Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park News & Construction! Alabama Adventure park purchased by Dan

Alabama Adventure park purchased by Dan

Theme Park Construction And News Forum

Post March 14th, 2014, 12:50 pm

Points on hand: 271.00 Points
Bank: 7,431.00 Points

In a bit of surprising news, the local news reports that the ??????Koch family?????? has purchased Alabama??????s Splash Adventure waterpark?????? formerly known as VisionLand and Alabama Adventure in years past. While this is good news for the park, the headline is semi-deceiving. The park has been purchased by Dan Koch, and has no connection at all to Holiday World, which would also be considered to be owned by the Koch family.

I??????m not certain if any other members of the Koch family are involved in the deal to purchase the park or not however, through I did hear from an anonymous source that Dan??????s sister Natalie may also be involved. According to the article, Dan Koch, who previously was living in Florida and had a law practice, has moved to Alabama and will put the experience of having had his family run a park for decades to use in running Alabama??????s Splash Adventure waterpark.

They have also announced new attractions coming to the park this season: Wacky Worm Coaster, Rio Grande Train, Junior Bumper Boats, Mini Helicopters, Vintage Boats and a new Laser Maze Challenge. Other changes that are sure to be popular this year is a switch to free parking, free sunscreen, free tubes and free in-park WiFi. (No free soda though??????)

With the purchase of new ??????rides?????? for the waterpark, I do have to wonder if they may look into reopening and expanding the former dry side of the park once again in the future. It is also worth noting that the park??????s former owners are keeping 150 unused acres next to the park??????s property.

Post March 16th, 2014, 10:30 am
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
I would laugh my ass off if they Geauga Lake'd it.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post March 16th, 2014, 10:54 am
TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 738.00 Points
Bank: 111,265.11 Points
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
I would laugh my ass off if they Geauga Lake'd it.

+1

Post March 16th, 2014, 11:45 am
Mikey User avatar
Site Admin
Site Admin

Points on hand: 6,049.50 Points

It will be interesting to see what they can come up with as everything else the previous owners did pretty much failed to launch. Being close to Texas Alabama Adventure has been one of those parks that I have kept my eye on over the years. I had hoped that it would grow much like Magic Springs / Crystal falls did when they got their boomer in the mid 2000's. After all there is a reason why I joking refer to Vekoma Boomerangs as the "My First Coaster Starter Kit". It's because its one of the most cost effective investments you can make to get a marque attraction in small town USA.

It's been a few years since I have been there, but it looks like most of the rides are no longer at the park and the format has changed to primarily a water park. It would not be out of the ordinary for the Koch family to build up the water park as the primary focus on the five year plan before back building the dry side in phases. TConwell lives in that part of the world, so he might know more about it.

Post March 16th, 2014, 12:02 pm

Points on hand: 271.00 Points
Bank: 7,431.00 Points

Knowing the Kocks I've got to say they know how to build up a park. Dan has said that he will have the dry ride part up and yes Rampage will be part of it. He said that the track and trains need work so don't look for the dry ride area to be fully up and running this year. I'd have to say I see the ride end of the park to be open next year as as All the rides were sold off, with the exception of Rampage.I see GG coming in and doing their thing with Rampage.

Return to Theme Park News & Construction!