Board index Theme Park Discussions General Theme Park Discussions Six Flags Magic Mountain 08-06-13

Six Flags Magic Mountain 08-06-13

Discuss anything related to theme parks in general.

Post August 9th, 2013, 2:26 am

Points on hand: 2,652.00 Points
Bank: 2,739.00 Points

Originally posted by CKidd

so its the worlrds longest yet lacks a mcbr, it seems like B&M is starting to stray from mcbrs completly. Most newer rides that have them are usually more towrds the end then middle

I was gonna post this in the thread the qoute originated, but, felt it went better with my review from my recent trip to SFMM.

I went to SFMM on Tuesday for the first time in almost 10 years, and, I am not sure if it was added precaution following the recent incident at SFOT, but, all the coasters were running at very low capacity. the queues were heavily monitored and loading docks were kept very empty. Not to mention the rides that were operating with multiple trains( no more than 2 trains per ride) were not dispatching until the previous train reached the first set of final breaks. Although the crowds were fairly light, it did make for some very long wait times, considering.

I was very surprised with Full Throttle, for its short length, it packs a hearty punch. I am definitely glad I saved it for last and rode it at night. The special effects were pretty sick and the overall experience was intense. By far the best ride in the park. My only complaint is that in true Six flags fashion, they repainted and re purposed the old maintenance shack from Log Jammer (R.I.P). Also not sure what they plan on doing about it, but, there is still a small section of track left from Metro, and the old Metro station by Colossus County Fair is still there, covered with foliage. Also, the old station from De Ja Vu is still in place. I have mixed feelings about their decision to leave these structures standing. On the one hand, it brings back memories of what SFMM looked like when I was a kid, on the other hand, it kinda shows lack of care towards overall appearance.

It was a very fun day. I finally got to ride Tatsu, Apocalypse, and X2, which I was very surprised to find out really is a much different ride from x. Although the special effects were not in use, not sure why, it is a much more comfortable and intense ride than x.

I also snapped a few pictures that I plan on posting soon of what may be a new color scheme for Riddler's Revenge.
"if you found your laughin' place, how come you ain't laughin'."https://www.facebook.com/calicoaster1/

Post August 9th, 2013, 10:45 am
Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

Points on hand: 11,502.60 Points
Bank: 187,052.60 Points

That's the SF operation procedure :\ Go on a packed day and they'll still run them at low capacity and the ops will be dorking around. Particularly on Tatsu. You might even catch some texting on their phones, which is a big no no. Then again this is Six Flags :
I hope they don't change Riddler's colors. It's be dumb of them to do change them. Oh wait, it's Six Flags, yeah, they'll very likely change xD
Support Us! - Click Here To Donate $5 Monthly!
Paradox wrote:
No need to tell Oscar about the problems. He is magic.

Post August 9th, 2013, 12:27 pm

Points on hand: 2,704.00 Points
Although they mentioned on another site that both stations of Tatsu are being used again. Either way, the operations at six flags parks have disgusted me this past year. Six flags great adventure in particular. Im beginning to take more pride in SFNE again, because on a very crowded day, the line for bizarro was only 45 mins, even though it was very long. And Batman has fresh new seats and restraints, and the line was out into the switchbacks and was still only 15 mins. They also made it so that the lift speeds up a lot half way up, and then you get sort of jolted by the predrop because it doesn't slow down, but man does it haul through the course now. Even Goliath has been very reliable and had a fast moving line.

Post August 9th, 2013, 2:06 pm

Points on hand: 9,697.00 Points
Yeah, it's definitely Six Flags telling their little crew to be slow and lazy and only run two of three trains. I've experienced it this year at SFGAm twice and SFGAdv. SFGAdv wasn't too bad overall but it was PREPOSTEROUS that they ran only TWO trains on Kingda Ka. Top Thrill Dragster CONSISTENTLY runs 5 trains on the same f*cking length of track! At SFGAm, they were only running one train on X-Flight! That's unHEARD of on an almost brand new coaster.

Post August 9th, 2013, 2:29 pm

Yeah, actually Tatsu was the worst not only did they only use one of the 2 station platforms, but, the queue benis stopped the queue for 30 minutes to let only flash pass holders in. I could understand doing that on a very busy day, but, crowds were not even heavy enough to warrant needing a flash pass.
"if you found your laughin' place, how come you ain't laughin'."https://www.facebook.com/calicoaster1/

Post August 9th, 2013, 2:29 pm
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
Originally posted by Oscar

they'll very likely change xD

Mad that your B:TR is "fabulous blue" now?
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post August 10th, 2013, 6:12 am

Points on hand: 94.00 Points
Originally posted by Coasterkidmwm
Mad that your B:TR is "fabulous blue" now?

Related: [youtube]PHT6Qr1lT2U[/youtube]

Sucks to hear of your bad trip, but, sadly seems SFMM hasn't changed much since the last time I was there.

Everyone knows about Tatsu ops, it's pretty well noted that, at least in the case of SFMM management, doesn't care about Tatsu op shenanigans. Knowing several former ops from that ride, there seems to be a cool kids club mentality up there, and they feel they can't be touched.

Slow operations doesn't seem to be related to NTG, just related to Six Flags in general. It's not rare to see trains stacking on the brake run while another train sits in the station while the ops dork off.

Originally posted by spacemountainfan619
Also, the old station from De Ja Vu is still in place.

Do you have a photo of this by any chance? It seems odd that they left the station there and bought a new station from Vekoma for Goliath at SFNE. (Yes, the stations are 100% manufactured by Vekoma, look at every single GIB, each one has the exact same station.)

Post August 11th, 2013, 1:15 am

no, I was not able to get a shot of the station, but, next time you are at SFMM take a ride on Apocalypse and you can see it from the lift. It looks like something out of the show Life After People.

Post August 11th, 2013, 2:23 am

Points on hand: 94.00 Points
Not sure when that'll be, hah... I'm up in Idaho, y'know, where dem french fried potaters come from. Coaster sites are my only real link back to CA parks, sadly.

Return to General Theme Park Discussions