Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park News & Construction! Thunderbolt's Towering Start Nearly Complete

Thunderbolt's Towering Start Nearly Complete

Theme Park Construction And News Forum

TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 738.00 Points
Bank: 111,265.11 Points
The new Thunderbolt in Coney Island is rising quickly, with track being applied to the vertical lift and first drop. Seen above, crews have made quick work of the tower, forever changing the landscape of Coney Island.

The rest of the layout should be put in place equally fast, with elements such as a large vertical loop and many air-time hills still to come. When the park originally announced a Memorial Day opening for the new Thunderbolt I was doubtful, and while meeting that will still be an immense challenge their progress has certainly been fast thus far!

Stay tuned to the Wonder World Web for updated photos of the Thunderbolt going up, and the official Luna Park feed as well.
Source

Points on hand: 10,012.00 Points
This ride is going to be heavily underestimated. Looks so awesome.

mkingy User avatar

Points on hand: 28,048.00 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points
Yeah looks like an interesting ride - the 3D mockups they did were pretty crappy haha but the whole out and back looper is a cool twist.
Coaster Count - 198
France 2019 Mini Trip Report

TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Yea, hope its smooth, but judging by that lift hill track, maybe not :P

Points on hand: 1,401.00 Points

GerstlCrazy wrote:
This ride is going to be heavily underestimated. Looks so awesome.

You've been on a Zamperla coaster before, right?

Points on hand: 13,491.00 Points
As the crane arm says superior, this is going to be a rising hope for Coney Island! Should be so! :D
-- I was happy to be with NL1 - [:')] --

TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Update!
Check out this fantastic aerial view of the new Thunderbolt roller coaster in Coney Island! The ride appears to be just about complete - there is one section of track still on the ground though it's hard to tell in this image just where it goes. The Thunderbolt is supposed to open on Memorial Day weekend, less than a week from now - which means a very quick turnaround time for testing if that works out! On a side note, anyone have any idea what's up with that piece of orange track near the tree on the right side of the photo? Did they just construct the track without it? Did they cut corners?
Back on the ground, Luna Park has shared some great shots of the trackwork as it went up, showing off the curves and inversions that the Thunderbolt contains. Crews also appear to be getting ready to install the giant Thunderbolt sign to the side of the lift/drop structure.

Everyone's pretty excited about the new roller coaster, even New York Magazine created an infographic on the ride! The ride is a unique design from Zamperla, and I know I can't wait to check it out and see how the Thunderbolt rides.
Source

mkingy User avatar

Looks decent, the shaping seems about right so hopefully it'll ride smooth and be awesome :D
Coaster Count - 198
France 2019 Mini Trip Report

Points on hand: 9,697.00 Points
This look SO cool and weird. I'll be riding it in the middle of July, I'll be sure to put up a review or something for you guys if noone else has by then.

TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Yea, since I live within an hour, I'll finally make my first trip to Coney Island when this opens.

TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Update!
Thunderbolt made a surprise grand opening today, June 14.
The wait is over, the brand new Thunderbolt roller coaster is officially open in Coney Island! Riders were able to take a spin on the first custom designed coaster to open in decades in Coney Island starting this morning.

The Thunderbolt starts with a vertical lift and soon after that a vertical drop. The individual trains, seating three across with three rows, head through a large vertical loop, heartline rolls, air-time hills, and other tricks during the ride. The coaster represents a new style from manufacturer Zamperla and was designed to fit an extremely long, narrow plot of land.

To celebrate the opening,Luna Park has released a new point of view film of the ride:

Since the coaster just opened today there are only a few reviews coming in so far, but they all sound positive. I can't wait to head over to Coney Island to take a ride myself.
Source

TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Same, don't know when, but soon since I don't live too far away.

mkingy User avatar

Turbo User avatar

Points on hand: 5,506.00 Points
Bank: 21,857.68 Points

lol it never looked like a comfortable ride.
Coaster Count: 582 // Top Five: 1. Helix 2. Nemesis 3. Big Bad Wolf 4. Boulder Dash 5. Balder

Coasterkidmwm wrote:
4 G's to the taint was a bit much for me because I'm not a power bottom like Turbo

Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
In the mounted POV it looked like the side wheels weren't anywhere near in contact with the track lol. Too bad considering it looks like it has great air.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Yea that's unfortunate it's rough, because this looked like a great ride! It's probably still smooth to the Coney Island owners, cause the Cyclone is all they got to compare to it :P

Return to Theme Park News & Construction!