Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park News & Construction! New Orlando Thrill Park unveils 14 rides!

New Orlando Thrill Park unveils 14 rides!

Theme Park Construction And News Forum

Post December 3rd, 2010, 11:19 pm

Points on hand: 1,085.00 Points
With 14 rides, including eight roller coasters, the proposed Orlando Thrill Park hopes to cater to enthusiasts underserved by Florida's theme parks.

Photo gallery: View the 14 proposed Orlando Thrill Park rides

Scheduled to open in summer 2013, the proposed amusement park would include rides from several manufacturers, including Intamin, Vekoma, Chance Morgan, Mack, S&S Power, U.S. ThrillRides and Mondial, according to Chuck Bell, spokesman for the Orlando Thrill Park.

Plans for the 77-acre park call for an assortment of towering thrill rides and every variety of roller coaster -- including hydraulic launched, inverted, flying, motorbike and 4th dimension coasters -- with room set aside for future development. View a photo gallery of the 14 rides proposed for Orlando Thrill Park.

Located on International Drive across the I-4 corridor from Universal Studios Florida, Orlando Thrill Park would be a 5-mile drive from SeaWorld Orlando and about 10 miles from Walt Disney World.

Developers hope to secure financing in the coming months and submit plans for city approval by summer 2011, Bell said. Neighbors have raised concerns about noise and traffic.

During a pair of interviews, Bell stressed that the preliminary plans were subject to change and that the detailed park layout and proposed ride mix would continue to evolve with the project.

Bell pointed to two parks as inspiration for Orlando Thrill Park: Cedar Point in Ohio and Six Flags Magic Mountain in California, which have been dueling for a decade over the title of "Roller Coaster Capital of the World."

But with half as many coasters as Cedar Point and Magic Mountain, OTP's ride inventory would likely look a lot like Knott's Berry Farm in California -- without the Wild West theme, Bell acknowledged. Indeed, eight of the 14 rides envisioned for Orlando Thrill Park can be found at Cedar Point, Magic Mountain and/or Knott's.

Orlando Thrill Park hopes to fill a void created by the absence of any Six Flags or Cedar Fair amusement parks in Florida. Indeed, the Orlando-area parks -- Disney, Universal, SeaWorld and Busch Gardens -- are dominated by theme rather than thrills.

"We're not trying to out-Disney Disney," Bell said. "We know we can't do that."

The hope, he said, would be to steal a day from tourists on weeklong vacations to Orlando and draw locals from throughout Florida. Bell anticipates Orlando Thrill Park could attract 2 million annual visitors out of the roughly 50 million (nearly 47 million last year, says the local tourist bureau) who come to the Orlando area every year. The project includes plans for a 3,300-space multi-story parking structure.

Florida certainly has its share of top-notch coasters: the SheiKra floorless dive machine at Busch Gardens Tampa, the Manta flying coaster at SeaWorld Orlando, the Incredible Hulk launched coaster at Universal's Islands of Adventure and Expedition Everest at Disney's Animal Kingdom.

But only one central Florida park would compete with Orlando Thrill Park's eight proposed coasters: Busch Gardens Tampa, which also claims eight. SeaWorld has only four coasters. and Universal boasts only seven coasters between its two parks. And it's the same for Disney, which counts a mere seven coasters among its four parks. (All counts are according to Roller Coaster Database)

Orlando Thrill Park would have no themed environments, no costumed characters, no dark rides and few if any shows, Bell said. Instead, it would be all about the biggest, tallest, fastest, longest, steepest and greatest thrills.

No price tag has been pinned to the new park, but by my estimate the ride inventory alone would top $100 million. Bell said he hopes OTP would serve as a proving ground for the latest and greatest from the amusement industry, showcasing one-of-a-kind, prototype, record-breaking, envelope-pushing, adrenaline-based extreme rides.

"To us they're just giant Tinkertoys," Bell said. "After a while, we'll just sell the old rides and add new prototypes."

http://www.latimes.com/travel/deals/the ... 2370.story

The park will have a Mondial 'Splash over' seen at Knotts Berry Farm, Skyquest, S&S Power drop tower also found at KBF, a Mondial revolution, a Intamin Mega splash ALSO found at KBF, Chance Morgan uni-coaster, a launched Vekoma Motorbike, Vekoma suspended looping coaster.

