Board index Roller Coaster Games NoLimits Coaster 2 NoLimits Coaster 2 Tutorials and Templates NoLimits Coaster 2 Seed/Flat Ride/3D Files/Designs

NoLimits Coaster 2 Seed/Flat Ride/3D Files/Designs

A place for NoLimits Coaster 2 Tutorials, Seeds, Flat Rides, 3D Files and Designs.

Points on hand: 528.00 Points
I script a couple rides and SCO objects and I'll like to post a few pointers for modelers who aren't familiar with how NL2 connects with these objects through scripting. First and foremost, the ride HAS be broken down into whatever components are going to be moving. If the object has no named sub-groups, components, or hierarchy of any sort, the ride will be impossible to animate. Secondly, the groups within the model have to be named uniquely, meaning that duplicate named groups are a no-no, how will the code know which one to reference? Next make sure group axis are somewhat relative to the axis that the component will be moving on, it's a lot easier if these are setup in the model rather than corrected by code.

I'll use this Booster Ride as reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Booster_(Fabbri_ride)#/media/File:Hydro_Max.JPG

Look at how many axis that the ride will be rotating on, there are 7 (The main rotation, 2 gondolas, 4 restaint sets). You will have to break the ride down into these 7 components, and have them contained within another. Arm which contains the two gondolas, each which contain the two restraint sets. Let's name these now within a 3D editing program; they all have to be named differently in order of NL2 to retrieve the right piece. Here's what I would name them: arm_Main, car_0, car_1, restraintSet_0, restraintSet_1, restraintSet_2, restraintSet_3. This is a very good example of naming objects, a descriptive name, no spacing, duplicate objects, like the cars and restraints, begin with Zero, not one. I understand in SketchUp, components are easier to work with (Yay!), but cannot be named differently(Boo!), you will have to use the "Make Unique" action in order to name them differently.

Now for the sub component axis, move the group axis exactly to where the object will pivot. For Booster, you'd want to place the main arm's axis in the center of the arm; the car axis between the seats; and the restraint axis where the restraint rotates to open, near the headrest. Failing to so will cause the ride to rotate around a completely different axis. I understand in some cases this is a bit unavoidable. Rides who's axis are not on X, Y, or Z axis will have a slight issue here. Booster only rotates on X or Z axis depending on what direction the model is facing. Wind Seeker and Enterprise for example have multiple gondolas, the do not rotate on X, Y or Z, they rotate somewhere in between. I am familiar with one way of correcting this, as a modeler, point all of your sub groups so that their rotational axis in on X, Y or Z axis. Look at my Sky Whirl or Projection's Wind Seeker, you'll see the in the editor the model are propped up in an odd way, like in Wind Seeker, all of the cars are pointing in one direction, it makes coding easier as all us coder's have to do is rotate them once to correct them, instead of using another method to rotate these groups along a non-XYZ axis.

Lastly, make sure your models are in their resting position. The Parasail model that Talon was so kind enough to post, looks amazing, but it would be pretty difficult to animate, as it's in a mid-cycle position and it's harder to correct that into a resting position and then animate though coding, there's a bit more that can go wrong when calculating angles for the ride as opposed to having the model start in a resting position.

Also with what is being said about using SketchUp Warehouse objects, please give credit to who's object you are using, or even better, contact the creator to get permission to use their work so they are aware that it is being used. I personally do not feel comfortable editing or animating rides that were found on the internet, as most times they aren't rigged correctly, and posting the work leads to the assumption that the model is ours, which wouldn't be true.

I hope this helps you modelers out there. I know it's a lot to read, and a bit confusing. Feel free to ask questions on the thread so everyone can learn or PM me if you're having trouble rigging your models correctly, and I can inspect them personally.

Points on hand: 764.00 Points
Okay,.. that??s another way of animating the ride. I always modeling the rides in "parking mode" but how they just look in real life (while parking). All cars in place and no seperated pieces. Just how they are and with all the pivots in place (and right facing directions). With a little help of the matrix and a loadSOE, you can easily manage all kind of directions of the cars... even a Troika with three seperate arms. But well,.. there is always more than just one way ;) I ever avoided using components in sketchup. I think to work with just "groups" is more comfortable (of course you??ll using components while modeling with sketchup but in the final version, not), but as i said, there are more than just one way. I also recommand to group things wherever they could be. If there are four restraints in a row, i would put them into one group instead of 4 seperate groups. Seperate restraints in a row making only sense if they should close and open at a different time.

It??s maybe also a personal "like" .. i prefere to see the ride as it is, when i place it into a park :D Great explanation of "how to" ! ;) I hope i didn??t confuse your help text!

Points on hand: 528.00 Points
By all means add to it! I've just been using the "Point all cars in one direction" approach since I've started coding, rather than the setting initial XYZ / Translation by matrix while cars are in their correct resting positions. I also agree with the your example of grouping the four restraints, in my Booster example this was the approach I was taking, where both restraints would open and be grouped together; 4 groups instead of 8. There are a couple different ways to do it, either way is perfectly fine. I should dab into using matrices to correct initial rotation so the rides don't look weird in the Editor.

Points on hand: 483.00 Points
Bank: 19,590.00 Points
It seem like only a few of the rides in my carnival are not in their rest position.

TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 738.00 Points
Bank: 111,265.11 Points
There was a lot of big words here and I just couldn't bare myself to read them all. Could someone recap please?

