Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park News & Construction! Paramount Park in South Korea

Paramount Park in South Korea

Theme Park Construction And News Forum

Post May 20th, 2008, 5:59 pm

Points on hand: 3,189.00 Points

Click here to visit the article.

SEOUL, May 20 (Yonhap) -- South Korean auto retailer Daewoo Motor Sales Corp. and Paramount Pictures Corp. of the United States were to launch a joint venture on Tuesday as part of their plan to open a movie amusement park in western South Korea, an official at Daewoo Motor said.

Daewoo Motor and Paramount Pictures, a unit of U.S. media giant Viacom Inc., will spend a total of 1.5 trillion won (US$1.4 billion) to build the theme park in the western airport city of Incheon, a main gateway to South Korea, said Daewoo Motor spokesman An Seog-su.

Daewoo Motor Sales Corp. Chief Executive Lee Dong-ho and Michael E. Corcoran, president of consumer products and the recreation group at Paramount, were set to officially launch the joint venture called "Paramount Movie Park Korea," the spokesman said.

Financial details of the venture weren't immediately released.

Previously, the two sides said it would open the amusement park on reclaimed land in Incheon by 2009, making the Hollywood studio, known for movies such as "Titanic" and "Mission Impossible," the first foreign entertainment company to operate a resort in South Korea.

Construction for the theme park is already underway, the spokesman said.

Currently, South Korea has two large-scale amusement parks operated by Samsung and Lotte, the country's two family-run business conglomerates.

Daewoo Motor and Paramount are scheduled to complete construction of all facilities, which will include a 300-room hotel and shopping malls, before the city hosts the 2014 Asian Games.

"The Paramount theme park is a key priority not only for Daewoo Motor Sales but also for the city of Incheon," said Daewoo Motor's Lee in a previous statement.

"The park has the potential to become a true catalyst for regional development, and we at Daewoo Motor Sales are proud to be spearheading this landmark project together with Paramount," Lee said.

In November last year, another U.S. film producer, Universal Studios, controlled by General Electric Co., and South Korean builder POSCO Engineering & Construction Co. said they will build a US$3 billion theme park south of Seoul by 2012.

Looks like Paramount is starting a new park in Korea. Pretty interesting since they just sold all of their parks here.
Last edited by Canadmos on June 10th, 2008, 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post June 10th, 2008, 6:24 pm

Points on hand: 1,495.00 Points
I dont think they will make enough money to stay affloat!
Is now 15!

RIP Wildcatter, 1982-2007.

Post June 10th, 2008, 7:04 pm

Points on hand: 5,993.00 Points

Originally posted by Cade

I dont think they will make enough money to stay affloat!
^ is clueless about the South Korean economy.

Having been there before, I can attest that they (including the thousands of Americans stationed there) are starving for additional forms of entertainment. I think this is most certainly a great move, of course bought by the lowest bidder to maintain and cut opening costs. My guess? This park thrives.
Sometimes the best thing to say is nothing at all.

Post June 10th, 2008, 7:24 pm
Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

Points on hand: 11,527.60 Points
Bank: 187,052.60 Points

They are tired of underage sex so it's time to get other forms of entertainment.
Support Us! - Click Here To Donate $5 Monthly!
Paradox wrote:
No need to tell Oscar about the problems. He is magic.

Post June 10th, 2008, 7:32 pm

Post June 10th, 2008, 9:27 pm

Points on hand: 5,993.00 Points

Precisely Oscar.

Sometimes the best thing to say is nothing at all.

Post June 11th, 2008, 12:17 am

wow, that is a lot of money to spend to start a theme park...1.4 billion..wow
Is now 15!

RIP Wildcatter, 1982-2007.

Post June 11th, 2008, 2:25 am

Points on hand: 3,999.00 Points
I wonder if the new park will have an exact replica of "THE" Eiffel Tower in Paris France? Just wondering.
Trackwalker

Post June 11th, 2008, 12:51 pm
Gav User avatar

Points on hand: 2,076.00 Points

Return to Theme Park News & Construction!