A Mack launched coaster similar to Blue Fire Europa Park

Vekoma Stingray!
Features a horseshoe, Immelmann, stinger curve over. 104 feet tall with a 1,200 feet of track.

Vekoma/Chance Morgan Dive pretzel coaster with a 148 foot lift, a series of a giant loops and 2000 feet of track.

Intamin ZacSpin coaster!

Intamin Inverted accelerator coaster that launches off at 120 mph into a top hat element at 425 feet in the air!

S&S Power Fourth Dimension coaster with a height of 200 feet, 360 degree rotating seat, and speeds up to 75mph

http://www.latimes.com/travel/deals/the ... otogallery
Last edited by fear the four on December 4th, 2010, 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This is not my signature.

Post December 3rd, 2010, 11:26 pm
slosprint User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 5,728.00 Points
This will be epic.
Boulder Dash was the only good roller coaster.

"or if you're when the hydraulic fluid was dumped out of the motor is goes 200ft up the tower and is like "LOL nope"" - CKMWM 2016

Post December 3rd, 2010, 11:37 pm
Jer User avatar

Points on hand: 1,089.00 Points

Vekoma/Chance Morgan Dive pretzel coaster with a 148 foot lift, a series of a giant loops and 2000 feet of track.

SAY WHAT! seriously what the love!
Phoenix|Maverick|Skyrush|RFII|Leviathan|Bizzaro[SFNE]|Bdash|Griffon|El Toro|Verbolten
RIP Chiller: 1997-2008

Post December 3rd, 2010, 11:39 pm

Points on hand: 6,575.00 Points

TTD/KK Clone? 120mph 425ft... BUT inverted?!?!
Cedar Point
2008-2015
--2015--
Beach Band- June-August
https://www.facebook.com/TrumpetDMR

Post December 3rd, 2010, 11:39 pm

Points on hand: 760.00 Points

Post December 3rd, 2010, 11:43 pm

Points on hand: 3,059.00 Points
Anyone notice in the slideshow #15? FOUR D to the EAST COAST. Heck yeas.

Post December 4th, 2010, 12:15 am

Points on hand: 535.00 Points
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

*catches breath*

AAAAHHHHHHAAAAHHHHHAAHH!!!!!!!!!

THANK YOU ORLANDO! YEASS! WHEW!

Sorry, it's just...we've needed one of these for a while, and I can't wait to see what the "other rides" not yet confirmed are going to be...holy sh*t, i'm quoting Slos on this one!

THIS IS GOING TO BE EYPIC X)
"Don't be a disability"... yep, still keeping that. :P

Post December 4th, 2010, 12:39 am
SauronHimself User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 1,641.00 Points
Orlando has enough parks. Build one in Jacksonville where you have the most land. It would not only offer a park close for northern FL residents, but southern Georgia residents wouldn't have to make the five-hour drive to Six Flags in Atlanta.

Post December 4th, 2010, 2:18 am

Points on hand: 10,012.00 Points
Originally posted by Tidus

Sorry, it's just...we've needed one of these for a while

What... a new park? Around Orlando? What is the matter with you...

Post December 4th, 2010, 2:50 am

Points on hand: 1,277.00 Points
Originally posted by coasterdave

I have a feeling that idea is going to be thrown out later on.

Post December 4th, 2010, 2:51 am

Points on hand: 5,657.00 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points
Seems awesome.
[19:34:14] RideWarriorNation: jim
[19:34:27] RideWarriorNation: can you pls change sig
[19:35:22] Jcoasters: ok
[19:35:39] RideWarriorNation: ty

Post December 4th, 2010, 2:59 am

Points on hand: 10,012.00 Points
Originally posted by coasterdave

I missed something.. where does it say it will be a clone?

