Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park News & Construction! 'New' Coaster for The Great Escape!

'New' Coaster for The Great Escape!

Theme Park Construction And News Forum

Post December 13th, 2005, 12:41 pm

Points on hand: 5,801.00 Points

Parts from Six Flags AstroWorld's Serial Thriller have started to arrive at The Great Escape in New York.
The Great Escape is also home to the Crystal Beach Comet.

Click below for pictures.
Last edited by Canadmos on February 18th, 2006, 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post December 13th, 2005, 12:42 pm

Post December 13th, 2005, 1:00 pm

Points on hand: 1,609.00 Points
Crystal Beach Comet

You dont know how much i miss that coaster and park...It was fun while it lasted..I was there for the closing of Crystal Beach...[V].

Post December 13th, 2005, 4:49 pm

Points on hand: 35.00 Points

I'm very happy to see SFAW's rides being relocated elsewhere, but honestly one SLC is more than enough for a state, they are so dang painful. But at least I get to add another coaster to my track record next summer.[peakhill]

Post December 13th, 2005, 6:02 pm

Points on hand: 1,916.00 Points

yay! this means we wont get it!! (sfft) I hope we get something else though!

Post December 13th, 2005, 7:06 pm

Points on hand: 62.00 Points
yay new ride! lol I live in vermont, the great escape is one of the closest parks from here (2 hours away lol)

Btw... The Comet is a MUST ride if u ever go there (not like very many people do lol)

Post December 13th, 2005, 9:06 pm

Points on hand: -1,299.00 Points
Bank: 1,430.56 Points
its good to see that a old ride is moving to a other park and SLC are fun its like (TOP GUN) at Wonderland and they are fun and rough too but they are funner

Post December 14th, 2005, 4:30 pm

Originally posted by SixFlagsFiesta

Most of the track pieces are still being crated up.
Maybe that's because Serial Thriller's pieces just arrived a few days ago.

Post December 29th, 2005, 7:08 pm

holy crap thats fast. If were gunna get anything at sfft, its gunna hve to show up soon cause its gotta get constructed too. But im suprised how far along this is in two weeks!

Post December 29th, 2005, 7:52 pm

Astro World's splash boat thing (choot the chute whatever you want to call it) is also starting to arrive at Great Escape

Post December 29th, 2005, 9:25 pm

were getting a waterpark expansion thi year though, right? Ill be happy with nothing this year if we get a bnm flyer next year!

Post December 31st, 2005, 1:34 am
coolbeans326 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 6,184.00 Points

Originally posted by Jakizle

were getting a waterpark expansion thi year though, right? Ill be happy with nothing this year if we get a bnm flyer next year!

I thought you just moved over near SFNE?

Post December 31st, 2005, 11:33 am

Points on hand: 5,993.00 Points

OK, when I was a kid the Great Escape was my home park. Previously I think it was like "Frontier Land" or something. My question though, is who lives THAT close to my parents that the next time I make it to NY I'll have to make a trip to GE to meet? (My folks are in Troy, NY -- just South of Lake George.)

Originally posted by SixFlagsFiesta

@ Tcon, its the bamboo shoot.

Wasn't me bud ..

Post December 31st, 2005, 12:42 pm

Originally posted by coolbeans326

Originally posted by Jakizle

I thought you just moved over near SFNE?

As soon as school releases im moving back to San Antonio, and thats where i have season passes. I also lived there for 5 years previously, so i call it my homepark. Ive watched us go from not even having poltergesit and superman, but 5 or so years later now im really exictied that we SHOULD be getting something big in 07. Hack, with a golden ticket 7 years in a row dont you think Six Flags could recognize it with a coaster? I mean how many six flags parks have gotten 7 goldens in a row? We could still get XLR8, Viper, Batman The Escape, or Texas cyclone, but parts would have to show up soon.

The think i dont like about great escape is its location, but i guess thats where the name comes from. When we drive to Vermont every year we go right by it cause we got off at exit 22/24 to get on a road that shoots toward Waterbury VT. But it will be nice if they build a hotel up there, i think it would bring in more guests. BTW, what kinda water ride is bamboo shoots?

Post December 31st, 2005, 1:07 pm

^What do you mean what's so bad about its location?

Post December 31st, 2005, 4:16 pm

Well Great Escpa eisnt really that close to nay major cities like most Six Flag Parks are. Correct me if im wrong. Fiesta do you have any idea ho wpossible a coaster for sfft is in 07?

Post December 31st, 2005, 4:20 pm

The Great Escape was never supposed to be close to a major city. It has been in Lake George forever (and before it was called The Great Escape) as a small park to help with tourism in that area, that is all. The toughest competition TGE had was with Rye Beach and Coney Island, and since they were so far apart, it was hardl;y even competition. I hung my hat at TGE for years because it was only an hour or so North of my folks house.

Post December 31st, 2005, 6:24 pm

Pssst ... Sixflags: Resize your pics before posting, eh? I feel sorry for those poor saps on dail-up trying to access this site. [lol]

Post January 4th, 2006, 5:08 pm
stevecoaster User avatar
CoasterCrazy Media
CoasterCrazy Media

Points on hand: 3,031.00 Points

yea, its got to be an SLC model just like the rest of the suspending looping coasters. I mean has vekoma made any custom ones that are not similar to that design?

Post January 4th, 2006, 5:19 pm

Points on hand: 2,601.00 Points

There is an "extended SLC" version that includes a close-to-the-ground helix right at the end before the brake run. I think there is one of these in the US (not sure where). The only one of those I've ridden was "Cobra" at the (now closed) Ratanga Junction in Cape Town, S.Africa.

The helix was fun and intense, since it was almost totally hidden in some bamboo reeds. The rest of the ride was ROUGH!!!

Speaking of which, those of you near the Great Escape might be happy to know that the front seat and back two seats of Serial Thriller from Astroworld are fairly smooth. Smooth enough for repeated rides, even!

Avoid row three, though. OW OW OW

Post January 4th, 2006, 5:24 pm

Points on hand: 1,843.00 Points

There's also a few SLC's with custom layouts, although I think one of them's basically the same as the standard ones only with the station in a different location. http://www.rcdb.com/installationresult.htm?column=1,10,3,4,5&order=1,2&model=104

Post January 4th, 2006, 5:47 pm

Points on hand: 4,152.00 Points

Post January 4th, 2006, 5:58 pm

has a station in another place because of space restrictions. This ride is the smoothest SLC ive been on outta 3, but who knows. Its still a coaster!

Post August 4th, 2006, 2:08 am

Points on hand: 2,316.00 Points
Okay, I know this topic is very old, but I am around 30 minutes from TGE, it's my home park. I haven't heard of any new rides for a long time, other than Canyon Blaster and that kiddie ride. I've only been on the SLC at SFNE, but I loved it. It would sure make TGE better though, because right now all it has is the Comet and the Boomerang. And Steamin' Demon if you count that death machine as a ride.

So, any more news?

Post October 2nd, 2006, 5:06 pm

Points on hand: 1,803.00 Points

I hope they get it although the reason it's not being installed is becasue of the new managment not wanting to do anything.

Next

Return to Theme Park News & Construction!