Points on hand: 764.00 Points
@TTD03: It??s all about having fun :D Sorry for the offtopic discussion in this thread ;)

@maverick34jjv: Yeah,.. it??s always good to have more than one way to do something =) Go ahead! :D

TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 738.00 Points
Bank: 111,265.11 Points
Magu78 wrote:
@TTD03: It??s all about having fun :D Sorry for the offtopic discussion in this thread ;)

@maverick34jjv: Yeah,.. it??s always good to have more than one way to do something =) Go ahead! :D

It's all good :D

Points on hand: 56.00 Points

mkingy User avatar

Points on hand: 28,053.00 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points

Metazoanhaddock User avatar

Points on hand: 3,307.00 Points
Bank: 52,337.00 Points
The first post has been updated with new content!!!! go check it out! also, just 3 more content entries and I'll be doing a complete overhaul of the organization of the library (first post) into a more organized, easier to navigate post that should benefit everyone.
Head Moderator
Director, Structural Engineer - PEAK Amusements
Site Contest Judge (Supporting)
Chatroom Admin

Points on hand: 1,125.00 Points
It says credit is needed to use my path pack.
Not a huge detail I guess, but I don't require that.

mkingy User avatar

Bye Tom wrote:
It says credit is needed to use my path pack.
Not a huge detail I guess, but I don't require that.

Fixed :)
Coaster Count - 198
France 2019 Mini Trip Report

Points on hand: 10,012.00 Points
This is an awesome resource, and I'm really thankful for it. I have two questions:

1) When you pick and pull 3D objects from various locations in your documents, will packaging the park when all is finished ensure that everyone who downloads will have the objects? I keep getting this caution message about grabbing stuff from outside of the base files, but figured it would work out if I packaged. Am I good?

2) What's the protocol as far as credit? Drop a line for the creators of the original objects in my description and I'll be okay? (sorry if that was already covered but I could not find it)
1-Millennium Force | 2-Intimidator 305 | 3-Fury 325
4-Skyrush | 5-Iron Rattler | 6-X2 | 7-Kingda Ka
8-Voyage | 9-Maverick | 10-Monster

mkingy User avatar

GerstlCrazy wrote:
This is an awesome resource, and I'm really thankful for it. I have two questions:

1) When you pick and pull 3D objects from various locations in your documents, will packaging the park when all is finished ensure that everyone who downloads will have the objects? I keep getting this caution message about grabbing stuff from outside of the base files, but figured it would work out if I packaged. Am I good?

2) What's the protocol as far as credit? Drop a line for the creators of the original objects in my description and I'll be okay? (sorry if that was already covered but I could not find it)

1) As far as I'm aware all files that are in your package should be in the same folder as the track (or deeper) to ensure everyone can see everything. I believe the reason for this that NL can then reference the file in relation to when the track file is.

example of relative reference: /station/station.3ds

If you use objects outside of the path NL has to use an absolute path.

example of absolute reference C:\Users\mkingy\Program Files\NL2\3DS\Trackname\Station\Station.3ds

References aren't dynamic so they won't change when you're on a different computer. Therefore absolute references become a problem because in order to work the entire file structure of the users computer has to be identical to yours - if that makes sense?

I think when the packager works it temporarily extracts files to their 'correct' location rather than running from within the package. I doubt due to windows security that it's allowed to create/delete files and folders in people's user directories so they just aren't extracted.

2) I'll chase this up - Putting it on the download link and in coaster description is a belt and braces approach I'd say. Any object in particular that you're planning to use? Depending on who it is one of the staff might be able to get hold of them fairly quickly.
Coaster Count - 198

Points on hand: 560.00 Points

soon.

~ Bringing top quality amusement to the world one thrill at a time ~
https://www.facebook.com/ApexAmusements
http://www.peakamusements.com/
Seth Parsons - Tallon DeHart - Joe Hoye - Blase Rhine

Points on hand: 13,491.00 Points
I will call this "The beauty in one blueprint".
-- I was happy to be with NL1 - [:')] --

Points on hand: 227.00 Points
Bank: 11,457.10 Points
Here's my arrow double loop double cork recreation:
http://www.coastercrazy.com/exchange/de ... k_id=21019
(Trees made by n7, paths by Bye Tom, Cartextures by tallon)
All hail your great Arrow Dynamics overlords.

I hope these corks have "Arrowy" jerky entrances for realism. :)

herman116 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 7,471.00 Points
I've just made a small flat ride for everyone to use:

Small Ferris Wheel
This is a pretty basic small ferris wheel for everyone to use. It's lightly based on the Zamperla ferris wheels.
To place it in your park, just unzip the file in your park directory and place it in your park like you do with all other scenery.
Anyone may use it without credit.
Download link: NL2FLAT-Small-Ferris-Wheel

Also, there is a small typo in the third paragraph of the first post:
Metazoanhaddock wrote:
To contribute the the database, simply post a link to your file along with a brief description (for labeling purposes of course) and it should be cataloged and added to the list within a day or so.

herman116 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 7,471.00 Points

^ I am truly impressed by your comment "Anyone may use it without credit." :D

Metazoanhaddock User avatar

Points on hand: 3,307.00 Points
Bank: 52,337.00 Points
Cool5, that is NOT what this thread is for, do NOT post requests in this thread. If you have a question to ask him a PM would suffice. Next time this happens, your post will be deleted and you will receive a formal warning. This isn't the first time I've caught you posting off topic, spamming, or requesting items in inappropriate forums and you've been repeatedly warned about it.
Head Moderator
Director, Structural Engineer - PEAK Amusements
Site Contest Judge (Supporting)
Chatroom Admin

mkingy User avatar

Thread updated with a flat ride and a track recreation!
Coaster Count - 198

PreviousNext

Return to NoLimits Coaster 2 Tutorials and Templates