Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park News & Construction! Xcelerator Attacks Two at Knott's Berry Farm

Xcelerator Attacks Two at Knott's Berry Farm

Theme Park Construction And News Forum

Post September 18th, 2009, 4:23 pm

Points on hand: 827.00 Points
This looks like a horrible freak accident. The video is quite scary to watch. This occured on Xcelerator on Friday September 18, 2009. The cable snapped and shrapanel flew all over the place lacerating a kids leg and hurting others. View the video by clicking the following link:

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local-beat/Knotts-Berry-Farm-Rollercoaster-Accident-Injures-Guests-59751017.html
Last edited by haydawg149 on September 18th, 2009, 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post September 18th, 2009, 4:58 pm
Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

Points on hand: 11,502.60 Points
Bank: 187,052.60 Points

That is a freak accident. At least they weren't too badly hurt.
Support Us! - Click Here To Donate $5 Monthly!
Paradox wrote:
No need to tell Oscar about the problems. He is magic.

Post September 18th, 2009, 5:07 pm

Points on hand: 50.00 Points
damn, that kid gets whipped, then on the rollback, his seat gets hit and comes out of place.
[19:47:28] rcking04: /smoke bong through wrong end

Post September 18th, 2009, 5:31 pm
Turbo User avatar

Points on hand: 5,506.00 Points
Bank: 21,857.68 Points

it was bound to happen since that was the prototype
Coaster Count: 582 // Top Five: 1. Helix 2. Nemesis 3. Big Bad Wolf 4. Boulder Dash 5. Balder

Coasterkidmwm wrote:
4 G's to the taint was a bit much for me because I'm not a power bottom like Turbo

Post September 18th, 2009, 5:42 pm

Points on hand: 2,837.21 Points
Bank: 6,969.69 Points
It's happened on TTD, and worse has happened with KK's launch. I don't think it being a prototype had much to do with the incident.

Post September 18th, 2009, 6:12 pm

Points on hand: 50.00 Points
It's similar to that superman drop tower, the cable snapping, and whipping someone, and a similar thing happend to Hurakon Condor, but it got e-stopped before further damage.
[19:47:28] rcking04: /smoke bong through wrong end

Post September 18th, 2009, 7:03 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 2,723.00 Points
Bank: 25,088.00 Points

Considering the possible problems this can very easily cause and the frequency of it's occurance, I am very surprised that Intamin hasn't taken great steps to change it's cable design on the Accelerator coasters. There are many things you can do with steel cables to stop the "debris" effect in the event of a cable snapping, various different elastic coatings and such, we've used such things at work.

When you really think about it, considering the stresses the launch cables are under, even on KK and TTD, it's not a lot in comparison with some of the applications this type of cable comes under in other fields of engineering, so the number of times this has happened is actually slightly alarming.

Still, awesome to have actually got the incident on tape.

I'm gonna be riding Rita tomorrow, so wish me luck.

Post September 18th, 2009, 7:42 pm

Points on hand: 2,333.00 Points
Wow thats frightening. Good thing they weren't injured too badly. Thats some of the most interesting footage I've seen lately. Its very unsettling seeing their panic.

Post September 18th, 2009, 9:09 pm

Points on hand: 3,002.00 Points

Originally posted by gouldy

Considering the possible problems this can very easily cause and the frequency of it's occurance, I am very surprised that Intamin hasn't taken great steps to change it's cable design on the Accelerator coasters. There are many things you can do with steel cables to stop the "debris" effect in the event of a cable snapping, various different elastic coatings and such, we've used such things at work.

When you really think about it, considering the stresses the launch cables are under, even on KK and TTD, it's not a lot in comparison with some of the applications this type of cable comes under in other fields of engineering, so the number of times this has happened is actually slightly alarming.

Still, awesome to have actually got the incident on tape.

I'm gonna be riding Rita tomorrow, so wish me luck.

I completely agree, so few times and its amazing.

