Board index Roller Coaster Games Hard Hat Area [WIP] [NL2] Nordschleife: Green Hell - Intamin LSM coaster

[WIP] [NL2] Nordschleife: Green Hell - Intamin LSM coaster

The Hard Hat Area is the place to post construction news about your ride, so this is the place to hype your future upload!

Points on hand: 398.00 Points
Nordschleife: Green Hell Intamin LSM coaster

Nordschleife: Green Hell is a terrain-hugging Intamin LSM coaster with tons of ejector air and a huge sense of speed. Launch to 75 miles per hour and experience negative gravity as you go over a hill and into a tunnel through mountains and valleys and inclines and coastlines. Be assaulted with a sense of speed as trees and support beams whiz through your field of vision.

The rollercoaster is inspired by the Nurburgring Nordschleife race track in Germany, affectionately called the ??????Green Hell?????? for its countryside curves and bumps making Formula One cars crash and fly. And by fly, we literally mean it ?????? bumps inducing negative G forces have made cars airborne. Long straights followed by blind corners have led to the demise of many a racer and there have been an estimated 3-12 deaths per year since it was opened and regulated for racing, or 200 by 2004 (Jeremy Clarkson on TopGear). The rollercoaster, as a result, is full of airtime, speed and insane banked curves a la Carousel ?????? although it is far safer than the actual racetrack.

(EDIT) Statistics:
Launch speed: 75 MPH or 120 KM/H
Top speed: 79.3 MPH or 126.88 KM/H (reached after first hill, in the middle of downward 180 degree helix)
Top height: 189.523 ft or 57.77 M
Length (as of now, since I will rework the end to accommodate straight brakes per feedback): 4283.14 ft or 1305.5 M
(END OF EDIT)

Nordschleife is NGNL2??????s first terrain coaster as well as NGNL2??????s first Intamin.

(nerdygeeknl2 is not actually affiliated with Intamin, the N??????rburgring owners, Formula One or the N??????rburgring Nordschleife track. This is just a roller coaster dream themed on the tales of the famous Nordschleife. The modern GP circuit is far safer than the Nordschleife described here.)

For more information on the Nordschleife: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N??????rburgring

CONSTRUCTION NOTES: Track is complete but please give me your feedback on the layout. Station theming and queue has not yet started. Logo has not yet been finished. Some supports are placeholders, but all are now using Intamin connectors. Please give me any other feedback. Thank you!

UPDATE 1 - We have received feedback that a curved brake run would not be possible. (Personal note: I feel so dumb :lol: ) Therefore, the track has been extended to include a new turnaround element and a mid-course brake run, leading to a straight brake run. The new element is done with G-force testing! Final brake run is now straight. Mid-ride brake run before the new element is added - both to serve as a trim and to help manage the block system, ensuring problem-free operation. (Trains are not expected to stop at the run, as the brakes can serve as a trim - they will only stop in cases of emergencies, and in that unlikely event the brakes also act as a launch system to propel the train to the station.) This turnaround is not similar to the Hammerhead or other turnaround elements - it curves the train 360 degrees relative to the element starts, then does a banked S curve leading into a 180 degree downward quarter helix into the brake run.

Further testing is necessary for both clearance and optimizing the G-forces in other elements. A new POV and new images will be uploaded soon. Please regard the ones below as a beta.

