Board index Theme Park Discussions General Theme Park Discussions What do we love about roller coasters?

What do we love about roller coasters?

Discuss anything related to theme parks in general.

Post September 10th, 2013, 3:43 pm

Points on hand: 1,343.00 Points
Bank: 826.00 Points
I have determined I have the coolest English teacher ever. We actually get to write about what we want to. My topic is fear. Specifically, what is it we crave about fear? Roller coasters are designed to bring out fear in people. If we didn't have some kind attraction to fear then this site or any theme parks would even exist. My reason for posting this? I have access to a group of people who can tell me why we love roller coasters and why we actively seek out things that are meant to scare us. This community is a credible source that can give reasoning with more power than any of the people on a travel channel show.

In short, I would like your expert opinions on why we ride? This would add a great deal of credibility to my paper and it makes the subject even more fun to write about!

I could write it based on my own opinion, but primary sources other than myself add to the quality. I'm not at all asking people to write it for me. I'm trying to spark conversation to collect real data and information.

Your opinions would be greatly appreciated and credit will be given where credit is due!
Last edited by jdmi012 on September 10th, 2013, 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post September 10th, 2013, 6:12 pm

Points on hand: 3,691.00 Points
To be honest, I don't ride coaster for the fear factor. I don't scream or find them scary in the least. I love them for the adrenaline factor! The rush, the speed, being upside-down and such. I find them to be fun, like I said, not screaming just sitting there enjoying the ride! I love all the different forces you experience that you don't get to elsewhere. Normally me and my friend just talk on the ride about what we like and don't like. "I LOVE THIS PART!", or "HOLD ON, THIS TURN SUCKS!", haha. Sorry if this doesn't help since your topic is fear, I just thought I'd express why I love coasters. I know most people are in them for the fear factor and they normally find it weird that I don't scream or find them scary myself, haha.

Post September 10th, 2013, 7:37 pm

That does help! The topic is not set in stone so I can change it if I need to. I'm actually expecting some similar answers from us enthusiasts. I have some ideas, I'm not totally locked in at this point.

Post September 10th, 2013, 8:33 pm

Points on hand: 3,691.00 Points
Awesome, glad I could help out then! Hopefully you get some others that reply, and good luck on the paper!

Post September 11th, 2013, 3:19 am
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 2,723.00 Points
Bank: 25,088.00 Points

Post September 11th, 2013, 2:59 pm

Points on hand: 209.00 Points
Bank: 311.00 Points
Same as Gouldy. I have a fear of heights. Call it masochism, but I'd almost say that roller coasters are some kind of therapy for me. I don't get to ride them often, but I love it.

Post September 11th, 2013, 5:36 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 2,723.00 Points
Bank: 25,088.00 Points

Post September 11th, 2013, 11:09 pm

Points on hand: 92.00 Points
Bank: 1,341.05 Points
Having a fear of heights is very common; almost universal. Roller coasters help us face that fear. Many would argue that one of the best ways to conquer a fear is to face it head on in a safe and responsible manner. Personally, I find that riding roller coasters helps me do exactly that, and at the same time, give me a thrill like none other. Where else can you get the thrill of falling out of the sky without paying hundreds of dollars and taking many risks into account. To sky dive, you have to sign a waiver that says if you become injured, you won't sue the company hosting the jump. Roller coasters give us a similar thrill in a safer way; and since we don't have to sign anything upon walking into an amusement park, guests are allowed to have the mentality of "if I get hurt, I'm suing". In short, it's about facing fears and getting an extraordinary feeling.
Originally posted by GerstlCrazy
Cool! The name is Fly Over Rainforest?
I was under the impression the name was Green Coaster Goes Fast Goes High Has Clockwise Loop Has Straight Upside Down Four Seats Two On Each Side Fast Coaster?

Post September 11th, 2013, 11:30 pm

Points on hand: 2,704.00 Points
I used to ride them because they are just plain cool. That changed over time and while I still totally appreciate the engineering aspect of them, I'm just as obsessed with how crazy and fun and surreal the experience of riding a coaster is. I swear it's like a drug..

Also I think everyone has the potential to become obsessed with them, because the more my friends ride them and the better ones they get to ride the more on the same page I am with them. Adrenaline is dangerously addictive..

Same reason I am addicted to spicy food.

Post September 12th, 2013, 12:10 am

I'm liking the responses. It's become an addiction in most of us it seems. I never rode large coasters until last year. Since then, I have doubled my coaster count including getting rides on Raging Bull, Kraken, and the Incredible Hulk. The thought of getting me back to a theme park gets me excited now. Waiting in line I still get the jitters but there is never one moment where I want to walk across to the exit. I'm ecstatic that my home park is getting a sick RMC woodie. Next year is going to be huge as me and my dad are going to CP and KI.

Kyle Sloane, I agree. Anyone can get hooked!

Post September 12th, 2013, 2:25 am

Points on hand: 10,012.00 Points
The out of control feeling that is inherently safe.
The beauty of a well-shaped roller coaster.
The force alteration that is caused by a simple and spatially-constrained sequence of radii and velocity changes.
The complexity that is behind the simplicity.

You have a point about 'craving fear' that I don't think that even the most practiced psychologist could explain. I don't initially believe that it's fear that brings me to desire the 200+ ft. fall, or the 7 inversions in a row. But it must be, I suppose. The fear and the appreciation for the mechanics.

The future before me as a mechanical engineering student is as mysterious as it is basic. It's a beautiful field of study.

Post September 19th, 2013, 11:47 pm

Bump!

I'm going to make this a little more debatable. There is lots of things we love about roller coasters, now let's pick the one we can't live without.

For me, its the anticipation I get while I'm waiting in line or crawling up the lift. I still get a bit frightened by roller coasters so I'm not totally immune to this.

Post September 20th, 2013, 2:19 am
mkingy User avatar

Points on hand: 28,048.00 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points
Originally posted by gouldy

Airtime.
Engineering.
Aesthetics.

This pretty much sums me up too. I do enjoy a solid inversion however :)
Coaster Count - 198
France 2019 Mini Trip Report

Post September 21st, 2013, 11:27 am
TheArchitect User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 501,147.00 Points
Bank: 498,048.00 Points

Post September 21st, 2013, 8:48 pm

Points on hand: 103.00 Points
Bank: 4,290.00 Points
Originally posted by gouldy

Airtime.
Engineering.
Aesthetics.

Add:
Mechanics.
Physics.
Bouncy boobs.

Post September 21st, 2013, 8:58 pm

^ you sir just made my paper XD

I'm liking the feedback. My proposal was accepted and I encourage you to continue responding and adding to the discussion.

Return to General Theme Park Discussions