Board index Public Relations Contests 2014 CCNL2T [Results Page 6]

2014 CCNL2T [Results Page 6]

Only official CoasterCrazy.com Contests are posted here.

Turbo User avatar

Points on hand: 5,506.00 Points
Bank: 21,857.68 Points

I can help too if needed
Coaster Count: 582 // Top Five: 1. Helix 2. Nemesis 3. Big Bad Wolf 4. Boulder Dash 5. Balder

Coasterkidmwm wrote:
4 G's to the taint was a bit much for me because I'm not a power bottom like Turbo

hyyyper User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 9,207.00 Points
Ratings will be finished before the end of the week. The next round will probably start right after the weekend.

Thanks you all for your patience

hyyyper User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 9,207.00 Points
Okiedokie, the results are in!

First a couple of things:

-I am not yet that familiar with NL2 and its new building style. I find it hard to differentiate a good handbuild track from a mediocre FVD-d track, so I had to use gut feeling for most of the technical ratings. Thankfully, most of the tracks were smooth to very smooth :) . One thing that did bother me, is that people locked their packages. That way I cannot display radius and G-Force curves, which is something very handy to me.
-There were only a few people who supported the track in their tunnels. This is track just like the rest of the ride and should be supported as well.
-I had to disqualify 3 tracks. One for being 1 day too late, the other two had supports sticking out of the template.

So, first the scores:
scores.png
scores.png (7.31 KiB) Viewed 1689 times

Players ranked 1-8 will advance to round 2. The top 4 players from round 2 will advance to the finals.

