Board index Public Relations Site Related post editing

post editing

Posts that are directly related to the site.

Post August 3rd, 2004, 4:41 pm

Points on hand: 5,801.00 Points

How come when someone edits a post within a thread it bumps it back to the top of the thread and it always says there is a new post by the person who edited their post.
gets confusing sometimes when the forum says there is a new post in a thread and then you go looking for it and there really isnt one lol
:P

Post August 3rd, 2004, 5:06 pm

Points on hand: 2,857.00 Points

Because.. you have a number of choices when it comes to editing posts on a message board

- Not to allow it at all / limited time: Unfair on the people who need to modify for typos, add information at a later time who aren't a mod or admin etc.
- Not to bump or otherwise show the thread as having changed: I think this is the stupidest method. I think IB has it this way [please correct me if i'm wrong]. There is new information / a change so therefore the information needs to be bumped up so it is read or clearly there is no point
- Bump it and show who edited, as well as a "Last edited by" tag under the post for everyones information. This although it can be confusing, I think is the best way of doing it, so its clear something has changed. Using the blue arrows you can navigate direct to the post I believe [although WWS was having some code problems with this that I don't know if they were resolved, he would have to talk to you about that]

Anyway, this is the way of Snitz [:D]. Hope my random blabberings didn't bore you too much [;)] There are prolly other options too that I missed out. Editing posts without it showing up is administrators priviledge [:P] So don't be so lazy and use those extra clicks to find the edited post.. they are all going towards WWS's keycounter team [:)] [if you are a member!]

for the sake of irony

Post August 3rd, 2004, 5:23 pm

Points on hand: 6,164.00 Points

Originally posted by Fornication Nation

How come when someone edits a post within a thread it bumps it back to the top of the thread and it always says there is a new post by the person who edited their post.
gets confusing sometimes when the forum says there is a new post in a thread and then you go looking for it and there really isnt one lol
:P

Is that English? [lol] j/k

Post August 3rd, 2004, 5:31 pm

Points on hand: 5,801.00 Points

yeah, english without any punctuation or grammer lol

@altisdesign - Yeah I agree it is a good idea to show that someone edited it, but I wish there was someway that when viewing the forum where it says 'Latest post by xxxxx' or whatever it says there, I wish it would say whether the latest thing was an edit or a new post

Post August 3rd, 2004, 6:16 pm

Points on hand: 2,857.00 Points

Return to Site Related