Board index Off Topic Board Off Topic Discussion Pay As You Drive!

Pay As You Drive!

Here, anything goes. Talk about anything that you would like to talk about!

Post June 10th, 2005, 4:29 am

Points on hand: 3,285.00 Points

Post June 10th, 2005, 5:53 am
hyyyper User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 9,207.00 Points

Post June 10th, 2005, 6:28 am
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 2,798.00 Points
Bank: 25,088.00 Points

I was thinking of making a topic about this myself, only you got out of bed first [lol]. I think this is pretty ridiculous, thinking about it now, but I'm sure in time that it won't seem like anything. It does seem crazily expensive to me though, I watched the news yesterday and a woman on there did a theoretical drive, from just outside Manchester, into greater Manchester, it was a journey of 6 miles and had the "pay as you go" thing been already introduced, it would have cost her ?????????6.40p, now for 6 miles that is absolutely ridiculous. If thats the sort of cost we're looking at here, how much will it cost to go on holiday around the country? It'll probaby cost me more to go from here (Wolverhampton) to Cornwall, than it would for me to fly to France or something. Its like ..... er ..... how ever many hundred miles from here to Cornwall so thats like ?????????200 tax!!!. I think this pay as you go scheme may turn us all into couch potato's, while its designed to do the oppostie and get us walking, cycling and on the buses. The trouble with that is, as a nation we are just too lazy [lol]

At the moment, I use the bus to get from my house to the city centre, but when I get a car, I will want to drive it into town rather than take the bus, and with this new pay as you go scheme it'll cost me about ?????????6 to get from my house into Wolverhampton city centre in a car, whereas the bus is 50p ...... looks like I'll be taking the bus forever then [V]

Right now I think this is pretty stupid and far too expensive, but I'm sure in the future we might all thank it ..... well, probably not but whatever.

Post June 10th, 2005, 10:16 am

Points on hand: 3,960.00 Points

This is totaly stupid! Who ever though of this? For longer trips on the motorway, it will double the cost. Toll stations are the best bet.

Post June 10th, 2005, 10:36 am
Brtnboarder495 Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 5,362.00 Points

Post June 10th, 2005, 10:43 am

I agree with Zan. If you ever go to France, you can see what effect it has. The roads are so nice and smooth.

Post June 10th, 2005, 10:49 am

Points on hand: 3,059.00 Points
Heres my take on any taxes:

You need them. Otherwise, how do things the Gov. take care of get paid for? Just out of thin air? Everyone here in the states complains of bad roads, schools, etc. yet they probably avoid paying taxes whenever possible.

Its the same for multi-millionaires. They give away money in charity because its a tax write off. Yes, the money goes to a good cause 99% of the time. But those huge sums of money, imagine if they were taxed what things we could do to our roads and schools?

The more people try to evade taxes the less funded the Gov. gets which then causes it to downfall and then everyone is complaining asking why. Well, the reason falls back on the people, not the Gov.

So do road taxes suck? Yes, they do. However, I pay 1 dollar (round trip which is 10 miles) every single day to and fro from work. At first, it seemed crappy but its a direct shot to work and the roads, while they recently redid them, are now perfect. Infact, whenever I need to go anywhere East or West of me, I take the turnpike - no matter the cost. Heck, I took it from my place to into New Jersey (a 9 hour drive) and it cost me like 20 bucks, but it was the quickest way and the roads are always great.

Once you get off those toll roads, normally roads suck, construction lasts longer and theres generally more traffic.

Post June 10th, 2005, 11:41 am

Points on hand: 5,993.00 Points

I wonder if they will offer a season pass to lesson the charges ... [lol] (kidding)

Post June 10th, 2005, 12:00 pm

Points on hand: 72.00 Points
Bank: 12,611.00 Points
They should use the collected $$ to expand their roads. Then remove the charges.

Post June 10th, 2005, 12:54 pm
cjd

Points on hand: 4,718.00 Points

Man, that's bull crap. Paying for gas is expensive enough... but charging for everyday travel? Give me a break. I hope that America doesn't get any stupid ideas from this. I already pay 10 cents per mile to gas companies, and the last thing I need is to have to pay the government as well.