- POINT-OF-VIEW -

- PICTURES -

screenshot-2015-03-30-17-17-13 copy.jpg

screenshot-2015-03-30-17-17-26 copy.jpg

screenshot-2015-03-30-17-17-44 copy.jpg

screenshot-2015-03-30-17-17-59 copy.jpg

screenshot-2015-03-30-17-18-23 copy.jpg

screenshot-2015-03-30-17-18-36 copy.jpg

screenshot-2015-03-30-17-18-53 copy.jpg

screenshot-2015-03-30-17-19-09 copy.jpg

screenshot-2015-03-30-17-19-28 copy.jpg

screenshot-2015-03-30-17-19-41 copy.jpg

screenshot-2015-03-30-17-19-54 copy.jpg

screenshot-2015-03-30-17-20-15 copy.jpg

screenshot-2015-03-30-17-20-31 copy.jpg

screenshot-2015-03-30-17-20-39 copy.jpg

screenshot-2015-03-30-17-20-51 copy.jpg

screenshot-2015-03-30-17-21-03 copy.jpg

screenshot-2015-03-30-17-21-33 copy.jpg

screenshot-2015-03-30-17-21-49 copy.jpg

screenshot-2015-03-30-17-22-02 copy.jpg

screenshot-2015-03-30-17-22-20 copy.jpg
Last edited by nerdygeeknl2 on March 30th, 2015, 6:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
WIP: In order of release priority: Nordschleife: Green Hell, unnamed B&M Floorless, unnamed Mack Launched Coaster
"I don't want to say never, because I think never is always the wrong answer." - Walter Bolliger

mkingy User avatar

Points on hand: 28,058.00 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points
Very very first impressions and thoughts:
Have you clearance tested it yet? Looks close on some interactions.
End brakes need to be straight when you look at it from top view - also shouldn't be banked else you'll brake the brake fins!
some elements seem a bit forced banking wise - almost like you have unwanted laterals making you fall out the car - not sure though.
Looks like a fun ride though - some interesting ideas certainly (such as the S-bend section)
Coaster Count - 198
France 2019 Mini Trip Report

Points on hand: 9,972.00 Points
Oi :)

Looks good from what I can tell! One main thing I think can be improved in the layout is that the brakes activate on a curved section of track and are a little strong. Maybe you can turn that last hill into something like the brake hill on Kingda Ka or Stealth (Thorpe Park)? Otherwise it looks good! :) What is the height / speed / length of the ride btw?
mkingy wrote:
Yoda was famously quoted as saying:

Yoda wrote:
Free the Orcas, you must
Sith will prevail, otherwise

Fluorometholone

mkingy wrote:
Very very first impressions and thoughts:
Have you clearance tested it yet? Looks close on some interactions.
End brakes need to be straight when you look at it from top view - also shouldn't be banked else you'll brake the brake fins!
some elements seem a bit forced banking wise - almost like you have unwanted laterals making you fall out the car - not sure though.
Looks like a fun ride though - some interesting ideas certainly (such as the S-bend section)

Thank you for your feedback!

Yeah, I noticed. I had it tested once but so much has changed since, I might want to do a rerun. I'll redo the brake section as soon as possible - I didn't know that yet! XD I've G-Force tested the thing, it's so far safe with the maximum being a yellow in the G-Force comb but I might want to smooth out some transitions and maybe slightly underbank that overbanked curve near the end.

Thank you again!

AmatsuNL wrote:
Oi :)

Looks good from what I can tell! One main thing I think can be improved in the layout is that the brakes activate on a curved section of track and are a little strong. Maybe you can turn that last hill into something like the brake hill on Kingda Ka or Stealth (Thorpe Park)? Otherwise it looks good! :) What is the height / speed / length of the ride btw?

Yeah, I'm reworking the brake section, I want that last hill to be El Toro-like (it comes near the end and provides ejector airtime), so I'm trying to come up with a place to put a brake straight, and making it longer to accommodate 2 blocks while gradually braking. My thought was to extend the coaster with one last turnaround finale element before hitting the gradual brakes and into the station. A brake straight could also be a nice place to put a transfer table, or a switch track, which will lead to a storage building for maintenance purposes. I don't know haha.

Okay, so stats. I should have included them from the start:

Launch speed: 75 MPH or 120 KM/H
Top speed: 79.3 MPH or 126.88 KM/H (reached after first hill, in the middle of downward 180 degree helix)
Top height: 189.523 ft or 57.77 M
Length (as of now, since I will rework the end to accommodate straight brakes per feedback): 4283.14 ft or 1305.5 M
Last edited by nerdygeeknl2 on March 30th, 2015, 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
WIP: In order of release priority: Nordschleife: Green Hell, unnamed B&M Floorless, unnamed Mack Launched Coaster
"I don't want to say never, because I think never is always the wrong answer." - Walter Bolliger

Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
That turn doesn't need brake fins on it if you've already slowed the train down. You cn probably let it coast through there at 10mph or something like that.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Coasterkidmwm wrote:
That turn doesn't need brake fins on it if you've already slowed the train down. You cn probably let it coast through there at 10mph or something like that.

