Board index Theme Park Discussions General Theme Park Discussions Geauga Lake to Close down in 2008 season!!!

Geauga Lake to Close down in 2008 season!!!

Discuss anything related to theme parks in general.

Post September 21st, 2007, 6:13 pm
yoshifreak Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 241.00 Points
http://wwk.geaugalake.com/index.cfm

It's official, Geauga Lake is not going to be open for the 2008 season. Wild Water Kingdom will stay open, but the park will close.
It's not too surprising, considering the declining condition and lots of the rides being removed, but it is still hard to believe[:(].

http://wwk.geaugalake.com/index.cfm
Last edited by yoshifreak on September 21st, 2007, 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post September 21st, 2007, 6:20 pm

Points on hand: 1,469.00 Points
Wow, I wonder where Dominator will be relocated to.

Post September 21st, 2007, 6:43 pm

Points on hand: 1,736.00 Points
^All the rumours point to Dominator going to Kings Dominion. Man, I hope they turn out to be true.

Post September 21st, 2007, 6:44 pm

Points on hand: 7,125.00 Points

yeah, kings dominion would be sweet! hopefully it is true, i go there a lot.

Post September 21st, 2007, 6:45 pm

^Yeah, same here. The biggest floorless B&M ever would really round out their coaster lineup.

Post September 21st, 2007, 6:48 pm

Points on hand: 62.00 Points
that sux. they have really good rides as well, i dotn understand why there closing it down...
So, my friend came up to me the other day and asked if I wanted a frozen banana, and I said no, but I want a normal banana later, so... yea.

- RIP Mitch Hedberg

Post September 21st, 2007, 7:05 pm

Points on hand: 2,837.21 Points
Bank: 6,969.69 Points
That's not the biggest floorless B&M ever... the biggest would be Sheikra or Griffon, depending on what your definition of biggest is.

Post September 21st, 2007, 7:26 pm

Post September 21st, 2007, 7:32 pm

Points on hand: 1,151.00 Points

A great Miller coaster (among many other things) becomes a casualty of corporate greed before I get to ride it... wonderful. Guess I'll throw out my plans to visit in the next couple of years, then.

I'm shocked.

Post September 21st, 2007, 8:27 pm

Points on hand: 4,391.00 Points
They cant get rid of a ride that still uses Skid Breaks, that should be a federal offense!

Post September 21st, 2007, 8:39 pm

Points on hand: 3,780.00 Points
Really too bad for the park. You hate to see classic wooden coasters destroyed.

Post September 21st, 2007, 9:24 pm

Wait they're destroying it? I thought it'd just be closed for the season, renovations and stuff after removing all those rides, maybe to get that more classic/family feel they're going for. Who said it's getting the bulldozer?

I'm sooo glad I went in 2003 when everything I really wanted to ride was there and working well (with very short lines), plus I got in free with my Six Flags season pass!

Post September 21st, 2007, 9:39 pm
Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

Points on hand: 11,572.60 Points
Bank: 187,052.60 Points

can't wait to see Bid Dipper cannonballed [:)] I think that's what messed my back up. [lol]
Support Us! - Click Here To Donate $5 Monthly!
Paradox wrote:
No need to tell Oscar about the problems. He is magic.

Post September 21st, 2007, 10:16 pm

I didn't ride, looked boring to me lol. I was happier spending much of my time on Dominator and Villain.

Post September 21st, 2007, 10:19 pm

Points on hand: 10,012.00 Points
Can't they just keep every roller coaster operating until I'm done with it!?
1-Millennium Force | 2-Intimidator 305 | 3-Fury 325
4-Skyrush | 5-Iron Rattler | 6-X2 | 7-Kingda Ka
8-Voyage | 9-Maverick | 10-Monster

Post September 21st, 2007, 10:32 pm

Points on hand: 462.00 Points
What a disgrace... Period...

I am getting really tired of every greedy Corp. just abandoning all our history when the going gets tough...total disgrace.

My biggest problems with this whole situation are these...

Thousands upon thousands of Northeast Ohio Families have made some fantastic memories at Geauga Lake, and I feel it shows a complete and utter disrespect to the many those families, as well as park enthusiasts, to not make it clear that Cedar Fair's Intentions were to close the ride side of the park. Especially considering that many of these families have supported Cedar Point and then Cedar Fair, Making Dick Kinzal a very, very wealthy man.

