Board index Theme Park Discussions General Theme Park Discussions CoasterCrazy Awards 2008 (CCA) Round 1

CoasterCrazy Awards 2008 (CCA) Round 1

Discuss anything related to theme parks in general.

Post December 20th, 2008, 11:08 pm

Points on hand: 7,125.00 Points

CoasterCrazy Awards(CCA)- 2008

In this thread, competitions will run periodically throughout the year, lasting a month or two, where you will decide the best of the best in the amusement park industry (Number One Roller Coaster, Best New Ride of 2008, etc.) through a single elimination bracket.

In each tourney, a bracket will be made up. Each round will last five days until we get down to the final coaster/ride/etc, which will be entered into the CCA Hall of Fame for that year. (Because this is the first year, and it started late; we will be voting for 2008 until about March.)

The Current Round is: Number One Roller Coaster

Bracket Can Be Found By Clicking Here

Voting begins now for the winner. Select your choices from the pairs below, and make sure to check out the bracket above as well. After a total of over 2,500 votes in preliminary rounds, a final winner will be decided Friday.

If you have any questions or comments regarding the awards, or would like to leave some input, please drop me a PM or leave a message here, it will be greatly appreciated.

Next Round to take place will be: Number One Wooden Roller Coaster- 2008
Last edited by Austin on January 24th, 2009, 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post December 20th, 2008, 11:08 pm

Voting Ends January 23, 11:59 PM, Eastern Time, and the next round will start the follwing day, Saturday, and will be "World's Best Wooden Roller Coaster."

Bracket Can Be Found By Clicking Here

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Previous Round's Voting Result's:

polls- twiigs.com

Post December 21st, 2008, 12:56 am

Points on hand: 10,012.00 Points
I can't imagine that you expect all voters to have been on every ride being compared right? I assume it might be okay to just go by either personal experience or impression on what the ride might be?

Post December 21st, 2008, 1:01 am

Points on hand: 1,916.00 Points

Whoever votes Ghostrider above BoulderDash...hurt yourself.

Post December 21st, 2008, 1:13 am

Points on hand: 108.00 Points

Post December 21st, 2008, 1:15 am

Originally posted by GerstlCrazy

I can't imagine that you expect all voters to have been on every ride being compared right? I assume it might be okay to just go by either personal experience or impression on what the ride might be?

Yes, exactly.

Oops about "ghostrunner", it should've been fixed a while ago but didn't seem to change.

V So, I messed up a bit, I'll make sure to check better next time.

Post December 21st, 2008, 1:45 am

Points on hand: 10,012.00 Points
Excuse the spelling police for a moment or two...

Blader?
Millenium?
Oylmpus?
Kneobels?
Waldemeer?

Post December 21st, 2008, 12:57 pm

Points on hand: 3,189.00 Points

Originally posted by Jakizle

Whoever votes Ghostrider above BoulderDash...hurt yourself.

QFT

Post December 21st, 2008, 2:39 pm

Points on hand: 1,443.00 Points

Post December 21st, 2008, 2:51 pm

Points on hand: 62.00 Points
^ because the voyage is the best woody... ever.

And to Defender110:

Really. Really? Ghostrunner? Its Ghostrider buddy. You have just earned one fail point.
So, my friend came up to me the other day and asked if I wanted a frozen banana, and I said no, but I want a normal banana later, so... yea.

- RIP Mitch Hedberg

Post December 21st, 2008, 2:53 pm

Points on hand: 121.00 Points
I think he was trying to be sarcastic as it says "Ghostrunner" in the poll.

Post December 21st, 2008, 3:47 pm

^ ^
Originally posted by Austin
Oops about "ghostrunner", it should've been fixed a while ago but didn't seem to change.

And now it won't let me since the poll is active.

Post December 21st, 2008, 4:46 pm
Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

Points on hand: 11,502.60 Points
Bank: 187,052.60 Points

tisk tisk tisk. Next time I am asking for a certificate where it says you completed six grade Austin. [lol] just kidding [:)] Lots of votes so far!
Support Us! - Click Here To Donate $5 Monthly!
Paradox wrote:
No need to tell Oscar about the problems. He is magic.

Post December 21st, 2008, 4:52 pm

Oscar, I'm always the one that corrects your letters to everyone, so don't tell me about not passing 6th grade ;) I know how you really write ;)

Post December 21st, 2008, 8:27 pm

Points on hand: 3,283.00 Points

Is there a reason so different rides in so different places are being compared straight away? It makes it very hard to choose! Montu v Troy? Nemesis vs Maverick? Apollos Chariot vs Colossus? They just seem like really random choices to put together which show no similarities and are some of the least likely to have people that will have ridden both. Im not complaining at all, im just wondering if theres a reason for the lack of able comparison between a few of the rides, when others like Sheikra and Griffon are so similar and comparable.

Post December 21st, 2008, 11:06 pm

It's hard to match up 32 different top roller coasters well without having seed numbers. With all the different roller coasters that had to be included, it was impossible to really make them good matches. I'll try to do better in the future, now that I and others are seeing mistakes arise. Thanks for the input.

Post December 22nd, 2008, 6:16 am

Points on hand: 1,117.00 Points

Only 2 of europe's coasters are winning there poule at the moment!!!

But I think the rides cuold be rounded up againt each other better. What is the similarity between Troy and Montu??

