Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park News & Construction! Revolution At SFMM To Be Removed?

Revolution At SFMM To Be Removed?

Theme Park Construction And News Forum

Post April 30th, 2014, 10:43 pm
TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 738.00 Points
Bank: 111,265.11 Points
Looks like at Six Flags Magic Mountain, Revolution had recently come back from a refurbishment in January. But now the rides appears to be closed again and the trains appear to be missing? Where could they be? What is the potential fate of Revolution? What do you think?

Source

Post May 1st, 2014, 12:12 am

Points on hand: 10,012.00 Points
I don't think it's completely implausible, but I hope it doesn't happen anytime soon. That's a roller coaster I definitely want to ride sometime, but may not get a chance to for awhile.

Post May 1st, 2014, 12:45 am
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 2,798.00 Points
Bank: 25,088.00 Points

I am there in literally 3 months time, so they better not remove it yet! It's one I always wanted to ride, since I was young! Tried to recreate similar rides on pretty much every scenario on RCT back in the day.

Post May 1st, 2014, 12:52 am
mkingy User avatar

Points on hand: 28,053.00 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points
Noooooo! I really enjoyed this when I was over in America - one of my favorite rides of the day!
Coaster Count - 198
France 2019 Mini Trip Report

Post May 1st, 2014, 1:51 am

Points on hand: 2,652.00 Points
Bank: 2,739.00 Points

Dear Six Flags Dee-Dee Dee's,

NNNOOOO!! First, you build an entire coaster over a section of the parking lot, without the having the common decency of at least removing the stall markings and repaving the poorly maintained asphalt; then, you removed the best log flume ride ever built, now you are possibly removing a piece of roller coaster history, ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!????!! NO! Bad! Six Flags, Bad! If you do anything to this ride, just remove the god awful coma and hemorrhage-inducing OTSR's. That is the ONLY problem with this iconic coaster. FIX THE PROBLEM YOU CREATED DON'T JUST GET RID OF IT!! Do you not realize the S--T storm that will follow if this is in fact true. The coaster community would be in an uproar, creating a PR nightmare; one way worse than was created following the recent NTG incident, you should realize the clout that the coaster community holds regarding this park and chain of parks, as the leader in the coaster world in terms of total number of coasters, number of record-breaking coasters, total track length and total number of riders and as a leader in the amusement industry you really need to take a look at the poor direction the company has been following over the last 10 or 15 years. And for the love of god PLEASE PLEASE PPPLLLEEEEEAAASSSEEEEE! change the colors of B:TR back to the original grey and black that it had donned since the day it opened.

Sincerely,

one seriously pissed of coaster and theme park enthusiast.
"if you found your laughin' place, how come you ain't laughin'."https://www.facebook.com/calicoaster1/

Post May 1st, 2014, 8:02 am
TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

I got to ride it back in November. I had always wanted to ride it since I first saw it back in National Lampoon's Vacation 10 years ago. Needless to say, it's a cool ride through the forest, but it's definitely rough, so don't expect all greatness and smoothness when you ride it :P

Post May 1st, 2014, 8:39 am

Points on hand: 4,657.00 Points
Bank: 6,667.00 Points
Maybe they're getting the new Gerstlauer trains that Hershey got for Soopdooperlooper. I see absolutely no evidence that this points to its being removed
What are these for?

Post May 1st, 2014, 9:28 am
mkingy User avatar

TTD03 wrote:
I got to ride it back in November. I had always wanted to ride it since I first saw it back in National Lampoon's Vacation 10 years ago. Needless to say, it's a cool ride through the forest, but it's definitely rough, so don't expect all greatness and smoothness when you ride it :P

Rough?! You kids these days need to toughen up!
Coaster Count - 198

Post May 1st, 2014, 9:34 am

Points on hand: 1,589.00 Points
Bank: 1,000.00 Points
It's such a nice looking coaster. I even like how it looks old. To me, it just makes it look great, and it's fun to ride even though it is rough.

I still love the Timberwolf at Worlds of Fun, and that's much rougher than Revolution.

Post May 1st, 2014, 10:30 am

Points on hand: 5,394.00 Points
Bank: 1,660.00 Points
This ride is rough? WTF? I've been on it a few times, and it's not rough at all...
Oh, were you expecting something here?

Post May 1st, 2014, 11:54 am
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
I seriously doubt new trains lol. This place doesn't care
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post May 1st, 2014, 1:48 pm
TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

mkingy wrote:
TTD03 wrote:

Rough?! You kids these days need to toughen up!

rcking04 wrote:
This ride is rough? WTF? I've been on it a few times, and it's not rough at all...

