Board index Theme Park Discussions General Theme Park Discussions Vekoma SLC.

Vekoma SLC.

Discuss anything related to theme parks in general.

Post May 5th, 2014, 3:12 pm

Points on hand: 103.00 Points
Bank: 4,290.00 Points
I've always wondered what the exrteme hatred is on the default Vekoma SLC and the SLC extended design. I constantly read about how terribly shaky the ride is and people complaining about head banging etc??????

Yesterday I spend some time in Ratanga Junction for the first time in years. The place was practically empty from visitors so there were virtually no queue lines and Had the SLC (Cape Cobras) all to myself and friends almost.

I actually like the design, yes it's just another SLC with duplicates across the world but the ride itself has great pacing. Practically no air time but it is a invert still. The element layout is nice and compact and features very uncommon inversions that you can almost only find on the SLC. Including the in line twists and the tightened sea serpent (Roll over). Inversion turn, inversion turn inversion inversion turn turn and maybe that huge low helix.

After riding it again a couple of times I concluded that it's obvious why so many theme parks have one. They are fun, nice to watch and can be themed pretty well if you like the snake like idea for a ride (For example, Cape Cobras).

They do shake more than other invert's but this isn't due to poor transitions. IMO the transitions are pretty smooth. I've had a much worse experience in this regard on the Jozi Express in Gold Reef City where it actually feels like you're hitting un smooth vertices in NL 1. And the Jozi Express is meant to be a really tame family coaster. :?

B&M Patented many factors of car design if I can recall correctly so the SLC's are basically a suspended coaster with 2 shock absorbers holding the car in place. I believe the shaky ride is due to this and the up stop not making proper contact with the track. The single up-stop wheels causes individual cars to hit transitions at minor strange angles enhancing the shakes. This is all my perspective and please correct me if I'm wrong.

All and all included it doesn't even shake that bad. Yes you do get a bit of head banging and stuff but is this really so bad that it's actually painful for some? It's less intense than many coasters I've been on and is still considered in my opinion as a pretty well designed coaster.

Thoughts?

Post May 5th, 2014, 9:53 pm
TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 738.00 Points
Bank: 111,265.11 Points
Go ride Mind Eraser, it'll make you forget Cape Cobras and pretty much your entire life due to the massive headache that will ensue.

Post May 5th, 2014, 10:00 pm

Points on hand: 92.00 Points
Bank: 1,341.05 Points
Looks like Cape Cobras is the 765m extended with the helix. These aren't as common as the 689m standard SLC. I think the extended versions are probably smoother than the others, and most people complain about the 689m version.
Originally posted by GerstlCrazy
Cool! The name is Fly Over Rainforest?
I was under the impression the name was Green Coaster Goes Fast Goes High Has Clockwise Loop Has Straight Upside Down Four Seats Two On Each Side Fast Coaster?

Post May 5th, 2014, 10:09 pm

Points on hand: 5,889.00 Points
I've only been on the one at Michigan's Adventure... butter smooth, yet very forceful
American Eagle Lover

Post May 6th, 2014, 9:51 am

Points on hand: 103.00 Points
Bank: 4,290.00 Points
TTD03 wrote:
Go ride Mind Eraser, it'll make you forget Cape Cobras and pretty much your entire life due to the massive headache that will ensue.

Haha. Great take on the name.

NightwindElf wrote:
Looks like Cape Cobras is the 765m extended with the helix. These aren't as common as the 689m standard SLC. I think the extended versions are probably smoother than the others, and most people complain about the 689m version.

Could be. But I seriously doubt that it's as bad as one of these knock offs...

Post May 6th, 2014, 11:10 am
TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

dj-dj wrote:
TTD03 wrote:

Haha. Great take on the name.

Thanks! :D

Post May 6th, 2014, 11:19 am

Points on hand: 9,697.00 Points
I've hated every one I've been on. The cool compact layout and interesting inversions aren't worth the headache from pumping and jerking, plus those giant annoying harnesses are just unnecessary.

Post May 6th, 2014, 12:43 pm

Points on hand: 2,652.00 Points
Bank: 2,739.00 Points

I am beginning to wonder if the SLC bashing is mainly by people who have only ridden the ones owned by a Six Flags park. I rode Kong at SFDK about 9 or 10 years ago and did not enjoy it at all. The ride was shaky, bumpy and just overall uncomfortably painful. I would have preferred a Psyclone ass-kicking over a Kong beating.
"if you found your laughin' place, how come you ain't laughin'."https://www.facebook.com/calicoaster1/

Post May 6th, 2014, 7:06 pm
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
Yeah I still have never ridden an SLC and they're kind of mysterious to me. I want to see what everyone hates so much.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post May 6th, 2014, 9:30 pm

Points on hand: 4,657.00 Points
Bank: 6,667.00 Points
I really wanted to ride the SLC at Morey's piers, but the last time I was there I wasn't tall enough, and since I've grown up no one really wants to take the 4 hour trip to go to the jersey shore.
What are these for?

Post May 7th, 2014, 9:51 am
TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

CKidd wrote:
I really wanted to ride the SLC at Morey's piers, but the last time I was there I wasn't tall enough, and since I've grown up no one really wants to take the 4 hour trip to go to the jersey shore.

I bet it's really rough, judging by some POV's I've seen.

Return to General Theme Park Discussions