Board index Public Relations Contests 2014 CCNL2T - Round 2

2014 CCNL2T - Round 2

Only official CoasterCrazy.com Contests are posted here.

Post August 10th, 2014, 6:56 am
afro85 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 81.00 Points
Bank: 26,937.70 Points

Post August 11th, 2014, 1:23 am
TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 738.00 Points
Bank: 111,265.11 Points
Bottom_Feeder_13 wrote:
Sorry about the double post but I wanted to save the first one as is.

- Revision of the track is so that track is frozen

Also the front page/ exchange time code is an hour ahead of the forum. This post was originally at midnight according to the forum but the exchange time says 1 am and so does the front page

Rules say before or ON August 10, so I think you are fine :)

Post August 11th, 2014, 7:40 am
afro85 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

What happen now for those who didn't receive the opponent's coaster? Will they pass directly to the finals?
Anyway...Good job everybody!

Post August 11th, 2014, 8:35 am
TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Don't quote me on this, but I think yes, you would advance by default if your opponent was a drop-out.

Post August 11th, 2014, 12:19 pm

Points on hand: 552.00 Points
Man, 2 out of 8 people didn't upload their track... what a shame actually.

Post August 11th, 2014, 12:49 pm

Points on hand: 3,436.00 Points
Bank: 1,275.00 Points
My PC's monitor broke pretty early on just after the round started. I haven't been able to get a replacement/new one so have been using my laptop since. It doesn't have NL2 though so I couldn't continue :(.

I didn't say that I wouldn't be able to continue before the deadline as I didn't want TheDarkStar to know that they were through anyway and not put any effort into their entry.

Anyway, good luck to everybody else who is still in the contest!

Post August 11th, 2014, 1:02 pm
TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Bouncypip11 wrote:
My PC's monitor broke pretty early on just after the round started. I haven't been able to get a replacement/new one so have been using my laptop since. It doesn't have NL2 though so I couldn't continue :(.

I didn't say that I wouldn't be able to continue before the deadline as I didn't want TheDarkStar to know that they were through anyway and not put any effort into their entry.

Ugh that's unfortunate, sorry that happened to you, there's always next year!

Post August 12th, 2014, 4:02 am
mkingy User avatar

Points on hand: 28,053.00 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points
Bouncypip11 wrote:

Unlucky man these things happen! Looking forward to seeing who progresses!
Coaster Count - 198
France 2019 Mini Trip Report

Post August 12th, 2014, 2:26 pm

Points on hand: 365.00 Points
Bouncypip11 wrote:

It's a real shame that you couldn't compete. Your creations are really cool, and it would have been nice to challenge you. I suppose I should thank you as well, but I don't want to be rude. :?

Post August 20th, 2014, 6:05 am

Points on hand: 365.00 Points

Post August 20th, 2014, 7:02 am
hyyyper User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 9,207.00 Points
When the ratings are finished :)
I'm about halfway through, so expect the final the start at the end of this month, or the start of the next.

Post August 26th, 2014, 1:49 am
hyyyper User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Yaaay the ratings are done!

Unfortunately, SkyArrow and TheDarkStar are disqualified for having supports poking through the template's fences.
Bouncypip11 and efproductions11 did not submit a track.

This gives the following results:

Pair 1
Afro85 - 9.17
geek87de - 9.17

Pair 2
PatrickCrowne - 6.83
SkyArrow - 7.33 (DQ)

Pair 3
Bouncypip11 - no track
TheDarkStar - 7.33 (DQ)

Pair 4
Bottom_Feeder_13 - 6.92
efproductions11 - no track

Since pair 3 has no winner, and pair 1 has a tie, both players from pair 1 will advance.

Finals players are: Afro85, geek87de, PatrickCrowne and Bottom_Feeder_13

The finals will likely start within 7 days. If you think you are unable to participate, please let me know so another player can take your place.

Here are the ratings:

