Board index Off Topic Board Off Topic Discussion Post your car

Post your car

Here, anything goes. Talk about anything that you would like to talk about!

Post November 12th, 2013, 2:16 am

Points on hand: 85.00 Points
Bank: 2,503.00 Points
Originally posted by fear the four

Originally posted by blackhand1001
Whatever makes you feel better about spending twice the value of the car on maintenance in the next year ;)

At least it's not a Mustang?

Shots fired.

Post November 12th, 2013, 1:01 pm

Originally posted by Coasterkidmwm

My car has a laundry list of laughably stupid issues

I'm with you there haha. At least my problems aren't mechanical. The big issue with that though is that every goddamn thing in my car is some automated BS from the early 2000's. I'll do my list if you show me yours:
  • NEW! Coolant leaks out the bottom of the car.

• NEW! Tape player flips a tape 5 times over and then ejects it with an error. Can't listen to my iPod anymore. [:(]

• CD Player eats CDs for lunch.

• Radio/CD/Tape/Audio requires a fuse to be put in AFTER the car is started, and requires the fuse to be taken out BEFORE the car is turned off. If those two steps are not followed, the car will think it is being stolen for 4 days straight, which causes it to honk a lot and drain your battery to the point where it cannot be jump started. Also, you cannot do this while on the move because it requires the driver's side door to be open to access the fuse box. (I learned all this the hard way last winter, 7 times)

• A whistle/moan occurs occasionally when the A/C is on (sounds like a baby whale).

• The automatic day/night rear view mirror doesn't work, so the fluid was drained so it wouldn't be stuck in night mode. Now it's in day mode, but it's extremely foggy because of the fluid remains. I want to get an aftermarket rear view mirror but the issue is that a computer light sensor chip is embedded into my windshield for the day/night sensor therefore making it impossible to remove.

• The temperature gauge (important b/c my coolant is leaking) happens to work occasionally when it feels like it.

Thank god a lot of it is just convenience bullsh*t. Engine runs fine, transmission is the only thing not automated so it's not screwed up like everything else automated, hub caps look jank but they're just aesthetic anyway so the wheels are fine, suspension's fine considering I autocrossed it and it didn't collapse. So... if you have mechanical problems I feel bad for you. But there's my list!

Post November 12th, 2013, 1:21 pm
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
Look up the General Motors "Passlock" feature. It effectively totals lots of vehicles and almost totalled mine.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post November 12th, 2013, 1:31 pm

That sounds like fun. Of course it would "hopefully solved" by taking it to a dealership to have some new Passlock ECU that probably costs a thousand dollars or something. Ew.

Post November 12th, 2013, 2:00 pm
stevecoaster User avatar
CoasterCrazy Media
CoasterCrazy Media

Points on hand: 3,031.00 Points

2006 Acura RSX

Image Insert:
[size=0.1] 3657.52 KB[/size=0.1]
Vasco XTR

Post November 12th, 2013, 3:23 pm

Points on hand: 1,085.00 Points
Justin, all those problems you've listed are just your typical joys of owning a fine piece of German engineering [:)]

At least you didn't have a stud broke off in your wheel hub lol
This is not my signature.

Post November 12th, 2013, 5:39 pm
True Addicts
True Addicts

I'll upgrade my list for AJ since I sympathize with his winnartastic vehicle:

~Dashboard curls up so that you can see the nice "I have a major fever" snot colored foamy stuff under the dash (which powders when you touch it). It popped out a vent already and the contraction gets worse with time.

~Ratcheting mechanism that holds up the parking brake is broken. Brake works, need to prop it up with a board against the dash if I ever park on a hill.

~Windows scratch themselves when cranked up or down, leaving visible vertical lines. Some temperature issue relating thing makes something in the door swell to do this.

~Minor power steering fluid leak

~Hood latch is so corroded that I need to move part of the closing mechanism over with a butter knife while slamming the hood to close it

~Metallic paint on the plastic hubcaps is corroding.

~Shifter button (it's an automatic) shoots out of the handle and then I have to find the button on the floor and put it back into the shifter to change gears (drive to park or reverse, stuff like that). I put a sock over the shifter to catch the button on the off chance it ejects. Usually ejects when you press it "aggressively" (IE had a bad day). I don't mean it falls out, I mean it'll literally shoot the button in an arc a good foot out of the shifter.

~The center line of the rear defroster is broken, but the rest are fine. I drive around with an inch of ice dead center on the windshield in the winter until the whole car gets warm enough to melt it.

~Randomly occurring floor leak (awkward damp spot in the carpet) that is linear and behind the front passenger seat. It keeps growing towards the rear passenger's side door in a perfect 1cm thick line. No idea what the hell this is. It also corroded the ?????????finish????????? on the ?????????betch????????? seatbelt and left rust stains on everything that seatbelt touched. Seatbelt is probably fine but I don't allow people to sit there anymore.

~Windows roll down slowly over time so I have to crank them up about half a centimeter every two months or so

~Windshield wiper fluid tank leaks (probably at the seal between the pump and the tank. It barely holds an inch in the winter and gets better in the summer so I suspect it's a seal somewhere.

~Driver's side door interior trim sticks out of the door. Gave up on trying to glue it, so now I just slam the door on it and it looks like a dog's tongue while the dog is running with its mouth open.

~Just replaced part of the ignition system. Half the value of the car well spent (google "general motors passlock"

~Body damage from tall SUV bumpers backing into the hood before I owned it. I suspect the driver that did this was probably fat.

~Driver's side windshield trim is held on with duct tape. If I don't tape it down it oscillates in the wind and starts hitting the windshield. I also can't just remove it.

