Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park Trip Reports Knotts Berry Farm Media Day, June 12, 2014

Knotts Berry Farm Media Day, June 12, 2014

Visited a theme park and have a wild time?!? Post your trip report here and tell us all about it!

jayman Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 3,115.00 Points

WELLL HOWDY !!!!!!!!!

Jayman here , and before i say anything else "KNOTTS IS MAKING A COMEBACK !"
there i said it.

On Thursday oscar and myself enjoyed the privilege of accepting Knotts' invitation to attend media day 2014. We were not dissapointed. Oscar took most of the important pictures with his fancy pants camera, so I'm hoping he'll post those, but I must say I haven't been this excited about Knotts since Ghostrider opened.

First off was Camp Snoopy. Already a very well designed play area for the shortys new management saw fit to make it even better. It originally opened in 1984 and was a huge success for years, but they really did a good job updating it. I was amazed at how much work went into making the area actually seem like a camp in the sierras. New pavement was added to suggest more of a natural feel underfoot and the landscaping was awesome. New rides were added, and it looked like a brand new place. If you have children and are in the area I highly reccomend it, if you don't have kids but you find yourself in knotts for other reasons, check it out .

Now onto what I'd been looking foreward to for years.. love for the mine ride. I'd get carried away if i were to go on about my personal sentiments regarding this attraction. It means alot to everyone in the greater los angeles area, and for good reason. It opened a full 7 years before disneys pirates of the Caribbean and inspired many of walt disneys ideas for his own park. even before rennovation it maintained it's charm well, but was well overdue for a makeover.

When we walked up to the Calico Mine mountain it was obvious that attention had been paid to it. It had a "weathered" look about it, but not a worn out look. A lot of attention went towards making it look authentic without making it too "shiny". To this rabid fan of "the real Knotts" it seems like Cedar Fair, and particularly the present Knotts management, are focusing on the fact that Knotts is a THEME park, and not just another amusement park in the chain.

After speeches by local dignitaries and a very very touching and sincere introduction by Garner Holt, a short show involving a dirty, crusty miner opened the Calico Mine Ride after it's half year renovation. We were not dissapointed.

I'll admit I'm biased, ive been visiting Knotts since the early 70's, but most agree that the Calico Mine is one of the most important dark rides in the industry. What Garner Holt did to it is nothing short of amazing. Old scenes were fixed up and new scenes were added. The animatronic miners were convincing and lighting was improved. If you've ridden it before... prepare to be overjoyed! If you haven't prepare to be impressed by the best of the best.

After our ride we enjoyed ERT on the log ride. As you know this log ride is THE log ride that all others aspire to be . Again, I cant offer enough praise to Garner Holt for his work. One can tell that he loves Knott's Berry Farm.

Then it was time for "a day at Knott's"...

Ghostrider .... Ghostrider .. Ghostrider.. so much controversy. It's rough enough still, but it's running great. Too bad about that mid course brake, but it still delivers what one wants from a world class CCI wooden roller coaster. Silver Bullet is full of great elements and a well kept specimen of a B&M suspended. Xcellerator was in great form, both Oscar and myself feel as if it was running better than it had for awhile.

Then there was the overall atmosphere in Ghost Town. A drunken cowboy roamed the streets as well as other characters (someday they may dare have an indian in there again). The Calico Saloon had a very good show, and old employees were more than happy to chat about Knott's history. It really did have a focus on theme that was much desired by locals and fans in general.

Enough said .. visit Knott's if you can. It's worth your while again... I'll post pictures soon.

TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 738.00 Points
Bank: 111,265.11 Points
I went to Magic Mountain and Knotts last November for the first time in 5 years. I knew immediately after that trip that we had to go back every year :)

mkingy User avatar

Points on hand: 28,053.00 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points

Points on hand: 13,491.00 Points
After looking at Calico's photos, I just felt "Knott's something! Ghost Town is a full of joy!" 8-)
-- I was happy to be with NL1 - [:')] --

TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 738.00 Points
Bank: 111,265.11 Points
^ Agreed!, I didn't really get the whole Ghost Town atmosphere in November, but I will next time!

Return to Theme Park Trip Reports