Voltage ?????? TheDarkStar
Disqualified for having supports through fence
T 7
Trackwork is good. The track is smooth, although the banking is a bit wobbly at some points and the transitions between elements are not super-fluent. But those things are hardly noticeable in the overall properly shaped track. Supports are a bit weak, especially on the inverted sections. Keep in mind that 4d train are massively heavy and need strong supports.
A 8
This ride used the 4d aspect of the ride very good. In most elements (not all) the rotation, or position of the riders was done in such a way to provide either a flying or disorienting experience. Good thinking on setting the rotation to 0 at the MCBR, makes it easier to unload in an emergency. The helix was a bit underwhelming, it certainly missed the cool stuff that made the rest of the ride great. G-forces were ok, except on the half-roll into the helix, laterals in that place were too high.
O 7
Definitely a good layout with lots of nice elements. While you can clearly see some elements that are also featured in existing 4d rides, you added a lot of new or new-ish elements. Some of them fit perfectly into the ride (1st, corkscrew), others don??????t (helix). I have a feeling the ride could have been improved with more fine-tuning the rotations (in the half-half for instance) and using elements that are more easy to navigate with a rotating train.
??????
Sledgehammer ?????? geek87de
T 8.75
Trackwork is excellent, the track has no jolts and rides very smooth. The supports are good in the way that they will hold up the track without any problems, but they are very inconsistent, making it looks chaotic and amateuristic. If possible, try to go for a single style for the entire coaster.
A 9.25
The ride is fantastic. The rotating of the seats is very nicely done on most spots, but sometimes the rotation is very quick and not suitable or needed for the element. The first half is relatively mild, the flips are placed well but the ride does not make any sideways movements. Then after the loop (which would be cooler without the rotation) the twists arrive and the ride becomes one disorientating jumble (in a seriously good way). G-forces are in check, but they are on the limit. The fast rotation speed of the seats could be the cause for it. For 4D coasters, the speed does not have to be that high, the disorientating effects make the ride thrilling enough.
O 9.5
The overall layout is very good, as well as the placement of the elements. The ride builds up the tension by using ??????straight?????? elements first, and later going out of control with all sorts of twists and turns. The seat rotation is very good and fitting for most of the elements, but on the lift and loop they seem excessive. The loop is enjoyable enough with a fixed position.
??????
Ryu ?????? Afro85
T 8.25
Trackwork is good, the track is very smooth and has no pumps. The supports are of mixed quality. Some are very beautiful in addition to being functional, others are very weird, totally out of style with the rest of the ride.
A 9.25
The ride has good pacing. The proximity of the train to the ground and supports increases the feel of speed. The lights and theming also add to the whole experience. The rotations are well placed for the most part. The loop rotation is unnecessary, as that element would be more exciting with fixed seats. For the rest of the ride, the rotation creates a lot of disorientation, is a good way. The G-forces are within limits.
O 10
First of all, fantastic job on the reserve-placed train. It is like you have built two rides on a single track. The layout is very good, it has lot of elements that lend themselves well for rotatable seats. The odd elements in the layout were the first drop. It is started with a mild turn, while there are so many possibilities to create something fancy like a straight drop or a raven turn. The loop was also strange as it doesn??????t need rotation to be exciting. The rest of the elements, the corkscrew, half-half and half loops were executed well and the accompanying rotation was well executed.
??????
Tesseract ?????? SkyArrow
Disqualified for having supports through fence
T 7.75
Track is for the most part smooth, some of the banking transistions could be a bit more drawn out. Also a tiny flaw, the entrance to the final brakes is banked. Supports aren??????t that great. I don??????t believe they??????ll hold up the track at all locations and it is a weird mess of different styles without any coherence. I??????d take a second look at how coasters with such large trains are supported and try to mimic and expand on that style.
A 7
The ride seems to start out ok when it picks up speed going off the lift, but then it slow down a lot just before the real drop. The speed is then picked up again but it??????s a terrible buzzkill just before the first drop. The rest of the ride does have decent speed, but unfortunately the ride doesn??????t have a great rotation comb. In most elements, the rotation is pointless or it happens at the wrong time. Only just before the final helix and in the final turn I had the true disorienting feeling a 4D should have. G-forces are in check for the most part, laterals spike a few times, but nothing extreme.
O 7.25
Looking purely at the elements in the layout, the track seems very good. However, the rotation seems to ruin most of potential the layout has. By choosing the right location and right amount of rotation in each element can provide either a flying or disorienting sensation (sometimes both). In the roll before the last helix and in the turn before the brakes this is executed perfectly. It is a shame you weren??????t able to do so for the other elements.
??????
Flight of the Phoenix ?????? PatrickCrowne
T 4.5
Trackwork quality is average. The ride itself is fairly smooth, but there are some issues. The banking is wobbly in some places (after the first drop and during the Norwegian loop). Don??????t be afraid to set some of the banking nodes to strict. The ride also fails the clearance envelope test on many occasions. Lastly, the 2nd train is unable to move forward, stalling the entire ride. The shape of the supports is good and the style is consistent, however, they are too thin even for a regular B&M. Wing-riders need big columns because of the heavy train. Your supports would not last very long.
A 7.25
The ride has great pacing. The first drop kicks it off good, the twist is very well suited for a wing-rider. The zero-G and corkscrew are good as well as the unique elements of the bunnyhop and Norwegian loop. (It would??????ve been even better if I hadn??????t lost my arm on the norweigian loop). The hangtime inline twist is a good finale, but a little too slow. Placing the element on an incline would??????ve worked better. The hangtime will still be there because of the trim brake, but you??????ll accelerate a bit again, while keeps the ??????flow?????? of the ride going. Lateral G-forces are brutal on at least 3 spots, the other Gs are in check.
O 8.75
The layout is quite nice for a wing-rider. There are elements that are quite predictable (corkscrew, ZeroG and inline roll), but the drop, norweigian loop and bunny hop are quite unique to this coaster style, and they truly add a lot of originality to the ride. Like I said, the ride??????s layout is pretty solid as it is, but if you??????re looking for improvement, I??????d remove the standard elements, and make a wicked layout consisting of 100% unique elements.
??????
Kasha ?????? Bottom_Feeder_13
T 7.25
The trackwork is excellent, a very smooth ride. However, the rotation is terrible. It is so sudden and brutal in will turn your riders into mashed potatoes. The supports are almost perfect. The main portion of the ride has excellent supports, but the lift looks like it has been built in minecraft. I??????m not sure it is supposed to be theming but it is way oversupported and would have looked a lot better with thinner columns.
A 5.75
The ride has a lot of adrenaline. Partly because of the extreme rotation speeds but also due to the well-designed elements. It is too bad that the rotation is so terrible otherwise the ride would??????ve been phenomenal. The g-forces are extremely high. Going over 2 laterals and almost 2 negative vertical G??????s. And that is without the seats rotational G??????s.
O 7.75
If I would consider only the track layout itself, this ride would??????ve been near perfect. The first drop is amazing, there are tons of original elements, like the half-inverting loop, the downwards inline-twist and the first drop. You took advantage of the ability to spin the seats. However, then the rotation is extremely brutal, very unlike the quality of the rest of the ride. Real-life 4d coasters spin slow and they??????re already rough.

