Board index Roller Coaster Games No Limits Coaster The Big List of Known NL .env/.cfg Commands

The Big List of Known NL .env/.cfg Commands

Discuss anything involving No Limits Coaster Simulation.

Post September 4th, 2010, 2:36 pm

Points on hand: 72.00 Points
Bank: 12,611.00 Points
@Mods/Admins: Please Sticky! Thanks.

Alright, first of all, the basics. As everyone knows, you can create custom environments for any track, and some are also aware of being able to create a nolimits.cfg file (placed in NL's install directory) which is capable of setting the default (sunny day) environment settings, and also sets the defaults for settings that environments don't mess with. (i.e. if you specify fog in nolimits.cfg and the environment doesn't have any fog, the default will be the fog set in the .cfg file.

These files are easy to create. Simply save them in your text editor of choice (notepad or wordpad; make sure its plaintext) and rename the extension to .env or .cfg.

Now down to business. Working with NL environment/configuration commands is quite simple especially if you have worked with other games' consoles or configurations, worked with Windows' command prompt, etc. In NoLimits, you simply enter a command, then specify an argument which is either a number, boolean (true/false) or file path (in file paths, the NL folder defaults as the root directory; specify paths from there, NOT from C:\! For example, path=environments\myEnv\rooster.jpg) Comments can be inserted into a file by starting a line with "#".

Some of you may have noticed that nolimitscoaster.de's How-To page (http://nolimitscoaster.de/index.php?page=howto) got updated with this information. For the most part, everything in there covers most of what you need to know but Ole forgot to (or intentionally omitted) the lines that control the loading screen's text.

I will paste everything here because copying and pasting each line into your .env/.cfg file when you need several at a time is tedious, so just copy and paste from here. Note that all outdated commands have been omitted from this list.

sim.antiroll.texture.path = environments\[project folder]\[texture.jpg/png/tga]
sim.background.texture.path =
sim.background.texture.enabled = (true/false)
sim.background.trees.enabled =
sim.chain.texture.path =
sim.chain.loopsound.path = (.wav file, frequency should be 44100hz, not sure if others work; 16-bit; mono/stereo should both work, but unsure if both channels on stereo are actually plated)
sim.chain.loopsound.db = (volume of sound; number from 0 to 10000)
sim.chainwheel.texture.path =
sim.clouds.visible =
sim.clouds.texture.path = (when specified alone, only first layer visible)
sim.clouds.wind.speedx = (wind speed in X direction, not sure on range)
sim.clouds.wind.speedy =
sim.clouds.layer2.texture.path =
sim.clouds.layer2.wind.speedx =
sim.clouds.layer2.wind.speedy =
sim.flares.visible =
sim.flare1.texture.path =
sim.flare2.texture.path =
sim.flare3.texture.path =
sim.flare4.texture.path =
sim.flare5.texture.path =
sim.flare6.texture.path =
sim.fog.enabled =
sim.fog.red = (number from 0 to 1; i.e. all red/green/blue at 0 is black and all red/green/blue at 1 is white; accurate up to 0.000000)
sim.fog.green =
sim.fog.blue =
sim.fog.density = (0 to 1, accurate up to 0.0000)
sim.ground.visible =
sim.ground.texture.path =
sim.lighting.globalmodulate.red =
sim.lighting.globalmodulate.green =
sim.lighting.globalmodulate.blue =
sim.newplatform.texture.path =
sim.minetrain.crosstie.texture.path =
sim.operatorspanel.texture.path =
sim.ptcbrake.texture.path =
sim.railingfloor.texture.path =
sim.railing.texture.path =
sim.skyboxup.texture.path =
sim.skyboxleft.texture.path =
sim.skyboxright.texture.path =
sim.skyboxfront.texture.path =
sim.skyboxback.texture.path =
sim.skyboxdown.texture.path =
sim.sky.gradient.top.red =
sim.sky.gradient.top.green =
sim.sky.gradient.top.blue =
sim.sky.gradient.horz.red =
sim.sky.gradient.horz.green =
sim.sky.gradient.horz.blue =
(all skybox commands must be placed and point to no textures in order to override the default skybox and use the old fashioned gradient system)
sim.shadows.visible =
sim.stationrafters.enable =
sim.stationrafters.texture.path =
sim.stationfloor.texture.path =
sim.stationrailing.texture.path =
sim.stationside.texture.path =
sim.stationtrack.texture.path =
sim.stationtop.texture.path =
sim.stationtopside.texture.path =
sim.stationwaitgate.texture.path =
sim.stationwaitrailing.texture.path =
sim.sun.texture.path =
sim.sun.visible =
sim.sun.pos.alpha =
sim.sun.pos.beta =
sim.sun.diffuse.red =
sim.sun.diffuse.green =
sim.sun.diffuse.blue =
sim.sun.specular.red =
sim.sun.specular.green =
sim.sun.specular.blue =
sim.sun.ambient.red =
sim.sun.ambient.green =
sim.sun.ambient.blue =
sim.supports.roundfooter.texture.path =
sim.supports.tube1.radius =
sim.supports.tube2.radius =
sim.supports.tube3.radius =
sim.supports.tube4.radius =
sim.supports.tube5.radius =
sim.tree1.texture.path =
sim.tree1.sizex =
sim.tree1.sizey =
sim.tree1.sizez = (not sure what Z does)
(you can go up to sim.tree10... and the numbers correspond to the list that appears in the editor; for example, tree 1 is the pine tree and treee 2 the maple tree)
sim.vertwheel.texture.path =
sim.woody.beams.texture.path =
sim.woody.catwalk.texture.path =
sim.woody.rail.texture.path =
sim.woody.tie.texture.path =
sim.woody.tunnel.side1.texture.path =
sim.woody.tunnel.side1inside.texture.path =
sim.woody.tunnel.entry1.texture.path =
sim.woody.tunnel.entry1inside.texture.path =