Post September 18th, 2009, 10:58 pm

Points on hand: 3,043.00 Points

You know a way to get a sample of it too, don't you?

Post September 18th, 2009, 11:10 pm

Points on hand: 3,043.00 Points

Post September 18th, 2009, 11:22 pm

Points on hand: 6,575.00 Points

Originally posted by Stealthrider5583

I think it is funny because they are confused and when they stop, they start panicking. And then the guy shouts... It's like OMG!!! we stopped, there is no chance we could launch again. so lets PANIC!!! HELP ME!!!

Did you continue to watch the video? The child's seat broke loose and the lap bar was crushing him, along with debris. They were trying to get a ride host?????????s attention. Yeah, I'm sure they knew, but if you were involved in this would you freak out... I don't understand how you think this is funny.
Cedar Point
2008-2015
--2015--
Beach Band- June-August
https://www.facebook.com/TrumpetDMR

Post September 19th, 2009, 1:49 am
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points

Considering the possible problems this can very easily cause and the frequency of it's occurance, I am very surprised that Intamin hasn't taken great steps to change it's cable design on the Accelerator coasters.

Not to be a total asshole here but I'm kinda drunk so here goes. I worked in an auto parts factory. They made Toyota and GM parts. The GM parts were held to a higher/stricter quality standard, and yet they GM cars blew total ass.

Lesson learned. Either the engineering or the manufacturing process is crap. In GM's case is the engineering, I think in Intamin's case it may be the manufacturing.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post September 19th, 2009, 1:53 am

Points on hand: 1,151.00 Points

^Still, it seems like they'd take more precautions when it comes to the launch cable. Something doesn't add up.

Post September 19th, 2009, 5:29 am

Points on hand: 155.00 Points
Originally posted by Coasterkidmwm

Considering the possible problems this can very easily cause and the frequency of it's occurance, I am very surprised that Intamin hasn't taken great steps to change it's cable design on the Accelerator coasters.

Not to be a total asshole here but I'm kinda drunk so here goes. I worked in an auto parts factory. They made Toyota and GM parts. The GM parts were held to a higher/stricter quality standard, and yet they GM cars blew total ass.

Lesson learned. Either the engineering or the manufacturing process is crap. In GM's case is the engineering, I think in Intamin's case it may be the manufacturing.

I thought partly to blame was the workorce atitudes in those cases. Sometimes both companies had the same designs with the same tolerances but the japanese components were always built to a higher standard because the workers cared more.

Post September 19th, 2009, 9:27 pm

Points on hand: 908.00 Points
that honestly would be so scary.. imagine being on a coaster and then something snaps or breaks.. i'd freak out!

Post September 19th, 2009, 9:51 pm
rcmaniac25 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 7,265.00 Points

Thats not good. Hopefully the people injured heal good.

Post September 20th, 2009, 12:21 am

Points on hand: 5,889.00 Points
Moral of the story: USE MAGNETS!!!

Something like this could not happen on an LIM/LSM coaster.
American Eagle Lover

Post September 20th, 2009, 11:23 pm

Points on hand: 6,575.00 Points

The only problem I see with LIM/LSM is they are very expensive! At CP Wicked Twister is the most expensive running coaster (electric wise).
Cedar Point
2008-2015
--2015--
Beach Band- June-August
https://www.facebook.com/TrumpetDMR

Post September 21st, 2009, 12:57 am
Turbo User avatar

Points on hand: 5,506.00 Points
Bank: 21,857.68 Points

^But isn't it the case that it is less of a hassle for maintenence?
Coaster Count: 582 // Top Five: 1. Helix 2. Nemesis 3. Big Bad Wolf 4. Boulder Dash 5. Balder

Coasterkidmwm wrote:
4 G's to the taint was a bit much for me because I'm not a power bottom like Turbo

Post October 2nd, 2009, 7:26 pm
yoshifreak Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 241.00 Points

Return to Theme Park News & Construction!