If you mean the turn with the brakes into the station, the curve is entered at around 45 miles per hour, so at the time I decided a curved brake run will do. But I already addressed that now since after the feedback from mkingy and AmatsuNL I designed a turnaround element that leads into a long brake run with a gradual magnetic brake stop. I'll do further testing, both G-force testing of the new element and clearance testing with the scenery and supports as per mkingy's suggestion, and then I'll post an update including new POV and new pictures. :)

--- UPDATE ---

The new element is done with G-force testing! Final brake run is now straight. Mid-ride brake run before the new element is added - both to serve as a trim and to help manage the block system, ensuring problem-free operation. (Trains are not expected to stop at the run, as the brakes can serve as a trim - they will only stop in cases of emergencies, and in that unlikely event the brakes also act as a launch system to propel the train to the station.) This turnaround is not similar to the Hammerhead or other turnaround elements - it curves the train 360 degrees relative to the element starts, then does a banked S curve leading into a 180 degree downward quarter helix into the brake run.

Further testing is necessary for both clearance and optimizing the G-forces in other elements, as well as time to take pictures and a new POV, but it's almost midnight where I live so I'll have to go to sleep. Expect those in about 10 hours after the posting of this post, though! :D

TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 738.00 Points
Bank: 111,265.11 Points

mkingy User avatar

Points on hand: 28,058.00 Points
Yeah I love the picture style you've got going on there - very graphic novel-esque!
Coaster Count - 198
France 2019 Mini Trip Report

Additions:
  • Brakes are finally straight!
  • Launch speed decreased both for rider comfort reasons and to decrease the acceleration from 2G to 1.5G to meet realistic LSM acceleration while keeping the same length of launch track.
  • Top Gun-like inversion element replacing the overbanked curve before the final ejector airtime hill.
  • New turnaround element - Go up, then dive down in a 360 degree helix before doing a banked S-curve into a 180 degree quarter helix into the brake run.

Oh, yes, and I also added over-the-shoulder restraints, for three main reasons:
  1. Realism. The Hyper Coaster car cannot use the LSM fins of the rocket coaster track due to their design, and I also wanted working friction brakes.
  2. I read something interesting about race cars in the Nordschleife (the race track, not this track-inspired coaster track) requiring roll cages, so I wanted to simulate that claustrophobic feeling.
  3. To accomodate the Top Gun-like element.

Here are the new statistics:
Statistics: (based on NoLimits 2 figures, may not add up when using converters)
Launch speed: 70 MPH or 112.63 KM/H, reached with 1.5 G acceleration using linear synchronous motors
Top speed: 75.9 MPH or 122 KM/H (reached after first hill, in the middle of downward 180 degree helix)
Top height: 189.821 ft or 57.8575 M
Length: 5275.58 ft or 1608 M / without storage: 5222.38 or 1591.78 M

Also, here is a BRAND NEW POV:

And to accompany that new POV, here is a new set of images:

screenshot-2015-03-31-10-12-05 copy.jpg

screenshot-2015-03-31-10-12-59 copy.jpg

screenshot-2015-03-31-10-13-17 copy.jpg

screenshot-2015-03-31-10-13-34 copy.jpg

screenshot-2015-03-31-10-13-45 copy.jpg

screenshot-2015-03-31-10-13-56 copy.jpg

screenshot-2015-03-31-10-14-15 copy.jpg

screenshot-2015-03-31-10-14-28 copy.jpg

screenshot-2015-03-31-10-14-56 copy.jpg

screenshot-2015-03-31-10-15-14 copy.jpg

screenshot-2015-03-31-10-15-33 copy.jpg

screenshot-2015-03-31-10-15-58 copy.jpg

screenshot-2015-03-31-10-16-10 copy.jpg

screenshot-2015-03-31-10-16-29 copy.jpg

screenshot-2015-03-31-10-16-50 copy.jpg

screenshot-2015-03-31-10-17-01 copy.jpg

screenshot-2015-03-31-10-17-23 copy.jpg

screenshot-2015-03-31-10-17-39 copy.jpg

screenshot-2015-03-31-10-17-50 copy.jpg

screenshot-2015-03-31-10-18-05 copy.jpg

I'm trying to work on the supports so they become a little Intamin-y and less Prefabulous. It will take some time though, but I really wanted to make this update. :D