Ok maybe rough wasn't the best word, the head banging was surprisingly an issue and I think that was the killer.

Post May 1st, 2014, 2:15 pm

Points on hand: 4,657.00 Points
Bank: 6,667.00 Points
I just dont think they would remove a ride that has made them money not only as a roller coaster but also as part of some movies. Family Vacation and Roller Coaster being the ones that come to mind. Its almost like if New York decided to close the coney island cyclone
What are these for?

Post May 1st, 2014, 2:33 pm
Turbo User avatar

Points on hand: 5,506.00 Points
Bank: 21,857.68 Points

Isn't this thing an ACE coaster landmark? I don't thin they'd ever remove it. Maybe new trains
Coaster Count: 582 // Top Five: 1. Helix 2. Nemesis 3. Big Bad Wolf 4. Boulder Dash 5. Balder

Coasterkidmwm wrote:
4 G's to the taint was a bit much for me because I'm not a power bottom like Turbo

Post May 1st, 2014, 2:34 pm
TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Then what would the renovations have been for? To take the old trains off, tear them apart, put them back together to then tear then apart again a few short months later?

Post May 1st, 2014, 2:42 pm
mkingy User avatar

CKidd wrote:
I just dont think they would remove a ride that has made them money not only as a roller coaster but also as part of some movies. Family Vacation and Roller Coaster being the ones that come to mind. Its almost like if New York decided to close the coney island cyclone

Alton Towers removed corkscrew - first double inverting ride in the UK and a hallmark ride for them. Granted this is not quite the same but don't trick yourself into thinking that theme park owners (especially large theme park owners) have much sentiment.
Coaster Count - 198

Post May 1st, 2014, 4:03 pm

Points on hand: 2,652.00 Points
Bank: 2,739.00 Points

Rough??? Not really, its the stupid otsr's that make it feel rough.
"if you found your laughin' place, how come you ain't laughin'."https://www.facebook.com/calicoaster1/

Post May 1st, 2014, 4:24 pm
Turbo User avatar

Come on, some of the banking transitions are rough
Coaster Count: 582 // Top Five: 1. Helix 2. Nemesis 3. Big Bad Wolf 4. Boulder Dash 5. Balder

Coasterkidmwm wrote:
4 G's to the taint was a bit much for me because I'm not a power bottom like Turbo

Post May 1st, 2014, 6:06 pm
TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

You have to think of it like this, If a ride is costing a park more money to maintain/fix/repair then they are getting back from riders and paid visitors and if the ride is not super popular, then it is time to go. How popular is revolution? If I remember correctly it doesn't even have any queue space, just a straight shot from the entrance to the station.

Post May 1st, 2014, 6:31 pm
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
I really don't know if SFMM would get the same backlash SFGAm got when SFGAm tried to get rid of Whizzer.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post May 1st, 2014, 8:28 pm
Turbo User avatar

I think it's funny that Full Throttle had lap bars while this has OSTR's.

Maybe they realized they could just have lap bars on this ride

Coasterkidmwm wrote:

Post May 1st, 2014, 8:52 pm
Mikey User avatar
Site Admin
Site Admin

Points on hand: 6,049.50 Points

I don't think it's a permanent thing, Six Flags is probably just trying to figure out how to put the trains on backwards purposely so the marketing department can call it a new ride. From the parks perspective: OPs is happy because its one less ride they have to staff which means less money out of the budget. Maintenance doesn't give a poop because its one less ride that's going to have a late safety check every morning. Safety/Engineering will be happy because they can add seat belts to it. Not exactly going to be a rush job ether way given the way I have observed SFMM being run..

Plus the Schwarzkopf coasters have notorious problems with welds cracking, specifically anywhere there is a a lot of strain and repetitive shock stress like in the corners where the weight shifts from the inside of the rails to the outside. Fatigue cracks that may or may not be visible and usually only show up in ND Tests. Most, if not all of them have annual metallurgical testing, and on some level have to have segments of track taken apart and the welds redone. All very normal for rides of this age and style. Even more so for a ride that is built on a mountain in a seismic zone in one of the most corrosive ozone environments on the planet.

I think your better off going to Knotts Berry Farm anyway... it might be smaller but unlike Magic Mountain their operations department feel comfortable operating multiple trains on a regular and routine basis.

Post May 4th, 2014, 3:24 am

Points on hand: 13,491.00 Points
^ About Schwarzkopf coasters, I didn't know that his tracks had such big problems.
-- I was happy to be with NL1 - [:')] --

Return to Theme Park News & Construction!