Yeah you have at Geauga Lake, in operational condition, one of the last operating, John A Miller coasters. With the loss, at least at the moment with no prospects of her being saved, we have 8, i believe operating John A Miller Coasters left. No respect for history and no respect for the greats who came before you Dick, without those like John A Miller creating rides which made Coasters become part of our American Heritage, Cedar Point does not exist as it does today, and Dick, you would not be a rich man...

Post September 21st, 2007, 10:33 pm

Points on hand: 4,530.00 Points
sucks, but odviously forseen when they dumped there flyer and steel venom out. Doesn't really effect me, and heck KD is closer then Geauga Lake so fine with me.

Post September 21st, 2007, 10:49 pm

Yeah but I don't see those millions of people putting money up to keep the park running. Yeah they went and gutted the park, but the main objective of most businesses is to make money. You say they have no respect, they say they're losing money, who's right? I say either side has a good argument, but it's the company's decision in the end.

Post September 21st, 2007, 11:23 pm

Points on hand: 6,575.00 Points

I am not shocked at all...

I have a question...
What is Cedar Fair doing? Geauga Lake closed and Cedar Point has been for sale for a while.
Cedar Point
2008-2015
--2015--
Beach Band- June-August
https://www.facebook.com/TrumpetDMR

Post September 22nd, 2007, 1:10 am
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
If it ain't making money, get rid of it. They obviously couldn't fix the place. Now they're just moving what they can salvage. If they ship the boomerang and SLC off to Michigan's Adventure or something it would be a hell of a way to get more people into the park. Just open the boomerang one year, wait a year, and then the next year throw in the SLC.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post September 22nd, 2007, 2:46 pm

Points on hand: 462.00 Points
Thank you SFI for destroying Geauga Lake.

Way to go, I wasn't happy when SFI took it over, and I was not really sure why, now I know.

Post September 23rd, 2007, 7:50 am
Brtnboarder495 Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 5,362.00 Points
Cedar Point is for sale? Cedar Fair's flagship park?

Post September 24th, 2007, 7:33 am

Points on hand: 3,999.00 Points
Things come and things go. That's life.
Here's a little park history many of you may not be familiar with. There was once a great amusement park here near Cincinnati, Ohio on Kellogg Ave. Its called Coney Island. Taft Broadcasting decided to close the park after the 1971 season and open a new park near Kings Mills, Ohio. They removed most of the rides and relocated them at their new park. They called their new park, Kings Island. A lady near Kings Mills named the park, taking part of the name from each place. Well, everybody thought that "Old Coney" was dead and gone forever. But Old Coney had an ace up its sleeve. They decided to keep the pool open and people still kept coming to Coney to enjoy the pool, which by the way is the largest recirculating pool in the good old USA. Coney Island is open today and doing fine and they have added some rides to the Park over the years. I still go there to reminisce about the old Coney and its Shooting Star roller coaster designed by Herbert Schmeck of the Philadelphia Toboggan Co. And still today, there is not one wooden roller coaster with a track 18 inches thick and as smooth as the Shooting Star was. Not one. I still miss the Shooting Star and will never forget it. But Coney Island lives on and that is the most important thing. I can still stand where the Shooting Star raced up and down along the Ohio River. Perhaps Geauga Lake will become the next "Coney Island". Let's hope so.
Trackwalker

Post September 25th, 2007, 10:33 am

Points on hand: 3,059.00 Points
Originally posted by Coaster individual

They cant get rid of a ride that still uses Skid Breaks, that should be a federal offense!

Ditto!

CP isnt for sale...how did so many people misinterpret what that offer was? The wanted someone to HELP FUND! Not to take over, redo management and do what they want with it. They were only asking for an outside source to come in and throw funds at CP.

Post September 26th, 2007, 9:54 am

Points on hand: 4,273.00 Points

Whatever the reasons for the park's closing, I'm a little dissapointed...I happen to like Geauga Lake...I've only been in Wildwater Kingdom once and the water park here in pittsburgh is way better....
Live, Laugh, Love!
--David K. Jr.

Next

Return to General Theme Park Discussions