Board index Roller Coaster Games Roller Coaster Tycoon 1, 2 & 3 Options Editor options.txt

Options Editor options.txt

Discuss anything related to the Roller Coaster Tycoon 1, 2 and 3.

Post March 2nd, 2010, 6:09 pm

Points on hand: 3,624.00 Points
I am trying to add new options in my rct3 options.txt file, either typing in manually or using the options editor, but every time I start the game, it resets the options.txt file back to the defaults, deleting all my added options in the file. I am going round in circles and don't know what to do.

I am on windows 7 and I have full security permission for editing the file; it lets me save the changes, so that's ok, but like I said, every time I restart the game and check my options.txt file, it has gone back to the defaults.

Please can anyone help?

Thanks.

Post March 3rd, 2010, 11:29 am
Mikey User avatar
Site Admin
Site Admin

Points on hand: 6,049.50 Points

Post March 3rd, 2010, 12:35 pm

Thanks I will try that, but won't that stop me from changing the options in the game, on the options screen?

Post March 3rd, 2010, 4:11 pm
Dirk_Ermen User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 2,175.50 Points
Bank: 45,000.00 Points
are you sure that you are editing the correct file? (I remember the correct file is hidden somewhere in some hidden folders. Without showing the hidden folders you can't even reach the file you'll need.)
Coastercount: 1410 (I've seen the world and it's horrid contraptions... @.@)
- Wood: 142
- Steel: 1268

Post March 3rd, 2010, 6:56 pm

yes I am aware that the file is hidden and I have found it. I have experimented and the only way around this is to set the options you want in the game first, then edit the txt file with your additions, then open the file properties and tick the box for read only.

That works when you restart the game but you have to clear the read only tick box before you can make any more changes again.

Post March 3rd, 2010, 9:34 pm

Points on hand: 72.00 Points
Bank: 12,611.00 Points
Use wordpad instead of notepad. For some reason notepad won't load it up with all the line breaks while wordpad does.

Post March 4th, 2010, 9:14 am

Thanks for the advice.

I changed the file properties to open with Wordpad, started the game then closed it again, checked the the options file and noticed it had rearranged the order of some of the options, but my additions were still there, so I changed the properties back to open with Notepad, started the game and it works fine now, all my tracks can intersect and I can chanege the game options without deleting my additions to the options.txt file.

Return to Roller Coaster Tycoon 1, 2 & 3