Board index Roller Coaster Games Hard Hat Area "original elements"

"original elements"

The Hard Hat Area is the place to post construction news about your ride, so this is the place to hype your future upload!

Post September 8th, 2007, 10:20 am

Points on hand: 2,704.00 Points
I think "original elements" are ruining the rides people are uploading. Everyone thinks you have to have some sort of new element in order to have a good ride. Like sweet seduction, great ride! but does it really feel like your riding a realistic vekoma or arrow.
And apache, another great ride, but does it really feel like your riding a realistic B&M inverted.
Now lets see about a ride in real life. Griffon is a good example, does it have some sort of crazy element, no but it was still jaw droping. And same as maverick. The best NL track on the site is Black halo, Does it have any weird elements. No, and that may be the reason everyone likes it so much. It feels like a B&M coaster. Everything about it.

What do you think?
Last edited by Kyle Sloane on September 8th, 2007, 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post September 8th, 2007, 10:43 am

Points on hand: 1,435.00 Points

I think that if people start trying to replicate a certain style that doesn't have much originality, that people should use the "Accuracy" part of the rating instead.

You know, since people want to be as accurate to the company as possible.

Post September 8th, 2007, 12:03 pm

Points on hand: 2,837.21 Points
Bank: 6,969.69 Points
The trick is to be accurate to the designer's style, while including elements that are original yet still plausible in that style. It takes effort but it can be done :)

Post September 8th, 2007, 12:06 pm

Points on hand: 10,012.00 Points
^Durr, living proof, DCs.

I agree. If you can make the original element fit with the realistic lines of the design well go right ahead. It all has to do with how skilled you are at designing and placement. If you can do it right, do it.
1-Millennium Force | 2-Intimidator 305 | 3-Fury 325
4-Skyrush | 5-Iron Rattler | 6-X2 | 7-Kingda Ka
8-Voyage | 9-Maverick | 10-Monster

Post September 8th, 2007, 12:19 pm

Points on hand: 3,189.00 Points

Imagine every coaster on this site with no original elements. Borrriinngg....

Post September 8th, 2007, 12:55 pm

Points on hand: 196.00 Points

An original element can be really easy to achieve. Just modify the classic elements or fuze them together or something.

Post September 8th, 2007, 12:56 pm

Points on hand: 905.00 Points

The best NL track on the site is Black halo

You've got to be kidding. There are many, many problems with that ride. I wouldn't even put that in my top 100 for this site.

But as far as original elements go, yea, maybe not every single coaster has to have some spiffy new element to it, but originality does play a crucial role in rates and comments.

Post September 8th, 2007, 1:10 pm

Points on hand: 5,850.00 Points

Originally posted by Iron Man

The best NL track on the site is Black halo

You've got to be kidding. There are many, many problems with that ride. I wouldn't even put that in my top 100 for this site.

But as far as original elements go, yea, maybe not every single coaster has to have some spiffy new element to it, but originality does play a crucial role in rates and comments.

bwahahah that ride is the best ride.....its so good....you need to ride it and notice all the detail about it.....black halo is awesome. but yes there are other great rides out there.....black halo is not my favorite, but i would sure have it in my top 10 at least!
Dont buy starbucks coffee

its poison

Post September 8th, 2007, 1:11 pm

Points on hand: 196.00 Points

The coaster itself isn't that great, it's the 3ds the people admire

Post September 8th, 2007, 1:47 pm

Points on hand: 1,469.00 Points

Post September 8th, 2007, 1:51 pm

Points on hand: 905.00 Points

It seems that all of the people who love Black Halo and rides riddled with 3D's are those who came in after NL 1.3 when scenery started to get more popular. When I judge a ride made for No Limits, I look at the track. When I rode Black Halo, I turned off scenery, and the trackwork made me nautious. He said that he tried to emulate B&M's dive machines, well, in all honesty, he did a poor job. Sorry, but his other rides were better by far. Take a look at some of Dynamix's coasters (aka, SFMM Homie) or Coasterkidwmw's rides. DCs always does a good job of emulating real coasters with his own flair of originality. Real's Rebel was great, one of the most realistic B&M inverts here and it did have it's originality in it's own right as well.