G-force color changers (usually used in .cfg's but also works in .env's)
sim.vertg.posyellowlimit = (specify which G-force triggers the change to yellow; usually 4.8)
sim.vertg.posredlimit =
sim.vertg.negyellowlimit =
sim.vertg.negredlimit =
sim.latg.yellowlimit =
sim.latg.redlimit =
sim.accg.posyellowlimit =
sim.accg.posredlimit =
sim.accg.negyellowlimit =
sim.accg.negredlimit =

And lastly, everything you need to butcher the loading screen.
sim.gui.loading.trackfile =
sim.gui.loading.setenv =
sim.gui.loading.createlights =
sim.gui.loading.createscene =
sim.gui.loading.createtrack =
sim.gui.loading.createenv =
sim.gui.loading.createsupp =
sim.gui.loading.createscenery =
sim.gui.loading.sceneobjs =
sim.gui.loading.vehicles =
sim.gui.loading.calcshadows =
sim.gui.loading.startsim =

Have fun with your newfound NL manipulation powers.
Last edited by coasteragent99 on November 3rd, 2010, 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post September 4th, 2010, 2:44 pm

Points on hand: 483.00 Points
Bank: 19,590.00 Points
I really want to change the steel coaster chain sound to a Senyo Kogyo lift clank sound. I need someone who could record the lift sound from the video, loop it seamlessly and replace No Limit's lift sound WAV file. Here is the video with the wanted sound. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srK2YdaVNH4

Post September 4th, 2010, 2:47 pm

If you're using Firefox, get the Greasemonkey add on and install a Youtube download script, or use Any Video Converter (Google it) to download. Then download Audacity and edit/create the loop from the file.

The creator of Nephila, a recent GCI SM track on the homepage, did just that. I'm rather surprised that the quality turned out not so badly and it loops very well.

Post September 4th, 2010, 2:52 pm

Points on hand: 232.00 Points
Damnit, why did everyone get all obsessed and start talking about this literally 2 days after i dug it up myself?
Originally posted by GerstlCrazy:
The more time I spend on this website adds more to the impression that this has become a daycare.

Post September 4th, 2010, 2:56 pm

I also want to change the default brake sound WAV file to the thunk thunk of the Meisho, Mewia, Senyo Kogyo and Togo clamp brakes.http://www.rcdb.com/2678.htm?p=15958 I would also have to record the thunk clamp brake sounds from this video. http://www.youtube.com/user/airtime708k ... mQVliI62p8

Post September 4th, 2010, 2:58 pm

Points on hand: 4,765.00 Points

Wow you can change sounds? Didn't know that......time for some experimenting :)

Edit: No luck with wood coasters, does appear to work on steel.

Post September 4th, 2010, 3:01 pm

There should be a custom No Limits brake, station and lift "sound bank" for everyone to download the new sounds to their programs and replace their current sounds.

Post September 4th, 2010, 3:02 pm

Actually, 3 days ago was when I heard someone mentioning it, but I didn't bother looking through them until just now.

Edit: Only the lift sound can be changed, according to Ole anyways.

Post September 4th, 2010, 3:22 pm

Points on hand: 1,601.00 Points
hmm...this seems like it could end up very fun... [:)] I need an environment for my latest coaster, so this should come in handy. It seems pretty straightforward for the most part, but a lot of the things seem like they'd be useful, I just don't know what exactly to put there, for example the sun.pos parameters...what do the alpha and beta things do? It seems to me that you'd need 3 position parameters...

Post September 4th, 2010, 4:08 pm

I want to change the crossties on the Mine Train track to a solid metal texture that you can change the color on.

Post September 4th, 2010, 7:52 pm

I don't think you can change the color of the mine train crosstie. Try using an RGBA png texture, preferably one that's greyscale monochromatic. The more transparent pixels should show up to the set color more aggressively than the pixels which are more opaque. But if that doesn't work, then too bad.

@boneplaya: The alpha parameter specifies the horizontal angle of the sun and beta specifies vertical angle. I'd strongly suggest using the CK's environment editor or Environmental for positioning the sun to a skybox as doing so by numbers and loading the sim can be very tedious unless you know what you're doing. (Or know the sun's position from the program used to render the skybox.) Correct sun positioning is crucial to building skyboxes. Keep in mind that it's not just the position of the sun itself, but also of the world's light source. You can set the sun to not be visible but there alyways has to be a light source and it comes from the position where the sun is specified.

Also, can anyone sticky this topic please?

Post September 4th, 2010, 7:58 pm

If you can change the lift sound can you put a song that plays for the lift sound?

Post September 4th, 2010, 8:39 pm

Points on hand: 1,601.00 Points
^ahhh....thanks for the info! These next few months should be fun as I work with that lol...

Post January 21st, 2011, 6:42 pm

I really want to change the Vekoma minetrain cross ties to a steel texture for my jet coasters. Has anyone done that yet?

Post February 1st, 2011, 11:13 pm

Points on hand: 96.00 Points
how do you change the sound? like what folders do you go into???
"An artist can paint a picture on a canvas, but a musician can paint a picture on silence."

Post March 14th, 2011, 4:07 pm

Textures are not supported for non-wooden objects. For lift sounds, simply place the .wav file in the same place where your environment files usually go i.e. in the folder bearing the name of your environment under the environments folder.

Return to No Limits Coaster