Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park News & Construction! Eurofighter for Canobie Lake Park

Eurofighter for Canobie Lake Park

Theme Park Construction And News Forum

Post September 30th, 2010, 12:17 pm

Points on hand: 4,765.00 Points

Canobie Lake is currently in the planning stages of adding it's third full-sized roller coaster, a Gerstlauer Eurofighter 320+, the same as Rage at Adventure Island and Falcon at Duinrell, with theming similar to the latter.

SALEM ????????? The Planning Board will consider the addition of a new roller coaster at Canobie Lake Park tonight, in what is the amusement park's first major request of the town in three years.

The new roller coaster, which is called the Gerstlauer 320 Compact Euro-Fighter ride, would stand 75 feet tall at the peak with a footprint of about 150-by-200 feet on a grassy section near the park's Yankee Cannonball roller coaster, according Salem Planning Director Ross Moldoff.

Plans show the compact coaster to be about a third of the size of the nearby Yankee Cannonball, he said, with a dark green track held up by columns made to look like birch trees.

During tonight's meeting, Moldoff said he will show the board a video of the proposed coaster.

To find a similar coaster to study, park consultants had to travel to Duinrell park in Wassenaar, Holland, according to a report from Harris Miller Miller & Hanson Inc., a Burlington, Mass.-based noise and vibrations consultant.

In August, consultants measured the sound produced by the coaster during off hours, recording an average noise of 45 to 46 decibels from 220 feet away, according to the report. At Canobie Lake Park, the nearest property line sits 220 feet to the east of the proposed coaster site.

Town regulations say the coaster is not to exceed 55 decibels between 7 a.m. and 10 p.m. at nearby residences.

According to the Harris Miller Miller & Hanson report, the Euro-Fighter coaster is about a quarter as loud as the typical steel or wooden coaster because the steel rails are filled with sand to dampen the sound and vibrations as the wheels move along the track.

The coaster is intended to replace the similarly compact Galaxy Coaster that was removed several years ago, according to plans.

Vanasse and Associates, a transportation engineering firm from Andover, Mass., has also been hired to complete a traffic study,

An initial memo between Vanasse and town staff indicates the new coaster is not expected to increase traffic to the already congested area.

In 2007, Moldoff said Canobie Lake Park staff last came to the town with a site plan change request to expand a "fairground style" parking area. After several meetings, that request was granted, he said.

The Planning Board will review the proposal at its regular meeting tonight at 7 p.m. in the Knightly Meeting Room at Salem Town Hall.

More info here and here.

Not the GCI that I was hoping for, but definitely looking forward to it.

Post September 30th, 2010, 12:32 pm

Points on hand: 1,117.00 Points

not a great ride, apart from the drop and the hangtime loop, which are actually really cool, it's headbanging all over the place....

Post September 30th, 2010, 12:33 pm

Points on hand: 5,761.00 Points

there very cool coasters and rage is brill

looks like the SLC has met its match
Making screams come true

Post September 30th, 2010, 12:34 pm

I think they're trying for the newer train style with lapbars like Six Flags Over Georgia is getting.

Post September 30th, 2010, 12:41 pm

Points on hand: 2,597.00 Points
I go to Canobie every year for a day when I got to NH for hockey. Should be interesting to see how this one ends up turning out.

Post September 30th, 2010, 12:50 pm

Points on hand: 1,464.00 Points
I don't Freddie, unless 8-seater trains will be using lap bars too.
I'd like to ride one of these 320+ Eurofighter models using lap bars, that would be a fun experience...
maxamaxam : you should have ridden Falcon at Duinrell since you live in the Netherlands. Yeah so I don't know why, but Falcon opened in 2008 or 2009, and you say it hangbangs all along the ride... I rode typhoon which is 4 or 5 years older, and I haven't noticed any headbanging, my ears and my skull were all okay after 5 rides... What's wrong with it ?

Post September 30th, 2010, 12:59 pm
Dirk_Ermen User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 2,175.50 Points
Bank: 45,000.00 Points
Cool news, one more Eurofighter going to America. [:)]

Originally posted by LeFLO

maxamaxam : you should have ridden Falcon at Duinrell since you live in the Netherlands. Yeah so I don't know why, but Falcon opened in 2008 or 2009, and you say it hangbangs all along the ride... I rode typhoon which is 4 or 5 years older, and I haven't noticed any headbanging, my ears and my skull were all okay after 5 rides... What's wrong with it ?

He complains about the typical Gerstlauer headbangs. Which is actually not really a big deal. Falcon is a cool ride with a couple weird shakes but no true headbanging.
Coastercount: 1410 (I've seen the world and it's horrid contraptions... @.@)
- Wood: 142
- Steel: 1268

Post September 30th, 2010, 1:06 pm

Points on hand: 1,117.00 Points

I like gerstlauers becouse they have such fast transitions but to say an Eurofighter is a comfortable ride, no not really. You have to brace yourself against the headrest the whole ride or else you'll get a bad headache. But this is only the case with the Eurofighters I've ridden, Anubis for instance is a great and relatively smooth ride.