Ratings

Ignition ?????? geek87de
T 8.75
The track is smooth for almost the entire ride, the banking on top of the immelman and cobra roll is not very fluent. This has to be more gradual or perhaps start the banking earlier. Supports are excellent. There??????s an awkward shape here and there, but the custom supports are good and adapted for each situation.
A 9.5
The ride has fantastic pacing. The wraparound immelman is a good starting element, which is followed by the double-zero-g-roll. Then it??????s quite a long trip to the next big element, the cobra roll. This is filled with a tunnel and an overbank, but be careful not to stretch the distance between elements. In the finale, the hidden in-line twist is a very cool surprise and perfect way to end the ride. G-forces are all within comfortable range, although there were some nice spots were you could have added some nice floater airtime.
O 10
The layout is pretty good. The choice of elements is refreshing (double zero-G) and the placement is excellent (roll just before the brakes). The ride makes excellent use of the terrain. There is also a good balance between twisty parts connecting the elements and inversions themselves. It is not an inversion machine, nor is it a boring ride with endless amounts of track between a couple of inversions. If you wanted it, you have made the track longer, adding a helix or small inversion, but the layout is very solid as it is.
??????
Golden Eagle ?????? SkyArrow
T 8.75
Very good trackwork. The ride is very smooth in every spot??????except the last bit. It seems it was fitted in with great haste. The odd shaping and banking make it feel and bit wobbly, maybe even uncomfortable as the speed is still quite high at that point. Most of the supports are excellent, there are one or two connections that were sloppy, but only very few. The ride is a tad oversupported, and by using thicker beams you could??????ve used even less supports. The tunnel was also unsupported.
A 9.5
The ride has incredible pacing. The steep drop plunges you right to the ground and the speed gained by that is kept throughout the entire ride. The pretzel loop, the corkscrew into the tunnel and rolls fitted perfectly into the ride. Everytime the ride seemed to become dull there was another quick inversion to keep the tension high. Going through the forest of support also made the speed seem to be even higher. G-forces are OK, only one or two small peaks in negative vertical and lateral direction, but nothing major.
O 8.75
Its great to see a lift-based intamin invert that has such a unique style. The steep drop was very nice and the pretzel element is an awesome element. Placing it under the lift sure is more compact, but the element is drawfed by the lift. Placing it at the edge of the layout would??????ve made a more imposing ??????skyline?????? of your ride. Like I said before, the inversions and placed in the layout with great care. The corkscrew going into the tunnel is great and the double-roll is a great finale.
??????
Phase 2 ?????? TheDarkStar
T 8.75
Trackwork is great. There??????s a bit of a wobble in the banking on the cobra roll, but otherwise the track is very smooth. Supports are ok, they are realistic and well built, but some parts could use a bit more customization, or adaption to that situation. Also, don??????t forget to support the tunneled sections.
A 6.5
The ride??????s pacing is solid. There are some slow sections in the ride where nothing seems to be happening, but for the most part, you??????re at a decent speed and you go through lots of exciting elements. There are a lot of tunnels, be careful not to overdo it. G??????s are very high. The vertical forces exceed 5.5 G at least 3 times, and the laterals go over 1 as well. The laterals would be uncomfortable, but the vertical G??????s could get painful.
O 10
The layout is very good. It has a good combination between terrain hugging twisty-ness and old school inversions. The tunnels increase the fun, but be careful not to turn it into a darkride. But that??????s all I can tell you, as I??????m not sure how to improve on this layout.
??????
Streamline ?????? JetPulse
T 9.5
The trackwork is very good. There are no noticeable pumps or jerks. The supports are extremely silly, but the shapes are very similar to those on other intamin inverts, good on that. The tunneled track is supported as well, which is something others tend to forget.
A 8
The ride has good speed. The roll between the launches is a nice touch. The tunnels are placed on the right spots to surprise riders and there is lots of close-to-the-ground trackwork. The thing the ride lacked was diversity. There are just so many rolls in the track it get repetitive. Don??????t be afraid to add some more standard elements. G forces are in check apart from a lateral spike on the 2nd inversion. Vertical G??????s are powerful (in a good way) but it could??????ve used a pop of (floater) airtime.
O 7.5
I loved the layout itself, but the choice of element was not as best as it could??????ve been. The roll between the first and second launch is a great feature, and the second inversion works good as post-launch element. The rest of the layout is very twisty but it relies too much on the roll after roll after roll kind of thing. If the elements would??????ve more diverse, the layout would be much more interesting. At the moment, it reminds me too much of colossus??????s finale in Thorpe park.
??????
Meadow Lark ?????? Bottom_Feeder_13
T 8
The shaping of the track is quite smooth, but some of the banking transitions seem sloppy. A couple of them stop abruptly instead of gradually easing off. Spreading out the banking rate would??????ve made the track ride much more comfortable. The support is very good. The support structures are realistic, although there are some weird shapes, it all looks alright. The tunnels are a concern. They are very long and deep, which would probably cost more to dig than to build the coaster itself.
A 7.5
The pacing of the ride is very good. The start is very slow after the lift, but once you??????re down the first tunnel, the speed is well maintained. The second half of the ride gets an extra boost and the last few sections are very thrilling. The G-forces are quite high. Vertical G??????s hit 5.5 at one point, and then -1.5 on another element. Airtime is good, but with Intamin invert restraints, not so much. -1 would??????ve been more than enough. Laterals also spike to 1.5 at several points.
O 9
The ride is a very unique invert. It uses the terrain very good and has some good twisting elements upon entering and exiting the tunnels. The first half has a good balance between inversions, terrain interaction and airtime, then there is a calm section before getting hurled along the waterside and into the finishing immelman-thing.
??????
Azula ?????? efproductions11
T 8.5