Post June 10th, 2005, 2:00 pm
hyyyper User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

cjd, you happy you have roads to drive on....without taxes you would be driving over rough land....

Post June 10th, 2005, 2:04 pm

Points on hand: 3,318.00 Points
Location: Kettering, England / Northamptonshire, United Kingdom

The only place i went with tolls in Spain and its a pain in the ass. You always have to carry spare change with you and there is so many of them. If ever have to change roads you have to pay etc, man it sucks. I wouldnt of said normal roads are that bad in the UK, i can live with it...although in some places the roads are generaly over congested. But thats mainly London and Birmingham...places i tend not to want to visit

Post June 10th, 2005, 2:12 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

you're lucky in America, your "gas" as you call it, is dirt cheap compared to the petrol prices here, you pay like 29p (about 50 cents) a litre or something where as we pay closer to 90p (about $1.50) a litre (on average).

Real, I don't think taxes are a bad idea, obviously not, without taxes of any kind, the government wouldn't have any money to spend at all. So obviously there has to be taxes, but seriously, do you not think paying up to ?????????1.40 (about $2.50) per mile is a reasonable price!? You said you had to pay 1 dollar for a 10 mile round trip, well thats not much compared to the 25 dollars I'd have to pay to make a 10 mile trip here in the UK is it? This new pay as you go road tax, is far too expensive in my opinion.

Post June 10th, 2005, 2:12 pm
coolbeans326 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 6,184.00 Points

Heres my take on any taxes:

You need them. Otherwise, how do things the Gov. take care of get paid for? Just out of thin air? Everyone here in the states complains of bad roads, schools, etc. yet they probably avoid paying taxes whenever possible.

I don't think you are realizing how different this tax is from other taxes. I mean, this isn't like a you owe this much to the government so we can fix your roads, its a first you have to buy your $20,000 car, then you have to buy the gas to make your car go, and now you have to pay to use your car. Wtf? Next they'll be taxing you on how often you take a crap.

Post June 10th, 2005, 3:09 pm

Points on hand: 5,801.00 Points

Originally posted by hyyyper

cjd, you happy you have roads to drive on....without taxes you would be driving over rough land....

For a minute there, I thought I was.....

^Thats a daily site on roads around Toronto [:(!]

Post June 10th, 2005, 3:15 pm
Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

Points on hand: 11,527.60 Points
Bank: 187,052.60 Points

I was thinking of making a topic about this myself, only you got out of bed first.

Never knew you two slept together for him to beat you out of bed [;)]

Post June 10th, 2005, 3:19 pm

Post June 10th, 2005, 3:30 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post June 10th, 2005, 3:31 pm

Post June 10th, 2005, 3:45 pm
hyyyper User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

well FN, take my advice:

IF U BUY A MONSTERTRUCK, YOU DON'T NEED ROADS

Post June 10th, 2005, 4:08 pm

Points on hand: 2,772.00 Points

LOL!

Anyway, if this is about Congestion in the cities, why the hell would you have to pay in rural areas? And I dont think this would work that well, alot of people have to travle long distances to work. I have to go 10 miles to get to my school. People will probably start protesting about this.

Post June 10th, 2005, 4:20 pm
Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

Points on hand: 11,527.60 Points
Bank: 187,052.60 Points

I have to go 10 miles to get to my school.

10 miles is nothing!

Post June 10th, 2005, 4:23 pm

yeah! When I was a kid, way back when, I had to crawl 25 miles to school in 5 foot snow drifts, up hill both ways!!

Post June 10th, 2005, 5:15 pm
hyyyper User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

i've got 10km to go wich is 6,25 miles, every day 20 kms, on my bike, so it takes about half an hour

Post June 10th, 2005, 5:43 pm

Points on hand: 3,318.00 Points
Location: Kettering, England / Northamptonshire, United Kingdom

Well i dont mean to be rude but i have to travel 600 miles to school. Its in the French Alps. The french alp chicks are so hot

Next

Return to Off Topic Discussion