Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park Reviews Elitch Gardens - A Family-Owned Seasonal Amusement Park

Elitch Gardens - A Family-Owned Seasonal Amusement Park

Staff approved theme park reviews are posted here. Read the sticky topic for details in posting your reviews.

mkingy User avatar

Points on hand: 28,053.00 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points
Elitch Gardens ?????? Denver, Colorado

Background
Elitch Gardens began life as a zoological gardens in 1980 before relocating to its current location in 1995 where it expanded greatly to become the park that it is now. It was a family owned business until 1996 where it was bought by Premier and has since endured a complicated ownership history that included being a Six Flags park (1999 ?????? 2006) before being sold on. The park is currently owned by CNL Lifestyle Properties and operated by Premier Parks Limited.

The parks' first rollercoaster was Mister Twister 1964 (redesigned for the 1965 season) by John Allen of the Philadelphia Tobaggan Company which was the basis for the Twister 2 rollercoaster that opened when the park moved location. The park opened a water park called Island Kingdom in 1997 and with the addition of the Trocadero Ballroom the park also provided a venue for music and arts.

Currently the park contains a total of 28 rides and water rides including 6 rollercoasters.

Getting There / Location
Google Maps Location

By Car:
Elitch Gardens is conveniently located in Downtown Denver. From I-25, go south on Speer Boulevard (Exit Speer South) then turn right onto Elitch Circle.
Address: 2000 Elitch Circle, Denver, CO 80204

By Public Transport:
Elitch Gardens has its own stops via light rail (lines C, E and W) or RTD bus (route 10)
More public transport information info: http://www.rtd-denver.com/

Current Rollercoasters
Twister II is a twister wooden rollercoaster designed by John Pierce with Philadelphia Tobaggan Company trains which was opened in 1995 when the park relocated. The ride is based on the design of the original Mister Twister which was found at the original Elitch Gardens site and features a 91ft (28m) drop and speeds of 55mph. This ride is generally considered to not be very intense but a okay ride nonetheless.

Sidewinder is a launched loop rollercoaster designed by Arrow. This is a fairly rare model and currently only 3 exist in the world. The ride starts up quite high before experiencing a short drop into a loop before stopping and completing the loop in reverse. The straight nature of the track removes a lot of the Arrow roughness and this sort of ride is fairly fun, however don't expect a punch from launch!

Mind Eraser is a SLC (Standard Looping Coaster) built and designed by Vekoma. This common ride features 5 inversions, 2260ft of track and a top speed just short of 50mph. SLC??????s are generally fairly rough however is a good rollercoaster with an interesting first element (Roll Over).

Boomerang is a classic vekoma boomerang which opened in 1999. Vekoma boomerangs start with a reverse lift hill before navigating a cobra roll and loop and then complete the return journey in reverse. This model of rollercoaster is typically quite rough but is considered to be a solid young adult rollercoaster.

Half Pipe opened in 2004 and is a Intamin Half Pipe rollercoaster. This style of coaster has several passes through the station to gain enough speed to send the trains up the vertical spikes either side in order to give air time.

Other Notable Rides
Elitch gardens contains many flat rides, water rides and family rides including:
  • Huss Top Spin called Shake, Rattle & Roll
  • Huss Breakdancer called Hollywood & Vine
  • Shoot the Chute water ride called Shipwreck Falls
  • 210ft Intamin Drop Tower called Tower of Doom
  • Laser gun style haunted house called Ghost Busters II
  • 300ft tall Observation Tower

Pictures
We have no pictures for Elitch Gardens currently. If you have any to contribute please contact a member of staff!
Coaster Count - 198
France 2019 Mini Trip Report

Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
Arrow made shuttle loops, not Vekoma right?
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

mkingy User avatar

Points on hand: 2,652.00 Points
Bank: 2,739.00 Points

yep, These models were quite popular in the late 80's, early 90's.
"if you found your laughin' place, how come you ain't laughin'."https://www.facebook.com/calicoaster1/

Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

Points on hand: 11,527.60 Points
Bank: 187,052.60 Points

mkingy wrote:
Yep yep, my bad - Oscar to the edit!

me what? :shock: You can edit it :D I'm not sure what I'm supposed to edit :shock:
Support Us! - Click Here To Donate $5 Monthly!
Paradox wrote:
No need to tell Oscar about the problems. He is magic.

Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
Tsk tsk tsk double posting. Also has anyone been on that Twister II ride? It looks like what a GCI that doesn't suck should do.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

mkingy User avatar

Oscar wrote:
mkingy wrote:

me what? :shock: You can edit it :D I'm not sure what I'm supposed to edit :shock:

No I can't you made it so nothing can be edited after 10 minutes :P

Just Vekoma needs to be replaced with arrow on the Sidewinder description.

From what I read Twister II is ruined by 2 massive trim brakes :/
Coaster Count - 198
France 2019 Mini Trip Report

Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

Points on hand: 11,527.60 Points
Bank: 187,052.60 Points

mkingy wrote:
Oscar wrote:
mkingy wrote:

No I can't you made it so nothing can be edited after 10 minutes :P

Just Vekoma needs to be replaced with arrow on the Sidewinder description.

From what I read Twister II is ruined by 2 massive trim brakes :/

Ah, that :lol: Ok, it is now fixed!
Support Us! - Click Here To Donate $5 Monthly!
Paradox wrote:
No need to tell Oscar about the problems. He is magic.

Return to Theme Park Reviews