points
The trains look really naked without any wheel covers. Sort of almost looks tacky.

Post November 19th, 2009, 8:07 pm

Points on hand: 5,889.00 Points

Post November 19th, 2009, 8:30 pm

Points on hand: 850.00 Points

Post November 19th, 2009, 8:33 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iMazSCU ... r_embedded

another angle that i posted in a thread that no one seems to have read for some reason. I swear this thread disappeared as well.

Post November 19th, 2009, 9:27 pm

Points on hand: 650.00 Points
not even just the trains but nearly everything about the ride seems like a B&M

which isn't a bad thing XD

although yes, it does seem like there are more supports blythy
So say we all.

Post November 19th, 2009, 9:31 pm

Points on hand: 1,440.00 Points

Wow, never thought there were so many coasternoobs here, as far as I remember, numberwise Vekoma is one if not the biggest coaster company on earth.

But there quality sucks, ever wonder why there isn't a Vekoma at CP? Because the company is crap for good rides, they are affordable, but cheap and not fun. Intamin and B&M on the other hand, are quality manufacturers and their rides prove it every time they build something.
Cedar Point FTW

Post November 19th, 2009, 9:36 pm

Originally posted by Randomman4

But there quality sucks, ever wonder why there isn't a Vekoma at CP? Because the company is crap for good rides, they are affordable, but cheap and not fun. Intamin and B&M on the other hand, are quality manufacturers and their rides prove it every time they build something.

hi there! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodstock_Express :p

Vekoma get a cheap ride cos most of their rides are off the shelf, means very little has to be spent apart from foundation survey and manufacturing and materials.

BSG looks pretty much a custom layout, and they may be doing more custom layouts. The trains are apparantly better designed for smoothness as well. One thing I have noticed though is that those supports look cheap. I've never noticed the spiralling seals on a B&M or intamin support.

Post November 20th, 2009, 12:27 am

Points on hand: 2,704.00 Points
IF you have ridden expedition everest you know that vekoma can make smooth rides nowadays. I expect vekoma to become one of the better companys out there.

Post November 20th, 2009, 6:19 am
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

B&M and Intamin are like the Rolls Royce and Bentley of the coaster world. They're of amazingly high quality, they look spectacular and they're finished extremely well. But only richer people can afford them. Vekoma are more like a Ford or Toyota or something. Cheap and affordable for most, not as well built or as nice looking, but for my mind, you can have just as much fun in a Ford Ka as you can in a Rolls Royce Phantom [:)]

Post November 20th, 2009, 11:24 am
AyTrane Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 2,132.00 Points
There are more supports on Battlestar for two reasons. Earthquakes in the region create the need for more supporting and bracing. The track is not capable of handling a heavy load over a large span. Since they chose tubular pipe instead of making a stronger spine, such as a truss (Intamin/Schwarzkopf) or a large box (B&M/Gio), more frequent supporting is required in areas seeing higher force/load.

A third reason could be the client's request. If they demand a smoother ride, and are willing to pay the price, adding more supports will increase the durability and longevity of a ride.

Post November 20th, 2009, 1:03 pm

I'd've thought a circular cross section was stronger than a box section of comparable dimensions/mass per unit length.

Post November 20th, 2009, 8:05 pm

Points on hand: 850.00 Points
Originally posted by blythy
I've never noticed the spiralling seals on a B&M or intamin support.

Im pretty sure its just temporary wrapping, I havent seen an operating coaster of any manufacturer with supports like those. Theyll probly be gone shortly after opening, to protect the supports or sumthin like that.

Post November 25th, 2009, 10:55 am
AyTrane Premium Member
Premium Member

Originally posted by blythy

I'd've thought a circular cross section was stronger than a box section of comparable dimensions/mass per unit length.

Ordinarily using box beam, but B&M doesn't use and roll box beam, they build their own out of thick steel triangles welded together. You could theoretically use thicker walled steel tubing, but the problem is, you can't roll pipe that thick. So if you want a more ridged structure, you either need more of it, or design something else. Some of Vekoma's inverted and flying coasters have double spine to compensate, but I don't think the new track design allows for it effectively.

Post November 25th, 2009, 11:05 am
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

^ they do have designers, the track will have been designed in such a way to accomodate any such measures, either that or it won't require them. They're not stupid.

Post November 25th, 2009, 11:50 am

Points on hand: 1,117.00 Points

has anyone already mentiond the quiteness of this BSG ride?? Think this track would be a nice indoorcoaster as well

Post November 25th, 2009, 6:16 pm
AyTrane Premium Member
Premium Member

Originally posted by gouldy

^ they do have designers, the track will have been designed in such a way to accomodate any such measures, either that or it won't require them. They're not stupid.

Could you be more specific as to how you think I thought they were stupid? I was just pointing out the difference in track structure design.

Previous

Return to Theme Park News & Construction!