Post December 4th, 2010, 3:16 am

Points on hand: 535.00 Points
Originally posted by GerstlCrazy

Originally posted by Tidus

Sorry, it's just...we've needed one of these for a while

What... a new park? Around Orlando? What is the matter with you...
Dedicated to thrill alone. It's different. I'm sure they are going to embellish more as time goes on. So yeah, while maybe not as impressive as a theme park, it'll just be for the thrill seekers!
"Don't be a disability"... yep, still keeping that. :P

Post December 4th, 2010, 3:21 am

Points on hand: 2,153.00 Points
um... last i checked.. isnt universal on the outside of orlando, sea world not in orlando and disney is in buena vista or what ever they call there city.
but where can i get a season pass to this park :)
i would go to this place every week like i do with universal :D
i do think that they should build this more to davenport, haines city near highway 27 where there is nothing but open land and lotts of space for construction... lego land will be all alone,
but i do think this will be a good park
i heard about this 2 months ago.. but it was a rumor then..
now i guess they will be trying to get there asses moving and make a good rollercoaster park (since it has no theme it wold be a rollercoaster park)

i hope they dont fall through the floor like cypress gardens :(

Post December 4th, 2010, 7:45 am

Points on hand: 209.00 Points
Bank: 311.00 Points
Originally posted by SauronHimself

Orlando has enough parks. Build one in Jacksonville where you have the most land. It would not only offer a park close for northern FL residents, but southern Georgia residents wouldn't have to make the five-hour drive to Six Flags in Atlanta.

I second that,but you know who really needs a decent themepark?
Switzerland,we have nothing exept that PAX![:(]

Post December 4th, 2010, 8:58 am

Points on hand: 3,805.00 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points
if i'm being honest... quite disappointed about no theming. i adore a well themed coaster. especially if the theming adds to the ride.
but apart from that, this sounds amazing
Cradled by two loving arms that I'd die for,
One little kiss and Felina goodbye.

Post December 4th, 2010, 2:24 pm
SauronHimself User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 1,641.00 Points
Originally posted by Live on earths ass

Wait a minute. Between Victorinox products, chocolate, and bank accounts your country can't afford another theme park?

Post December 4th, 2010, 3:01 pm

Points on hand: 1,601.00 Points
I'm sure they can afford it, but they just don't want to [:P]

On a side note, and I'm sure I'm going to be flamed for this, but what if this isn't real? To me, the whole thing seems too chaotically organized to be a real park. I'm in complete agreement that Orlando needs a thrill park, and have been advocating to my parents that Disney needs to add a "ThrillDisney" park to WDW, but I see this "Orlando Thrill Park" as too...what's the word...I don't even know. It just seems weird to me. Yes, I know it's in the LA Times or whatever, but still. Discuss.

Post December 4th, 2010, 3:04 pm
Mikey User avatar
Site Admin
Site Admin

Points on hand: 6,049.50 Points

Sorry, But I am failing to see how this new proposal is going to make it amongst all of the other attractions off of I-Drive.

Post December 4th, 2010, 3:22 pm
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
You guys missed product 15 and 16.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post December 4th, 2010, 3:36 pm

Originally posted by Coasterkidmwm

You guys missed product 15 and 16.

My mistake... fixed it.

Looks like I will be making a trip to Orlando in 2013!

Post December 4th, 2010, 3:43 pm
Pad

Points on hand: 1,981.00 Points

Post December 4th, 2010, 3:46 pm

No Woodie has been released yet.

Post December 4th, 2010, 4:20 pm
Jer User avatar

Points on hand: 1,089.00 Points

looking at the list that this park has it'll probably end up being a intamin plug'n'play with amazing airtime.
Phoenix|Maverick|Skyrush|RFII|Leviathan|Bizzaro[SFNE]|Bdash|Griffon|El Toro|Verbolten
RIP Chiller: 1997-2008

Post December 4th, 2010, 4:25 pm

Points on hand: 209.00 Points
Bank: 311.00 Points

Originally posted by Live on earths ass

Wait a minute. Between Victorinox products, chocolate, and bank accounts your country can't afford another theme park?

I was a bit harsh!I forgot to mention several of those awesome parks with their even awesomer Butterflies.
And this thing that tried to be a coaster but failed,aka the PAX.

Next

Return to Theme Park News & Construction!