Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park News & Construction! New Waterslide Concept

New Waterslide Concept

Theme Park Construction And News Forum

Post November 14th, 2009, 12:40 am
Tetsu Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 44.00 Points
Bank: 4,333.00 Points

Our friends over at TPI have come up with what could be the next big splash in waterslide technology. Watch the attached video to see a RAW concept of the newly designed "Waterslide Switch" in action.

Remember, this is a RAW demo. In other words, it will look much better with a bit of work.

Post November 14th, 2009, 12:42 am
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
And you wouldn't die in a malfunction how?
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post November 14th, 2009, 12:51 am
Mikey User avatar
Site Admin
Site Admin

Points on hand: 6,049.50 Points

The computer will not allow a rider to enter the segment prior to the switch entering the locked position. Both PLCS must agree with the master in order to release the rider to enter the segment. The three alternate safety mechanisms built into the system are still a trade secret.

Post November 14th, 2009, 12:55 am

Points on hand: 850.00 Points
Trade secret?
This isnt exactly a innovation. Its just a concept applied to something new.

Post November 14th, 2009, 12:59 am

Points on hand: 3,691.00 Points
Seems pretty cool. I haven't been to a nice water park in years though. I miss them, haha.

And Panther, that's how most inventions are made though. Just people modifying old ideas and making a crap load of money off of it sadly, lol. Like all those infomercials that by the end have you thinking, why didn't I think of that, I could be rich, hahaha.

Post November 14th, 2009, 1:08 am

Points on hand: 5,394.00 Points
Bank: 1,660.00 Points
Hmm, this idea is not well thought out yet... There are a few factors that need to be considered for making this possible.

1. Rust-proof the machinery that will rotate the "switch". This could cause reliabilty issues as the machinery could break down.

2. Deal with the obvious gap that will be made. The water would need to be shut off and such to allow the switch to rotate or else waste way too much water

3. That little area where the switch connects to the slide may cause pain for the rider.

4. Make sure pooling of water does not occur.

There are just a lot of things that can make this idea go completely wrong in my opinion...
Oh, were you expecting something here?

Post November 14th, 2009, 1:16 am
Mikey User avatar
Site Admin
Site Admin

1. The components which power the rotation movement are located above and behind the ingress portion of the slide. The only components which may get wet are the sensors, and they are water proof.

2. The tolerance in between the transfer and the slide is very small. It is easily enough for a rider in a tube with sufficient water pressure to pass over with out incident. Water by design goes into a catch pan under the slide, and is recycled in to water falls placed over the flume further in the course. No water is wasted.

3. Please see #2. A final design to body slides is still in development.

4. Pooling is a non issue, the water flow is never shut off.

Post November 14th, 2009, 1:17 am
Tetsu Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 44.00 Points
Bank: 4,333.00 Points
^^ I see your points being pretty valid there. But, about point 2, I am speaking with one of the TPI members and we found that water needs not to be shut of since in most cases the landing pool will be directly below, or at the very least near the switch in location. Ergo, the water from un-connected slides would just land in the pool making a neat little waterfall effect.

Post November 14th, 2009, 1:17 am

Points on hand: 5,889.00 Points
I just think it seems pointless.
American Eagle Lover

Post November 14th, 2009, 1:18 am
Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

Points on hand: 11,527.60 Points
Bank: 187,052.60 Points

[lol] I'd pay to see a malfunction and see coasterkidmwm fall off the tube!
Support Us! - Click Here To Donate $5 Monthly!
Paradox wrote:
No need to tell Oscar about the problems. He is magic.

Post November 14th, 2009, 1:23 am

Points on hand: 5,394.00 Points
Bank: 1,660.00 Points
Originally posted by Oscar

[lol] I'd pay to see a malfunction and see coasterkidmwm fall off the tube!

I just visualized that... I can't stop laughing!
Oh, were you expecting something here?

Post November 14th, 2009, 1:39 am
Dirk_Ermen User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 2,175.50 Points
Bank: 45,000.00 Points
Hmmm... What about making a small rotatable jump in height to make it a bit smoother gap? But then you'll probably get the problem that people shouldn't be able to slow down or sit upright.

The idea is cool but I think it would need A LOT of developing before it actually would be able to use.
Coastercount: 1410 (I've seen the world and it's horrid contraptions... @.@)
- Wood: 142
- Steel: 1268

Post November 14th, 2009, 3:28 am

Points on hand: 103.00 Points
Bank: 4,290.00 Points
I still want to see a flat spin on a slide or more like a sheepish downhill spin. It is possible to not let the water pool up if its steep enough. And if you are one of those intimidated riders who brake before the element against the slide you would just go over the element as if its a weirdly shaped ramp. [:D]

Post November 14th, 2009, 5:39 am

Points on hand: 2,837.21 Points
Bank: 6,969.69 Points
With most winding slides, people don't know what's gonna happen around the next corner anyways, so I can't see this doing much other than making lines 3x longer because of the reduced capacity. The slides would have to be drastically different to have any effect, which is ok, but then with water slides people generally like to choose and you'd be taking that choice away from them. Good try (and I'm all for innovation) but I'm not feelin' this one. I just don't think it'd add that much originality in both visuals and experience like the tornado and toilet bowls or thrill like say the slides with the trapdoor floors.

Post November 14th, 2009, 6:13 am

Points on hand: 2,615.00 Points

Wouldn't the capacity actually be much greater? If the turntable was situated at the very beginning of the slide, three passengers could technically be sent down at once. As the first rider passes the element, it's turned and a second is sent down. As they pass the element, it's turned again and a third rider goes. By the time the last one moves through the turntable, the first rider has finished the slide and another is ready to be sent through the original tube.

Post November 14th, 2009, 6:32 am

^ That's how I figured it to be. Three going at once!

Post November 14th, 2009, 8:06 am
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 2,798.00 Points
Bank: 25,088.00 Points

Post November 14th, 2009, 9:08 am

^ Well I'm not saying it would be an amazing or revolutionary design or something, but I think if anything, they are going for that "surprise" element? Maybe making it to where you wont know what tube you're going to go down? Ha, I really don't know, I have no clue otherwise, lol.

Post November 14th, 2009, 1:10 pm

Points on hand: 3,002.00 Points

I think its a great start. It needs to be modified oblviously but i like the raw concept.

Post November 14th, 2009, 2:17 pm
Mikey User avatar
Site Admin
Site Admin

I don't think the video does the concept justice. Perhaps a new video is needed.

Post November 14th, 2009, 3:30 pm
hyyyper User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 9,207.00 Points
So are you trying to put 3 slides into 1 slides, or split one slide up in three portions?

In both cases, I really don't see the point. Perhaps someone could enlighten me

Post November 14th, 2009, 3:43 pm
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
Originally posted by rcking04
I just visualized that... I can't stop laughing!

My hot body flying through the air would be bad.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post November 14th, 2009, 3:49 pm

Points on hand: 2,837.21 Points
Bank: 6,969.69 Points
Whereas with 3 slides you can put a person in each at the same time, with this turntable you can only put one in until they pass the switch track.

Post November 14th, 2009, 3:53 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 2,798.00 Points
Bank: 25,088.00 Points

A ridiculous and pointless idea that has no future, end of.

Post November 14th, 2009, 5:54 pm

Points on hand: 664.00 Points
It would be much safer and cheaper to make the slide get gradually wider with a bump that raises up in the middle until the slide splits in two. Then the rider could choose which path to take.

Next

Return to Theme Park News & Construction!