The track is very smooth everywhere except on the final dive loop. Not sure what happened there but there??????s a weird twist on the top of the element. Supports were pretty good. The supports are adapted for each situation instead of using prefabs everywhere. There are some connectors and beam pieces that don??????t line up and the track in the tunnels is not supported.
A 8.25
The ride??????s pacing is OK. It??????s not very fast, at least not the first part, but it is far from slow. The launch is a good start, but the next section is very high above the ground. Was this intentional? Placing the track lower to the ground would have make the ride feel much faster. It is only until after the loop that you get close to the ground again. And the last bit is pretty good as well. The helix is a tad slow, but the surprise corkscrew out of the tunnel and the dive loop into the building make sure the finale is thrilling. Forces are very good. High positive vertical G??????s, decent airtime and low laterals. Although the launch is a bit weak.
O 7.25
The layout borrows many elements from your standard B&M invert. In your case, you did add your own touch by adding a launch, airtime hill and dive loop as final element, but it still screams ??????B&M??????. I??????m not saying the layout it bad, because it rocks. There??????s a reason B&M is still king of the inverted coasters. But given the terrain and how you added your own things, I feel you could??????ve done much more to make this ride more original and take it one level higher than just a B&M with a few additions.
??????
Sandstorm ?????? bigjoe97
T 7.75
Trackwork is good, there are no notice bumps in the track and the banking is fluent. The supports are very random. They hold up the track more or less but there is no structure at all. The supports also go out of the template. The track of the tunnel is also unsupported.
A 6.00
The beginning is a bit slow. The ride seems to be just cruising a bit on the top level of the ride. The loop is nice, but could??????ve been faster. The ride seems to only start after the twist-half-loop, then the ride really picks up speed and this also makes the near-misses with the rest of the track and support much more exciting. The inversions are placed good and there is a good amount of variation in the elements, making the ride fun until the brake run. Vertical G??????s are extreme. The forces go over 5 G??????s at least 5 times, with a maximum of 5.7 G. This is extremely uncomfortable bordering on hazardous. The other G-forces are within reasonable limits.
O 9.5
The layout looks extremely good for a spaghetti-bowl(-ish) ride. The whole flow of the ride is unique as you are constantly riding at a different height and speed. The elements are very diverse and connect well to eachother. The downwards inline roll after the (sort of) immelman is very cool.
??????
Pyrite ?????? Bouncypip11
T 7.75
Track shaping is good. There are not noticeable pumps or abrupt twists. Supports are sub-par in some places. The track in the tunnels is not supported at all. In other places, supports intersect each other or do not line up neatly to the track, resulting in skewed or odd connectors. Some high-speed turns could use a diagonal support in addition to just the vertical pillar.
A 7
I loved it that the ride had an higher-than-average speed for a flyer on some sections. It makes you really feel like you??????re flying instead of floating. The speed in the last section was a tad too slow. The roll could??????ve been more snappy, or divided into 2 separate rolls.
The negative G??????s are very high. This is the force that pushes your body into the restraint. -2 G is a lot, and the G??????s on the bottom of the half loop is -3.6 G. This would be extremely uncomfortable. Laterals go to 1.5 on the roll before the mid-course brake, probably because the entry is curved. Twisting counterclockwise might also have helping reducing laterals.
O 8.5
The layout is very unique and the elements fit perfectly into the ride. The dive loop was a nice try, but it produces too many G??????s. Most of the rolls (and also half rolls) were placed in a good position (just after tunnels for surprise effect) and kept the ride interesting. The lay-down section was very good, I think the track could??????ve been more interesting if there was a second lay-down section. The majority of the ride??????s parts are flying sections.
??????
Finite ?????? PatrickCrowne
T 7.5
The track looks smooth at first glance. But in some portions, the change in radius is very odd. Due to gravity, you??????d expect radii to tighten as you go higher. But it seems like this has been reversed at some part of your ride, which makes for a jolty ride. The supports are good. There are one or two mismatched supports, which results in an awkward connector shape. Also the track in the tunnel is not supported.
A 6.75
The ride starts out great. I thought it odd to have the drop in the lay-down position, but it actually provides more of a surprise when you turn into flying position. The ride??????s pacing is a bit on the slow side. In my opinion, lowering some portions of the track would??????ve increased not only the speed but also the interaction with the terrain. That does not mean the ride is boring. The first sequence of elements is very good, it has a good flow to it. The ending was a bit dull, as I was hoping for a final corkscrew or anything to give it a little push before turning back into the brakes. The negative vertical G-forces are very high. They go above -2 G a couple of times and even hit -3.5 G at one point, this means that you are being pushed INTO your restraint with over 3 times your body weight, not comfortable at all. The lateral forces are good except for a spike while turning into the brake-run. The curvature and banking of the track counteract eachother.
O 7.75
The layout is not extremely out-of-the-box, but it has some nice original touches while not going too crazy. As said before, the lay-down first drop provides a good surprise when the train finally turns into flying. The combination of forward dive and loop is very good, the train just keeps on diving forward. I think you could??????ve made it even better by putting another half loop after the loop :) . The rest of the ride is a bit more standard. The tunnel is placed well, but it could be used even better if the rider position be different between the entrance and exit. The finale lacks at least one element. Something to give the adrenaline one final push before going into the brakes.
??????
Bob for a day ?????? afro85
T 6.75
Trackwork is alright, there are obvious smoothness issues. Some of the turns start quite directly, this makes the train swing back and forth a bit. It would??????ve been better if the turns and banking would be entered more gradually. Most of the supports are just standard, but the custom supports are really odd in some places. If you have to make your own supports, try to look a real-life examples to model your supports after.
A 7