Post August 26th, 2014, 2:18 am

Points on hand: 6,539.00 Points
^With the ratings given for Sledgehammer and Ryu, that would put both coasters at 9.17 and result in a tie. I was mildly surprised at this as I rather preferred Sledgehammer.

Post August 26th, 2014, 2:25 am

Points on hand: 1,083.00 Points
yeah...
and lol about the ratings and comments. i dont wanna start a discussion now.

just for the info:
if u look at the support structure of real 4d Coasters, they are not consistent either. Sledgehammer hast many similarities to Eejanaika.
Last edited by geek87de on August 26th, 2014, 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post August 26th, 2014, 2:54 am
hyyyper User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Correct, I fixed it now. Thankfully both players were already in the finals 8-)

Post August 26th, 2014, 3:57 am

Points on hand: 6,539.00 Points

Post August 26th, 2014, 5:30 am
afro85 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Oh man, I couldn't be happier! I'm glad i had such a good opponent that really made me push my limits!!!

Post August 26th, 2014, 9:42 am
TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Congrats to all that are advancing, and good luck next time for all that did not!

Post August 26th, 2014, 10:44 am

Points on hand: 143.00 Points
Bank: 3,000.00 Points
Honestly that turned out better then I was expecting for the 8 days I had to throw it together, but in hindsight I probably could have toned down the spinning a bit. As for the finals, the hard drive on my computer just died and I may not be getting a windows machine to replace it so I may not be able to compete, I'll post again when I know for sure.
RIP
Log Jammer, SFMM
1971-2011
Originally posted by richie5126
T: all newtons on this site are smooth so this must be high.

Post August 26th, 2014, 11:02 am
TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Post August 26th, 2014, 11:20 am

^ Building the ride in 8 days wasn't the computer's fault, I was just on a trip with only an iPad for two and a half weeks and in the middle of the building period and I decided to restart my coaster after I got back. The hard drive failure was pretty sudden, it just crashed on Satuday and then when I tried to turn it on again on Sunday it just wouldn't boot, it will go through the BIOS screen but it then registers an I/O error and says it can't read the hard drive. Over all I'm pretty bummed as I was planning on keeping it as an NL computer and getting something a 13 inch MacBook Pro to carry around instead of it.
RIP
Log Jammer, SFMM
1971-2011

Post August 26th, 2014, 11:41 am
TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Post August 26th, 2014, 11:49 am

Points on hand: 15,383.90 Points
I pretty much stopped caring about the contest and wanted to do my own things. I was just tired of updating and the supports just got confusing.
If the round 3 template is at least as hard, maybe I will be thankful of getting DQed?

Post August 28th, 2014, 9:35 pm

Okay, just bought a new macbook pro so I'm out for the next round, good luck to the other three and whoever takes my spot.
RIP
Log Jammer, SFMM
1971-2011

Previous

Return to Contests