Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park News & Construction! how do you see a coaster???????

how do you see a coaster???????

Theme Park Construction And News Forum

Post August 9th, 2007, 7:01 pm

Points on hand: 5,761.00 Points

very simple question for thought

how do you see a coaster?

when you look at a roller coaster what do you think, whats your prespective, what do you see???

i have a very mechanical mind ansd when i look at a coaster i see a perfeclty working well designed machine with chains, cogs, and steel for our enjoyment.

i seem to feel that other people look on them diffrently so how do you see one?
Making screams come true

Post August 9th, 2007, 7:20 pm

Points on hand: 1,878.00 Points
I just really look for the train, and then when I find it I'll just follow it with my eyes.

Post August 9th, 2007, 7:20 pm

Points on hand: 4,830.00 Points

I really never thought about how I think about a coaster. But since you mention it I just love the looks of the heart lined turns it just looks like pure perfection and is a beast to ride. There is my 2 cents.

Post August 9th, 2007, 8:08 pm

Points on hand: 1,469.00 Points
I look at the supports, and the joints in the supports, and where they hit the ground. I find structures fascinating.

Post August 9th, 2007, 8:22 pm

Points on hand: 1,916.00 Points

I see a coaster through my eyes, using the handy functions of the Retina, Cornea, Iris, Pupil, ect.

Post August 9th, 2007, 8:22 pm

Points on hand: 929.00 Points
Bank: 2,385.00 Points

Post August 9th, 2007, 8:46 pm

Points on hand: 895.00 Points

ALot of times I view coasters as art, there is nothing more spectacular than a well designed, visually appealing coaster :)

Post August 9th, 2007, 8:49 pm

Points on hand: 664.00 Points
It's like riding on a giant equation![:p]

I look at it as a very specialized type of artwork. Any self-proclaimed modern artist can make up a bunch of curves out of metal or wood and call it art, but the design of a roller coaster goes far beyond that. It takes a different kind of artistic mind to be able to design something that not only looks cool, but also plays off of the fears and emotions of the riders to take them on a journey with a beginning, middle, and end. The designer is kind of like the author of a book; he has to make sure that his work has a logical flow and keeps its audience entertained right up until the end.

I think it's really cool how it combines art with science. It's like a giant sculpture, but the whole thing has to be designed with the laws of physics, rider comfort, and the endurance of the human body in mind.

Post August 9th, 2007, 9:16 pm

Points on hand: 4,152.00 Points

Post August 9th, 2007, 9:23 pm

Points on hand: 4,046.00 Points
i think of a coaster as a Picasso painting, ofcourse the background, with random strokes of beautiful color thrown all over the place. A coaster is the same way. The ground, with hills and inversions thrown all over the landscape in so many bright appealing colors that make me wanna get on as fast as possible... coaster's are just another form of art, the only difference, is that we can physicly enjoy it.

Post August 9th, 2007, 9:54 pm

Points on hand: 2,400.00 Points

When ever I envision a coaster, I always see beemer hyper hills lol...

I have no idea why.

Post August 9th, 2007, 10:49 pm

Points on hand: 7,125.00 Points

same here calaway, and when i see one i just go crazy, look at the awesome supports, and the excitment level that it contains...lol

Post August 9th, 2007, 10:56 pm

Points on hand: 3,189.00 Points

When I'm driving up to a park with great coasters, I go absolutely insane. Get really hyper, and can't stop telling my family or whoever's with me about everything I see.

I see them as things that can give me a sensation that I won't get anywhere else, and a kinda feeling that just makes me go "woah. That's just chuffing awesome."

Post August 9th, 2007, 11:07 pm

Points on hand: 1,840.00 Points
When I see a roller coaster, I just see a coaster, ya know.

Post August 9th, 2007, 11:15 pm

Points on hand: 10,012.00 Points
If I see a roller coaster, it's a hard description how I think of them. First, if it's new, I'll see it and go frickin' crazy. I'll be thinking, well it exists, and wow it's huge and it's awesome!

I'll also be like the track is big! Where's the train? And I'll break down to my friends and be like, YOU GUYS THAT ROLLER COASTER IT'S AWESOME!