The ride has good pacing for most of the time. The inversions are taken a bit too slow and would cause some discomfort because of the hangtime. But other than that, the train usually flies close the ground with a good amount of speed. The thing that I disliked was that the swinging is unlocked for a very short portion of the ride. I understand the cars need to be locked in order to do inversions, but the twisty track between the inversions is quite dull now that the cars are locked. G forces are alright, although the vertical G are higher than necessary at a few points.
O 6.5
It seems like the ride has a bit of an identity crisis. By adding the inversions and backwards portion, you obviously are adding unique elements to a suspended coaster, but they don??????t really fit into the ride. Having inversions in the first half means a huge portion of the track is non-swinging. There is nothing wrong with the layout and elements on their own, but it could have been a really great ride if the inversions were relocated and more of the ride would have swinging enabled.
??????
Catalytic Inverter ?????? plantoris
T 6.75
The track is smooth in most places. But your building style could be better. The track seems to do only one thing at a time. If you??????re coming out of a drop, you first level, then you start banking, and once the banking is done, only then do you start to turn. If you want to make your ride really fluent, try to do banking and twisting at the same time. Supports are sufficient for the most part, one support or two would be too flimsy. But the style is far from realistic. Try to look up some real rides to use as inspiration. Also, the track in the tunnel was not supported.
A 6.75
The ride starts out extremely boring. The first part feels like you??????re riding a monorail. Between the twist-half-loop would??????ve easily fitted a decent drop and an additional inversion. But once the rides starts, it actually pretty decent. The tunnel works good, as well as the half loop that you take as you exit the tunnel. The speed is kept until you get to the 3rd half loop, which is one too many. Instead of repeating the element, something else like a loop or corkscrew would??????ve made the ride more interesting. After the MCBR the ride doesn??????t do anything mildly surprising. It??????s a few hops and turns and then it??????s done. Finales have to be exciting, a final surge of adrenaline between hitting the brakes. In your case, adding a quick inversion or some fast twists would??????ve helped significantly. The vertical G??????s spike twice (over 5 Gs), other than that the Gs are in check.
O 6.5
The layout has some interesting bits, but as whole it is far from good. Mostly the start and finale need a lot of work. From the moment you clear the lift, you want to drop the train, speed it up and keep it going through element after element, either back to back or connected with twisty bits of track. This could continue until the end, creating a single rush of speed and adrenaline. The middle section was pretty OK, it could??????ve been more twisty and use some more diverse element, but it??????s a good start. Try to make the entire ride (lift to brakes) with that kind of intensity and your rides will be much better.
??????
Vornado ?????? highthrills2
T 2
Please don??????t get this wrong way, but the trackwork is pretty terrible. The track has many bumps and jerks in terms of shaping as well as banking. During building, try using the radius and G-force combs to ensure every transition is as smooth as possible. The best thing to do now is try to make as much tracks as possible. The more you do it, the more critical and handy you will become and your skills will improve with each coaster you build. The supports are too basic. The prefabs work for many situations, but some situations require custom supports. Also, the tunnel track was not supported. Another problem was the clearance check. There are a lot of terrain and support collisions that would kill riders quite easily.
A 8.25
The ride is very unique. It??????s really hard to pinpoint what exactly is happening and how you??????re orientated at a certain moment. Because of this disorientation, the speed of the ride almost becomes irrelevant. The ride could use one big ??????thrilling?????? element in order to spice things up, a big drop into a full inversion or overbank, something that would put some thrill into the wacky (in a good way) high speed acid trip. The G-forces are so high, I doubt anybody would survive it. The is partly because of the kinks in the track, but also because of the tight turns. Remember that this is a flying coaster and the acceleration forces show how hard you are being pushed into the seat or the restraint. +5 is doable, but in the negative direction -2 is already very uncomfortable. Laterals G??????s were high as well, try to make your banking as smooth as possible to reduce these forces.
O 9.25
The layout is very original. It looks like something that could be an Alton Towers Air 2.0 if B&M hadn??????t decided they want to put a pretzel loop in every flying coaster. The ride has very quick transitions between flying and lay-down. Because these sections are short and well balanced, it enhances the ride tremendously. The ride does lack a real good and powerful inversion or signature element, the way it is now is awesome, but feels incomplete.
??????
Firefall ?????? craigster001
T 3
The trackwork was not very good. The shaping was alright in some places but it was far from smooth. A lot of the transistions are too quick for the banking to follow. This creates very quick and abrupt banking shifts. The drop after the MCBR is so tight, the cars actually collide! The supports are quite weird. Most of them are structurally sound, but the shape it odd. Some supports connect to nothing or have an odd choice of beam type. The MCBR support structure looks very ugly, I??????m not sure what you wanted to do with it, but it couldn??????t be more different from the rest of the ride.
A 7
The ride is very fast overall. The start is ok, although the first inversion could use a bit more speed. After that the train picks up tons of speed and the section up to the MCBR is spectacular. Unfortunately, then the MCBR happens were the train slows down a lot. The speed is picked up eventually, but the brake section almost pauses the ride. The G forces are really high. The positive vertical G??????s hit 5 G at one point and the laterals almost hit 2 Gs.
O 6.75
The layout is quite good, but there are some points that need improvement. The starting launch and the terrain-hugging are very good. There are also a good amount of inversions, but they are all (heartline) rolls. In order to add more variation to your ride, adding a loop, corkscrew or another signature element would??????ve made the ride less repetitive. The MCBR and its drop could use some work as well. Raising the MCBR gives the train a lower entrance speed, meaning you have to brake less, and once the train drops backs out of the MCBR, all that speed is gained. Like I said before, the drop out of the MCBR is way too tight and will make everybody instant legless.