Do this, before you open a ride in the sim or editor, go into the sim, turn off all of the scenery and judge the track. THEN go back and turn your scenery back on. Most of the time the scenery is going to make the coaster look better. Either by pure asthetics or by slowing down your computer enough to hide certain imperfections.

That concludes my mini-rant on scenery.
..man I miss the old days.

Post September 8th, 2007, 2:01 pm

Post September 8th, 2007, 3:11 pm

Points on hand: 3,307.00 Points

The only designer who I feel has proved he has the ability to make a coaster completely realistically in NL is Real. And I would still have to say there have been only a couple NL coasters I've ridden (if that) that even come close to complete realism.

And I still have yet to see ANYONE create a completely realistic CCI, GG, or GCI. It seems most people don't understand that turns should most of the time be completely circular in top view.

Post September 8th, 2007, 3:16 pm

Points on hand: 929.00 Points
Bank: 2,385.00 Points
Originally posted by IntaminFan397

The only designer who I feel has proved he has the ability to make a coaster completely realistically in NL is Real. And I would still have to say there have been only a couple NL coasters I've ridden (if that) that even come close to complete realism.

And I still have yet to see ANYONE create a completely realistic CCI, GG, or GCI. It seems most people don't understand that turns should most of the time be completely circular in top view.

Yeah, maybe Real is the best, but there are still very many that are right up there (Jake, Chris(both), etc.)

Post September 8th, 2007, 3:29 pm

^Just because jake can build smooth and cool doesent mean he's up there with perfect realism.

Post September 8th, 2007, 3:38 pm

Points on hand: 2,063.00 Points

I definitely think coasterkid is a great example of someone who has the knowledge and skill to build realistic coasters.

Post September 8th, 2007, 3:42 pm
hyyyper User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 9,207.00 Points
The ultimatie form of realism will allways be a recreation, the closer you get to that, the more realistic

Post September 8th, 2007, 4:25 pm

Intaminfan, I've got CCI down about as close as you can get in NL, just wait 'til I completely finish one, be it one of the recreations or my custom CCI design I've been working on. I agree with what you said 100%for what's out though. I've always respected McFly's CCI stuff though, it's not perfect but it definately represents some of the better attempts, and Jeremy Thompson's Zeus was very well done, especially for being handbuilt.

Post September 8th, 2007, 6:26 pm

Points on hand: 3,307.00 Points

Originally posted by dcs221

Intaminfan, I've got CCI down about as close as you can get in NL, just wait 'til I completely finish one, be it one of the recreations or my custom CCI design I've been working on. I agree with what you said 100%for what's out though. I've always respected McFly's CCI stuff though, it's not perfect but it definately represents some of the better attempts, and Jeremy Thompson's Zeus was very well done, especially for being handbuilt.

McFly's coasters are relatively well done and very enjoyable to ride, but are very far from CCI or GG. My favorite wooden coaster designer is Jeremy Thompson, who did an incredible job on Zeus and Cyclops recreating the CCI feel and shaping almost perfectly. If only he would make a custom design with the same kind of CCI trackwork.

Post September 9th, 2007, 1:58 am

Yeah McFly has a lot of CCI stuff that he's showed me that you may not have seen too, and his layouts especially were really well done. I thought Zeus by JT was very good too, but it didn't seem to me that his Cyclops received the same love Zeus did.

Post September 9th, 2007, 2:31 am

Points on hand: 3,780.00 Points
Originally posted by Symbiotic

I definitely think coasterkid is a great example of someone who has the knowledge and skill to build realistic coasters.

Agreed, the guy does know his crazy Japanese coasters.

Return to Hard Hat Area