Alot like how CGuy sees them [:)]
1-Millennium Force | 2-Intimidator 305 | 3-Fury 325
4-Skyrush | 5-Iron Rattler | 6-X2 | 7-Kingda Ka
8-Voyage | 9-Maverick | 10-Monster

Post August 9th, 2007, 11:23 pm
hyyyper User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 9,207.00 Points
trying to figure out the way it works and does it coaster-ish things, analyse every aspect. Then i go drooling

Post August 9th, 2007, 11:29 pm

Points on hand: 1,171.00 Points

I always look at the way the track is shaped, which always fascinates me. Whether it's an Arrow with coat-hanger bends in it, or a fully heartlined Intamin (I could have stared at Stealth's top hat for hours) I can't help but think of what's going to happen when a train goes over that section of track. Haha wow, that's dorky[sillyme].

Post August 10th, 2007, 12:15 am

Points on hand: 7,125.00 Points

Originally posted by GerstlCrazy

If I see a roller coaster, it's a hard description how I think of them. First, if it's new, I'll see it and go frickin' crazy. I'll be thinking, well it exists, and wow it's huge and it's awesome!

I'll also be like the track is big! Where's the train? And I'll break down to my friends and be like, YOU GUYS THAT ROLLER COASTER IT'S AWESOME!

Alot like how CGuy sees them [:)]

yeah, i do that a lot too.

Post August 10th, 2007, 1:40 am

Points on hand: 4,906.00 Points

A number of things come to mind when I look at a coaster, but mostly I like to get into the station area and look at all the things on the track; if it's a launched coaster, I'll look at the launch too. Brakes also interest me, especially mag brakes. I think it's something to do with the way they work so flawlessly; a bunch of parts working together, timed perfectly, manipulating the behavior of the train (in some cases, the thrill it gives riders).

Other than the technical stuff, I really love looking at the shaping of the track. If a coaster does really complex maneuvers, the shape of the track at those points usually makes me like to just look at the track. Take Alpengeist for instance, I love looking at the 0g roll and the way it goes in and out of the wingover right after it.

This is one of my favorite pictures of that ride; not only is it really up close, but it gives a great view of the 0g.

Post August 10th, 2007, 2:41 am
hyyyper User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 9,207.00 Points
wow SMer, i'm feeling weightless only looking at that pic.....*continues drooling*

Post August 10th, 2007, 3:53 am

Points on hand: 196.00 Points

I could just stand there and stare at an element for hours. The shaping really fascinates me, especially 0G-rolls on inverts. They're just so awesomly shaped!

Post August 10th, 2007, 12:52 pm

Points on hand: 2,704.00 Points
When i get up close to Anaconda at kings dominion, the first thing i think is how monstrous it is. i a picture you can experience of standing next to the corkscrew thinking the track that thing rides on could fit like 4 people in between thost rails. or how the train of alpengiest coils throught the corkscrew. or the heartlined finish into the brakes as the train of italian job slowly but forcfuly pulls through the last turn.
Just the way the track moves or like the way the car moves over it.

Post August 10th, 2007, 1:33 pm

Points on hand: 5,993.00 Points

I look at the wood structure and just fall in love. Forget the bare-feeling of a steel coaster with it's supports perfectly placed every few meters. What gets me going is the sheer "apparent randomness" of wood supports which when viewed from a distance that are simply mind-boggling. The majesty of the wood, combined with track cross-overs that work through-out the stucture ... wow. IMO, I see a coaster as fine as someone "in the know" might take note of a Picasso.

To me, it is a majestic piece of work.

Sometimes the best thing to say is nothing at all.

Post August 16th, 2007, 11:09 am

Points on hand: 4,530.00 Points
i see it all as art. untill im in line, then im just looking for the thrill. it doesn't matter wooden or steel, i love them both.

Post August 16th, 2007, 1:29 pm

Points on hand: 3,283.00 Points

I see a ride as similar to theatre. When you go to the theatre and see a play, or a musical, you are totally dragged in to the world on stage, whether it be totally fictional or based on real life. These shows manage to play with your emotions incredibly. This is no different from a roller coaster. Good ones wih stories and themeing develop a story, which you yourself become involved in, the actual ride itself can make you excited, scared, or nervous. Just like theatre. To me a good ride is just another more interactive form of theatre, and entertainment. Its really impressve how lumps of metal when designed so perfectly have this ability to play with emotions, and to create stories.

Next

Return to Theme Park News & Construction!