~Shocks are so worn that when I close the door of the car it oscillates side to side. I can make it look like I'm getting road head if I wiggle my butt in the seat. Kind of like riding on a boat.

I need a real job

Post November 12th, 2013, 10:36 pm
jayman Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 3,115.00 Points

heh.. i have a 1989 volvo 240 gl . my list of things wrong is short..
the odometer is stopped at 212,700 miles. (it probably has around 250 on it)
the ground signal to the fuel pump relay from the ecu dissapeared. i grounded the relay to the frame. i just cant leave the ignition on without the car running for very long
the rear left window is disconnected because the previous owner never went in there to tighten the regulator .
and thats about it .. not bad for a 25 year old car with a quarter million miles on it .

Post November 13th, 2013, 6:10 am
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 2,808.00 Points
Bank: 25,088.00 Points

Here is my list of car faults:

Focus:

Everything is perfect.

Fiesta:

Some toss pot has opened their car door into my passenger side door and there's a tiny blue dink in the paint.

Post November 13th, 2013, 7:05 am
mkingy User avatar

Points on hand: 28,053.00 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points
Your old car did sound like it was going to explode when you accelerated though. That was fun.
Coaster Count - 198
France 2019 Mini Trip Report

Post November 13th, 2013, 10:21 am
True Addicts
True Addicts

I forgot to add that mine vibrates in reverse and when you shift from reverse to drive the front driver's side half rises by an inch accompanied by a creak. Motor mounts probably lol

Post November 13th, 2013, 10:58 am
TheArchitect User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 501,147.00 Points
Bank: 498,048.00 Points

Post November 13th, 2013, 1:00 pm

Post November 13th, 2013, 4:29 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Originally posted by mkingy

Your old car did sound like it was going to explode when you accelerated though. That was fun.

It was amusing for a visitor to the car, sure: for me, every day, not so much! [:P]

The Fiesta has an EcoBoost engine, and it's the oddest sounding engine I've ever heard. When I go over about 3000 revs, the sound really reminds me of one of the pod racers from Star Wars: Episode 1. Like a cross between a Tie Fighter and a diesel powered boat. I can't decide yet whether the sound is totally awesome, or really daft [lol]

Post November 13th, 2013, 9:19 pm
True Addicts
True Addicts

I'll post some pics tomorrow hopefully it's dark out and below 65 degrees, which makes it not worth being outside.

Post November 14th, 2013, 8:59 am
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Are you kidding? I only go outside if it's below 65 degrees...

Post November 14th, 2013, 10:20 am
mkingy User avatar

Points on hand: 28,053.00 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points

Post November 14th, 2013, 10:52 am
True Addicts
True Addicts

I'd prefer it to be above 80 at all times but okay.

Post November 14th, 2013, 1:22 pm
TheArchitect User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 501,147.00 Points
Bank: 498,048.00 Points

Post November 14th, 2013, 2:02 pm
True Addicts
True Addicts

I need to recharge batteries for my camera jeez

Post November 14th, 2013, 4:10 pm

Points on hand: 1,085.00 Points
Use that fancy flip phone of yours.
This is not my signature.

Post November 15th, 2013, 7:20 pm
True Addicts
True Addicts

Requested album of my precision engineered machine:

http://imgur.com/a/km05e#0

Post November 15th, 2013, 9:12 pm
Mikey User avatar
Site Admin
Site Admin

Points on hand: 6,049.50 Points

Well, when the season ended I decided I would pass down Super Six-Four to the intern who has been promoted to a full time position at TPI. Three engines, and over 500,000 miles were completed in that car. It's earned it's place and I will never get rid of it.

I decided it was perhaps time to upgrade. I looked around, went to several auctions, but just was not impressed at the selection of vehicles on offer in Houston. I got lucky at a Lexus dealership after searching every lot from Galveston to Conroe.

I present Super-Six-Nine,

A 2009 Ford Escape Limited, Black on Black. Her predecessor left some pretty big shoes to fill, both in terms of performance, handling, and general badassery. After some major surgery, some after market parts, and the additional of the usual TPI refinements I think she'll do.

Outfitted with the usual refinements,

Black on Black, "Wheel of Innovation" Livery
VIN 1, FWD
Duratec 3.0, 329 HP (Modified Internals, Super Charger)
6 Speed 6F55 Transmission, After Market Oil Cooler
EBC Performance Rotors + Pads (Dual Piston Calipers soon)
TPI Remote Management & Diagnostics /w Tracking + Remote Shutdown
TPI Communications Package
Onboard Air Compressor, Secondary Battery
KL5A Train Horn

0-60 in 6.1 seconds with the wheels chirping through first and second. She will outrun a non-turbo Porsche Cayenne until it hits the limiter. I haven't found a turbo owner at the drag strip, but if I did I would expect to loose only by a hair.

Post November 16th, 2013, 12:33 am

Points on hand: 2,652.00 Points
Bank: 2,739.00 Points

As someone who works in the roadside assistance tow industry all I have to say is sometimes you gotta go with function over fashion. BMWs and benz's may look sweet on a Friday night on the town, but come Saturday morning you just wanna open your eyes and prey that it didn't spend the night. They run great until you take them off the lot. The monthly payments are nothing compared to the maintenance and regular upkeep costs. Not to mention insurance. Us Americans are stupid when it comes to luxury cars. BMW and Mercedes are the European equivalent to ford and gm, well, when they were truly USA made.
"if you found your laughin' place, how come you ain't laughin'."https://www.facebook.com/calicoaster1/

Post November 16th, 2013, 12:49 am
True Addicts
True Addicts

I'd rather have a Benz than a car that shoots buttons

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic Discussion