??????
The Fly ?????? purplechicken
T 6
The ride is far from smooth. You can really see the track snap from one direction to another in some spot. As your package is locked I cannot look at the radius graph, but I suggest looking into that to make sure there are no sudden changes in the radius. Supports are good. The ride is a bit oversupported, but only slightly. Also, the track in the tunnel is not supported. The train has a collision with a tree before the roll that connects to the pretzel loop.
A 3
The ride starts out great. The downhill roll is a great first element, and the overbank is done well. The other inversions are good as well, the ride does not have a dull moment. Until you turn into lay-down position. The ride changes completely from kick-ass flying coaster to a boring lay-down ride that suddenly stops with inversions, has lower speed and totally kills the ride. The G-forces are off the charts. At the positions where the track has a pump, but also on other sections. During the flying-portions, the negative acceleration G is the one that pushes you into your restraint and should remain low.
O 6.25
The first half of the ride is fantastic. You have taken the typical B&M recipe and added tons of new and original stuff to it. This really spices up the ride and makes it a very thrilling ride. Placing the rolls on an incline just after a turn really helps connecting the various elements. Unfortunately, you then have the lay-down section which is basically slowly riding into a brake-run. It adds nothing to the ride, has no interesting features and totally brings down your score. Lay-down sections are perfectly fine to build, but keep um short and do something interesting with in, like Vekoma does on their Flying Dutchman layouts.
??????
Black Forest Express ?????? rct800
T 4.5
The track needs a lot of work. Overall it??????s fairly smooth, but the building style is very rollercoaster-tycoon-ish. There are no lead-ins to the corners and the turns are connected by almost straight sections. Creating more swooping turns and blending them into each other will make a more fluent experience. Then there is the swinging. This is extremely hard to control. For a car to swing sideways, you need a lateral force. This force comes from speed and turn radius. For each turn, the force has to increase and then decrease exactly 1 time. If the force starts to fluctuate, so will the swinging of the car become unstable. Gradually making a turn go from wide to tight and back to wide again could also help making the swinging more fluent. The supports are ok, but they could??????ve used a bit of creativity when it comes to combining supports or giving the ride a personal touch. In addition, one support was out the template, the train hit a tree just after the tunnel and the track in the tunnel was not supported.
A 6.5
The track has some exciting spots, but unfortunately, most of it is quite boring. The drop is the tunnel gathers some good speed, but this is lost immediately when you enter the high helix. The rest of the ride has more of this. Once you get some good speed going, you either brake the train or go into a high element which destroys the speed you just gained. It also doesn??????t help that the track is just turn after turn after turn, which a bit of drops and straights in between. In half the turns the train doesn??????t swing and in the other half the train swings violently from one side to another. The lift back to the station is also a buzzkill, once the ride is done, you want to get out, not wait another minute. Lift hills are good for building tension at the start of the ride, but shouldn??????t be placed at the end. G-forces are in check.
O 3
The layout uses the terrain well. There a good sections of track that stay close the ground. The layout itself is not that great. It does not hold any surprises and if the swinging issues would be sorted out it could??????ve been entertaining, it just doesn??????t do anything special. There are no big swooping drops, or insane twisting sections that make the train swing in just the right way. Adding special, unique or surprising elements (which don??????t have to be inversions) will make the ride stand out more, give it something characteristic instead of just a general suspended coaster. As mentioned before, the lift at the end is a bad idea. If you really need a second lift, place it halfway, like in the BigBadWolf.