But the way of voting like this is cool.

Post December 22nd, 2008, 5:36 pm

Points on hand: 3,059.00 Points
There is none. And even though Ive been on Montu and loved it, I had to stay true to my faithfulness to woodies. So, Troy got my vote. Quite a few of those I voted the contrary.

Post December 22nd, 2008, 5:48 pm

Points on hand: 4,765.00 Points

Originally posted by asaaa

^ because the voyage is the best woody... ever.

And to Defender110:

Really. Really? Ghostrunner? Its Ghostrider buddy. You have just earned one fail point.

Best woodie that isn't named Boulder Dash, maybe.

Post December 22nd, 2008, 5:51 pm

If anything I would think Voyage is a larger, more intense crazier BD. Same concept, traversing through the woods at breakneck speed up the side of a hill, then back down hugging the ground majority of the way.

Post December 22nd, 2008, 5:59 pm

I've got about 50 laps on Dash this year, and around 8 on Voyage from last year, and I thought Boulder Dash was a lot more intense. The underbanked turns/aggressive nature of Dash gives it the edge IMO.

Post December 22nd, 2008, 6:02 pm

I don't think there is any way it is more intense...Boulder Dash fricken flies, even on its out run, unlike Voyage. The lats are ridiculous along with the ejector air on many of the hills (floater on the others).

Dash also is built ride into the trees...they are just feet within the coaster.

Not to mention it's a lot smoother, which does not take away from its aggressiveness at all. Voyage has a triple down, but Dash as a section with 4 hills within like 3 second of each other, all with crazy airtime. Its first turn after the drop is just nuts along with the turnaround. Also, it has little tiny turns throughout the layout that are taken VERY quickly and throw you around.

Post December 22nd, 2008, 6:22 pm

Of course those are the CCI trademark little jab turns. But I dont know what you mean that Voyage doesnt fly...Ive got like 30 or 40 total rides on Voyage and as far as carrying immense speed throughout an entire course, nothing does it like Voyage.

As for Lats, I have heard that Legends lats are...well legendary and that not even BD compares. I found Voyages to be as strong, but not held as long. Legends double helix of doom on a good day is crazy and almost hurts.

Plus, I had the fortune of riding Voyages Opening weekend as well as in August and smooth? As smooth as nearly any steel coaster I have been on. BD just got a retrack and before it - wasn't in such a good of shape.

But I can see what you guys mean, but also argue that theres plenty of underbanked spots on Voyage (the turn leading up to the hill over the lift is completely unbanked and has crazy lats). If you guys didn't wait to ride Voyage till later in the day, well its one of those rides thats severely affected by temperature change. A morning ride is great, but I've had better. At night it should have another name. I'm sure BD does as well, almost all woodies Ive been on do that but Voyage seems to be affected even more.

I just gotta get to LC before BD destroys itself again. Which it will. Those trains + that shaping will tear itself up without really good rehab.

Post December 22nd, 2008, 6:57 pm

Boulder Dash was fine for 6 years. In 2006 it was bad but not unrideable, just a little bit of jack hammering in two very specific spots (which have been fixed by GCI so they won't happen again). It didn't really destroy itself as you said. It also just got "really good rehab"....I don't know how much more they could do that wasn't done to it. GCI replaced all of the track except for the last drop, brakes, station, and lift, and completely replaced lots of bents.

I also think Dash paces better than Voyage because it doesn't have the huge hills to brake up the pace like Voyage does on the out run, and it doesn't really let up until the last drop (which is definitely the weakest spot). It feels a lot faster was well because most of the hills aren't long like on Voyage, and it takes them rather fast.

I rode Voyage through out the day. It's not like I rode it once in the morning and said that was enough. It just wasn't there like Boulder Dash has been for me. It was very smooth except for the ORP turn, so I don't think that's really an issue when comparing them.

As far as laterals, I do like Legend more than Voyage because of them. But while Legend has more of them, they aren't as intense as they are on Dash. Dash's turnaround pushes the limit of what is comfortable.

Then there's little stuff that most people don't care about that makes Dash better in my opinion. The setting, for one, feels much more 'in the woods' than Voyage, mostly because Voyage hasn't really grown back in yet so that isn't there fault, but just throwing it out there. Compounce is also very lenient with bar heights unlike Holiday World, so that's a plus to me as well (I like to actually get airtime, not just lift into a lapbar). May have caught HW on a bad day too, but the crews were pretty inefficient and didn't seem like they wanted to be there. I can understand Raven stacking two trains, but Legend should be able to make interval, and I don't see ANY excuse for Voyage stacking when it only has two trains running. It's like a 3 minute ride. Again this is just little stuff that most people don't care about but I think is worth mentioning.

My #1, 2, and 3 are Dash, Legend, and Voyage respectively.

Post December 22nd, 2008, 7:01 pm

^^Yeah, especially with how fast the ride is running now. When I was there this past August something did tear itself apart...but I can't get into that on a public board.

Anyways, I never said Voyage's speed isn't insane...but I think Dash has better pacing. It's an all out blitz from the first drop, while Voyage starts with large, slower hills. Plus Voyage mostly has floaty air, while Dash, like I mentioned, as tons of ejector and sustained air.

To each is own though, to each his own.

Next

Return to General Theme Park Discussions