Board index Theme Park Discussions General Theme Park Discussions The Fine Line.... A Bad Day for Six Flags

The Fine Line.... A Bad Day for Six Flags

Discuss anything related to theme parks in general.

Post December 12th, 2009, 6:44 pm
Mikey User avatar
Site Admin
Site Admin

Points on hand: 6,049.50 Points

You have heard me talk about the many transgressions of the Six Flags organization as a whole. You have heard my pleas with the corporation to change their ways and to perform in the best interest of their guest and their employees.

I have often raised the question of how long must we wait for change. How long will Six Flags continue to trample upon the rights of its work force, many of whom are teenagers that lack sufficient knowledge to defend themselves against these manipulative and ethically abusive acts.

As some of you may know, the coming weeks are a very critical time for Six Flags. The internal struggle between the investors, the creditors and the current management team has placed them in a very fragile situation. A situation which we must take advantage of.

Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing. However the time to act is now. Now is the time to reach in and tear their heart out.

This year I have been able to achieve what no other person before me has. Collect enough evidence as to begin civil and criminal litigation against the largest theme park chain in the nation. Not only for their unlawful treatment of employees, but for endangering the lives of countless guests.

I am no longer alone in this fight. Standing behind me are no fewer then 400 current and former employees representing all the major departments, parks, and age groups. For far too long a war has been waged against management. This war can no longer be fought on a park by park basis. The casualty rate of this war has been high and shows now sign of slowing.

In the coming weeks we will push for change. We will push not only for new management, but proper employee representation through the use of collective bargaining. Already the wheels have been set in motion. We are preparing to petition the national labor relations board seeking the certification and creation of a union. A union which would represent over 30,000 seasonal employees.

Six Flags was built on the blood, sweat, and tears of its labor force. A force which at one time set the golden standard for theme parks world wide. Ultimately we have two choices. We can sit back and watch the parks tear themselves apart, or the labor force can do something about it.

In the end we do what we must because we can. If not for ourselves but for the greater good of all.

Post December 12th, 2009, 7:32 pm

Points on hand: 5,801.00 Points

I honestly can't see anything that is unsafe in you blurry pictures.

And if you are sueing them, should you not keep the information private between the two sides?

Post December 12th, 2009, 7:36 pm

Points on hand: 3,043.00 Points

So, the pics are a misplaced wheel, freeze vallying, missing bolts, and something on Texas Giant?

Post December 12th, 2009, 7:39 pm
Mikey User avatar
Site Admin
Site Admin

I am under no obligation to keep this information private.

Post December 12th, 2009, 7:40 pm

Right. But I bet every single lawyer that has any success would suggest that you do.

Post December 12th, 2009, 7:41 pm

Points on hand: 2,556.00 Points

I'm sure 30,000 underpaid employees would be thrilled by the idea of giving up more money out of their paycheck to a union that isn't going to do anything more than get them laid off when the company goes under.

Post December 12th, 2009, 7:44 pm

Points on hand: 1,492.00 Points
Uhh, don't most parks have these issues??

OR at least face them once in a while??
Sometimes you gotta sacrifice a little bit of yourself to get the job done.

Post December 12th, 2009, 7:47 pm
Mikey User avatar
Site Admin
Site Admin

The company is in no danger of going under. I think an hour out of their paychecks is a small price to pay for proper benefits, representation and rights. You have to remember that Disney suffered the same mismanagement at one time, their unionization effort succeeded and failed at the same time. In the end it has worked out, the labor force continues to set the standards for theme parks worldwide. I think we can learn from these mistakes, and come out ahead.

Post December 12th, 2009, 7:51 pm

For a student that only works twenty hours a week or less, taking away some of that hard earned cash to fund a union won't be taken well.

Post December 12th, 2009, 7:53 pm

Post December 12th, 2009, 7:55 pm
Mikey User avatar
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well most Six Flags employees right now are only working weekends for 4-5 hours each day, and then they are forced to take a 45 minute break out weather or not they actually get that break.

Of course they arent, But that doesn't give them the right to abuse the labor force. Correct me if I'm wrong Houston, But aren't you friends with some of the management at SFOT?

Post December 12th, 2009, 7:55 pm

And that was a different time. I don't think Six Flags has the money to all the suddenly fix all these mistakes.

Post December 12th, 2009, 8:00 pm
Mikey User avatar
Site Admin
Site Admin

The budget for the Texas Giant remodeling would cover 1,121,311 man hours at $9 an hour. That's a 20% pay increase for each employee.

The issue is managerial priority's and prerogative.

Post December 12th, 2009, 8:00 pm

So what you're saying then, is that they should have to take 1-2 hours out of their paycheck for the union instead of the 45 minutes for their break? That makes sense.

And no, I don't know any of the management at SFOT.

Post December 12th, 2009, 8:01 pm

I do not recall this being claimed to happen suddenly. Of course it may take some time to get it all done.

Post December 12th, 2009, 8:02 pm
Mikey User avatar
Site Admin
Site Admin

I am saying that they should be payed for every second they work. Not clocking back, charging for breaks not being received, and sending people home with out severance pay.

Post December 12th, 2009, 8:03 pm

Oh. They get paid that little?? Didn't know that.

This kinda coming as hard to believe to me, because a lot of the workers I talk to when I go to SFMM, say it's a fine job, the only bad part is the distance, they have to travel.

But I believe you, seeing as you know your stuff, obviously.

Post December 12th, 2009, 8:09 pm

So how much longer do I have to go to Six Flags before your proposed union runs them out of business?

Post December 12th, 2009, 8:20 pm
Mikey User avatar
Site Admin
Site Admin

It won't run them out of business. You have to understand that each park is in itself is a legal entity with its own large operating fund. Each park would have to elect union representation by employee vote. Already some of the technical departments have union representation. This year the international brotherhood of electrical workers threatened a nationwide strike over the same problems I am talking about. The only reason they didn't was because of a last minute compromise with a short term and long term agreement. The mechanics are in the same boat and they could go on strike at any time.

Post December 12th, 2009, 11:31 pm

Points on hand: 850.00 Points
They will just pose and act like the reasons youve stated are invalid/irrelevant. SF is in it to win it. So if their abusive system is making the top execs as much money as possible, then nothings gonna change. Unless you can convince Cedar Fair to launch parks like T-Mobile has been launching 3G towers.

Post December 12th, 2009, 11:48 pm

Post December 13th, 2009, 12:13 am
Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

Points on hand: 11,502.60 Points
Bank: 187,052.60 Points

I want some Moose Burger from SFMM right about now.
Support Us! - Click Here To Donate $5 Monthly!
Paradox wrote:
No need to tell Oscar about the problems. He is magic.

Post December 13th, 2009, 12:15 am

I'd rather have Moose Burger than Johnny Rockets, which I'm so sick of I could puke.

Post December 13th, 2009, 12:35 am
Mikey User avatar
Site Admin
Site Admin

I would expect nothing less from the fearless Six Flags leaders. I am well prepared and well rehearsed in the many tactics that they will use to disrupt or postpone our actions. It's not the first time Six Flags has had conflicts with a proposed union. I think we have the right bargaining tools, If not we can just turn them over to law enforcement and let it sort itself out naturally.

Post December 13th, 2009, 12:46 am
jayman Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 3,110.00 Points

Originally posted by Oscar

I want some Moose Burger from SFMM right about now.
damn oscar its been almost 3 years !

Next

Return to General Theme Park Discussions