Post July 5th, 2014, 2:48 am
TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 738.00 Points
Bank: 111,265.11 Points
Congrats to the contestants that are continuing and better luck next year to those who didn't make it!

Post July 5th, 2014, 4:29 am

Points on hand: 15,350.90 Points
What the hell was I worried about?
Anyway, I am ready to take a break from exceedingly compact design. Unless the next template would disallow it.
The ones who fell short, don't feel discouraged.

Post July 5th, 2014, 4:57 am
mkingy User avatar

Points on hand: 28,048.00 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points

Post July 5th, 2014, 10:27 am

Points on hand: 552.00 Points
Well, I'm really disappointed... :(

Guess I'll try harder next time.
Maybe I'm just too bad for CC.

Post July 5th, 2014, 10:31 am
Turbo User avatar

Points on hand: 5,506.00 Points
Bank: 21,857.68 Points

Man don't worry about it too much. The contestants that entered were of all expertise levels and the rating for these contests is quite harsh and exact. I think when I was just starting out on CC I entered a contest and didn't even finish.
Coaster Count: 582 // Top Five: 1. Helix 2. Nemesis 3. Big Bad Wolf 4. Boulder Dash 5. Balder

Coasterkidmwm wrote:
4 G's to the taint was a bit much for me because I'm not a power bottom like Turbo

Post July 5th, 2014, 11:04 am

Points on hand: 283.00 Points
Bank: 800.00 Points
Damn, supports sticking out XP oh well. That's what I get for cramming all my building into the last 2 days before the deadline.
6 out of every 10 Reese's Pieces are actually Reese's Fragments in disguise.

Post July 5th, 2014, 11:34 am
TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 738.00 Points
Bank: 111,265.11 Points
Everyone remember, these pro builders didn't start out as pros, they started out as beginners and worked their way up to being a pro builder. So the same would apply to new builders, keep building and eventually you will get better and become a pro builder!

Post July 5th, 2014, 1:18 pm
Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

Points on hand: 11,502.60 Points
Bank: 187,052.60 Points

rct800 wrote:
Well, I'm really disappointed... :(

Guess I'll try harder next time.
Maybe I'm just too bad for CC.

It was an excellent quality attempt but attention to detail is key when facing the competitors in the tournament. Sorry :(
Support Us! - Click Here To Donate $5 Monthly!
Paradox wrote:
No need to tell Oscar about the problems. He is magic.

Post July 5th, 2014, 3:41 pm

Points on hand: 2,153.00 Points
im surprised he liked my coaSter, i was out of my mind on pain meds and the ride i was going to turn in vanished so i came up with this wacky ride, was more of a concept then a real life ride but thanks for the advice, you should pm me and we should talk some, i have other rides i dont upload because i never feel like it XD

Post July 6th, 2014, 11:52 am

Points on hand: 1,083.00 Points
awesome :-) i really appreciate the good rating..and also thank you for your critics! i try to imrpove my work with every project...
quite excited now for the next round. I hope you give us the infos soon :-)

Previous

Return to Contests