Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park Trip Reports Oakwood meet up 2006 [IMG heavy]

Oakwood meet up 2006 [IMG heavy]

Visited a theme park and have a wild time?!? Post your trip report here and tell us all about it!

Post August 16th, 2006, 3:25 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 2,833.00 Points
Bank: 25,088.00 Points

Not all that successful again, with only me and Gaz turning up [lol]. Something about a train and thursdays stopped ECG coming along heh heh.

It was a great day though, ?????????14.50 to enter a park with 3 fantastic rides, I think so!! [lol]

I'll start off by rating the rides:

First: SPEED - 9/10

I thought this ride was just... well... awesome. I didn't have my hopes up about it before we went, but it proved me wrong big style. When you're standing in line waiting to go on it first time, the lift does make you feel a little nervous [lol] but once you're on it, it feels so good. The drop is over before you know it, which... I dunno, I'm trying to figure out whether it's a good thing or not heh. It does have good airtime, but it doesn't last long. The airhill is RIDICULOUS! We had a giggle looking at it before we went on, just at how fast the cars went over it, massive ejector all the way over it. It gets a little rough around the bottom of the loop, but who doesn't like a little roughness [;)] hehe. The little hop into the MCBR can hurt a little, I know my shoulders hurt at the end of the day, mostly cus of that, having said that, we did ride it 13 times [lol]. The helix at the end was extremely high g, akin to that of Nemesis's helix, which is always a good thing, heh.

Second: HYDRO - 8/10

As far as water rides go, I was very impressed, the drop was just awesome, floater air all the way down, gorgeous floater air infact. Although if you were sat in the front 2 rows, water gushed into your eyes about half way down the drop, stingy. You do get wet on this ride, our poncho's were a good idea! heh.

Lastly but not leastly: MEGAFOBIA - 8/10

Considering I'm not a big woodie fan, again I was impressed. One problem with this ride... OUCH! [lol] Ok seriously, if you sit in the back car, be prepared for pain! At the bottom of the drop, it is especially bad. Although there is a fair amount of pain around the rest of the rides drops too. But like I said before, who doesn't like a bit of rough stuff every now and then [;)]. The airtime on this ride is probably the best thing about it, no matter where you sit, you get piles of airtime on all of the hills and bumps. There is a lot of sneaky little dives to the side as well, that keep you guessing even after the 5 times we rode it, killer lats on them too. If you get the privaledge of sitting in the back car of the green train, this car has now been proclaimed territory of coastercrazy.com! as we put stickers on the front of both seats and they were still there when we rode the ride later.

Just a few tips about the park:

In the morning when you first enter the park, you have the choice to get on a train to the park itself, or walk. My advice is that you walk, as for some reason the train goes half way to germany and back before it gets to the park, and at a rather slow pace as well. As we found out when we left the park, it took far less time to walk back to the park entrance.

If you are planning on using a mobile phone at Oakwood, think again, because you can't, because it's in Wales and I'm not so sure they even know what mobile phones are, let alone how to make it so there is a signal in places where people might actually need it!! [lol]

Ok, enough blabbering on about nothing much, here's the photos!

The journey

enough of that, now the rides [lol]:

Speed

would someone like to tell me what the HELL is going on with this support? why isn't it just straight down? [confused]

Hydro

Megafobia

Random park stuff!

This is a piece of Megafobia that I robbed [:)] I now own a piece of history! [lol]

Post August 16th, 2006, 4:01 pm

Points on hand: 4,830.00 Points

What is that stuff in that last picture? A piece of the restraint?

Post August 16th, 2006, 4:04 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 2,833.00 Points
Bank: 25,088.00 Points

Yeah, it's a piece of the rubber stuff that goes on the lap bar type thingy [;)]

Post August 16th, 2006, 4:09 pm

Points on hand: 5,761.00 Points

its a piece of restraint that was faling off the lap bars leaving just the steel bar to hold you in.

it was a brill day and speed surprised us both. a dark horse in a small park in the middle of nowhere. we will be going back there next year.

i do have an edited video but im having problems sending it at the moment. grim and matt have offered to host it so hopefully it will be avaliable to all of you soon.
Making screams come true

Post August 16th, 2006, 4:47 pm

Points on hand: 4,830.00 Points

Post August 16th, 2006, 5:14 pm

Points on hand: 2,092.00 Points
Bank: 10.00 Points

I hope you enjoyed the water fountains, fireworks and especially the dancer/singer's version of Kaiser Chiefs [pshades]

Post August 16th, 2006, 5:36 pm

didnt stay for them, they looked really crappy so we didnt bother. plus we had both been up since 4:30 am and it was nearing 10pm so we decided it was time to leave and find a hotel for the night.
Making screams come true

Post August 17th, 2006, 6:21 pm

video will be avalable very soon
Making screams come true

Post August 18th, 2006, 7:11 am

Points on hand: 5,473.00 Points
Looks like you had a nice day. Have always wanted to go to Oakwood to ride Megafobia, and of course now with Speed I that doesn't make it any less appealing[;)]
Coaster count: 153
Moving to Singapore in july!

Post August 18th, 2006, 8:45 am

Points on hand: 2,593.00 Points
Meh, the lot of you M.E.H!

I was so chuffing gutted. National Rail suck absolute asshole. I was so p**Sed off with them.
But anyway, nice to see you had a nice trip. Not!
I wanted to go[:(].

Post August 18th, 2006, 10:24 am

i know you wanted to come but tough Shiz, you got screwed by national rail.
well be going again next year so till then
Making screams come true

Post August 21st, 2006, 2:45 am

Points on hand: 5,993.00 Points

Thanks for posting the TR man! Excellent pictures for sure!

Return to Theme Park Trip Reports