Post September 30th, 2010, 1:20 pm

Canobie also maintains their rides very well. Their Arrow Corkscrew runs great most of the time, with pretty much no headbanging. I'm not overly worried about how smooth this will be.

I don't Freddie, unless 8-seater trains will be using lap bars too.

Yeah, I can't remember where I read it now, but they sound like they want the lapbars. I assume they'll be similar to Wicked at Lagoon.

Post September 30th, 2010, 1:40 pm

Points on hand: 5,761.00 Points

wierd, every eurofighter in the UK is glass smooth with the only exception being on the first drop of SAW the ride with the 2 majour bumps at the bottom which is now fixed, otherwise there glass smooth
Making screams come true

Post September 30th, 2010, 2:39 pm

Points on hand: 3,059.00 Points
Gazag... Your avatar is Grammar Time, yet, you said "otherwise there glass smooth"

lol sorry, had to point it out.

Post September 30th, 2010, 3:16 pm

Points on hand: 77.00 Points
^Fail. Thats been his joke for a while.
Eurofighters are rough in the front seat, I've noticed that on the 2 I've been on.

Post September 30th, 2010, 3:24 pm

Points on hand: 1,303.00 Points
Is it just me or are roller coasters getting shorter and shorter?

Post September 30th, 2010, 3:28 pm
slosprint User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 5,728.00 Points
Not really, remember that a new Giga just opened this year, along with a B&M hyper, a GCI which is freaking enormous and many others. I prefer a nice, small compact ride to a ginormous spread out one any day though.
Boulder Dash was the only good roller coaster.

"or if you're when the hydraulic fluid was dumped out of the motor is goes 200ft up the tower and is like "LOL nope"" - CKMWM 2016

Post September 30th, 2010, 3:37 pm

Top speed means nothing. Pacing is what matters, and this ride has it.

And that aside, Canobie has some strict height restrictions. Their ferris wheel is the tallest thing they have, and I think that's only around 90', but it was grandfathered in. They're limited to 80' or 85' normally.

Post September 30th, 2010, 4:01 pm

Points on hand: 3,059.00 Points
Originally posted by Mad-man 5

^Fail. Thats been his joke for a while.
Eurofighters are rough in the front seat, I've noticed that on the 2 I've been on.

Failing means I would have had to have known his joke. Obviously I didn't, mostly because I'm not around very much. ;) Nice try.

Post September 30th, 2010, 5:00 pm

Points on hand: 1,303.00 Points
Originally posted by slosprint

Not really, remember that a new Giga just opened this year, along with a B&M hyper, a GCI which is freaking enormous and many others. I prefer a nice, small compact ride to a ginormous spread out one any day though.

True about the giga and the hyper. Where was the GCI?

Originally posted by Freddie

Top speed means nothing. Pacing is what matters, and this ride has it.

I don't really care about top speed either. It just seems like this coaster has many quick elements and it's done. It seems like a short ride.

Post September 30th, 2010, 5:28 pm
slosprint User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Originally posted by ProZach626

Originally posted by slosprint

True about the giga and the hyper. Where was the GCI?

Whoops, I meant to say it was under construction. I meant the one in China.

"or if you're when the hydraulic fluid was dumped out of the motor is goes 200ft up the tower and is like "LOL nope"" - CKMWM 2016

Post October 1st, 2010, 2:49 am

Points on hand: 81.00 Points

not going to lie, for what Canobie has to offer, this is by far the most bad ass of attractions. It is original for the area that its going to be in, and something new (where Canobie seems to get a lot of rides 2nd hand). I'm quite excited to see how this turns out, and being a short walk from my house, i'll try to keep everyone updated!

-Android

Post October 1st, 2010, 3:06 am

I doubt it will be as good as Cannonball, but yeah, should be a good ride for them.

Post October 16th, 2010, 4:32 pm

Apparently it's going to be called Untamed. All permits have been approved and it's good to go.

Post October 16th, 2010, 5:15 pm
slosprint User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

That bear looks scary.

Post October 16th, 2010, 5:40 pm

Points on hand: 209.00 Points
Bank: 311.00 Points

Post October 17th, 2010, 1:15 am

Points on hand: 2,652.00 Points
Bank: 2,739.00 Points

Yet another reason for me to make the cross-country journey to my home state.I read that this is going to be built on the land Rockin' Rider used to occupy. I thought they put the Huss frisbee on that site...I'm confused?!?
"if you found your laughin' place, how come you ain't laughin'."https://www.facebook.com/calicoaster1/

Post October 17th, 2010, 3:41 am

Points on hand: 5,657.00 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points
Huss Frisbees suck. They don;t go very high and you have a horibble view. Plus there is no airtime.
[19:34:14] RideWarriorNation: jim
[19:34:27] RideWarriorNation: can you pls change sig
[19:35:22] Jcoasters: ok
[19:35:39] RideWarriorNation: ty

Next

Return to Theme Park News & Construction!