Blase Rhine User avatar

Points on hand: 30,499.00 Points

Its looking better! I like that you changed the coaster type. If you are going for realism make sure you pay attention to support detail. All of your supports look like prefabs at the moment. However you can easily change and add new supports that look more like something Intamin would do. Also some of your track has major banking issues that can be fixed by adding in more roll sections and slightly adjusting it. Also before your final brakes there is a slight issue where it curves. Use the strict and lock commands on nodes to help some of these transitions.

This project looks amazing and I would hate to see it not do as well based on some easy fixes. If you need me to better explain anything feel free to PM me. Again I love the concept you are going for! I just think that you could fix the small errors and create an amazing coaster. :)
Sometimes I dream of unicorns and oreos

Blase Rhine wrote:
Its looking better! I like that you changed the coaster type. If you are going for realism make sure you pay attention to support detail. All of your supports look like prefabs at the moment. However you can easily change and add new supports that look more like something Intamin would do. Also some of your track has major banking issues that can be fixed by adding in more roll sections and slightly adjusting it. Also before your final brakes there is a slight issue where it curves. Use the strict and lock commands on nodes to help some of these transitions.

This project looks amazing and I would hate to see it not do as well based on some easy fixes. If you need me to better explain anything feel free to PM me. Again I love the concept you are going for! I just think that you could fix the small errors and create an amazing coaster. :)

Thanks! I just noticed right after uploading. I'll try to optimize the lateral Gs and the rolls. As I mentioned at the bottom of the new I'm currently at work on making the supports better. Thanks for the suggestions! I forgot about the strict vertex option. I'll have to utilize it. :D

Points on hand: 7,295.00 Points

deere839 wrote:
awesome ride man

Thanks!

Also, an announcement - there may not be any updates tomorrow, I am going to do research on Intamin supports and their construction. I honestly don't know much about supporting a coaster I guess. I'll be back in this thread when I'm ready to update! :D I'll take my time, though if something happens I'll update.

Points on hand: 13,491.00 Points
Whoa, you're carrying these extremely detailed plans out! :D
-- I was happy to be with NL1 - [:')] --

lol240 wrote:
Whoa, you're carrying these extremely detailed plans out! :D

Thanks for noticing! :D Well, I may be a relative newcomer (only created my first non-demo coaster on February 2015), but I take this rather seriously, so I try to plan things out really detailed and then carry things out. (I still feel stupid for thinking magnetic brake runs could be curved though. :( To think that I get on Science competitions :geek: and then expect a curved coaster train to go through straight brake fins... :lol: )

I'm doing some search on Intamin supports, but I might post an update tomorrow perfecting the (lack of) curve in the brake run and fixing some roll issues. I'll have to get some sleep before that first. (11:59 PM over here in the Philippines. Don't worry, it's Summer here until June so I'm not going to miss school or anything :lol:

UPDATE in case there is still someone reading this: Please don't expect an update so soon because I'm trying to custom-support it (replacing all the prefab placeholders with Intamin style) as well as rebuilding some curves with Newton 2 because I can't get the radius comb to help me a lot :D

TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 738.00 Points
Bank: 111,265.11 Points

^ I was surprised someone still replied to this thread haha, thanks! Unfortunately there'll be no updates in a while, Intamin supporting is hard... but I do have a B&M that's coming along nicely, the same one in the screenshot contest and my avatar.

Points on hand: 13,491.00 Points
I believe this thread will stay strong as long as you keep updating a few or more contents! You're always welcomed! :D
-- I was happy to be with NL1 - [:')] --

Return to Hard Hat Area