Board index Public Relations Contests 2014 CCNL2T - Final

2014 CCNL2T - Final

Only official CoasterCrazy.com Contests are posted here.

Post October 9th, 2014, 3:45 am
mkingy User avatar

Points on hand: 28,053.00 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points
hyyyper wrote:
You can always upload your track, highthrills2, the templates for the tournament are free to use if you need a challenge. I won't rate it though :P . I was kinda hoping TheDarkStar would submit his track.

Oh well, gives me more time to prepare the coasterdraft.

Coasterdraft! :D
Coaster Count - 198
France 2019 Mini Trip Report

Post October 9th, 2014, 12:47 pm

Points on hand: 4,657.00 Points
Bank: 6,667.00 Points
mkingy wrote:
hyyyper wrote:
You can always upload your track, highthrills2, the templates for the tournament are free to use if you need a challenge. I won't rate it though :P . I was kinda hoping TheDarkStar would submit his track.

Oh well, gives me more time to prepare the coasterdraft.

Coasterdraft! :D

My favorite contest we have.
What are these for?

Post October 18th, 2014, 11:28 pm

Points on hand: 864.00 Points

Post October 19th, 2014, 12:17 am
hyyyper User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 9,207.00 Points
Ratings are almost done. However, since it's Halloween, I'm either working or sleeping at the moment, so progress is slower than I had hoped.

Post October 21st, 2014, 9:50 am
TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 738.00 Points
Bank: 111,265.11 Points
Can't wait to see who wins!
As always, thanks hyyyper for doing this!

Post October 21st, 2014, 2:12 pm
hyyyper User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 9,207.00 Points
Alright, here are the scores:

2014finals.png
2014finals.png (4.5 KiB) Viewed 2375 times

Congrats to SkyArrow and a big thanks to everybody who participated, I hope you had a good time 8-)

Finals ratings in full:

SkyArrow - X-Beast
T 5.25
Trackwork is excellent. Throughout the ride, the coaster is very smooth and the track is shaped in such a way to get the best combination of speed and forces through most of the elements. Supports need a lot of work. It??????s a long coaster, I give you that, but there are numerous places where there are unnecessary supports that should be deleted, high-G turns that need additional support, supports poking through tunnels below and crossovers without any supports.
A 9.25
The ride starts out with a smallish first drop. However, the train quickly dips a few times more and you??????re running on top speed. The first section (until the MCBR) has many drawn-out hills. However, the first combination of banking tricks and curved up- and downhill sections as well as double-ups and down make the section very thrilling. This could have been even better if more scenery, tunnels or other forms of near misses were placed. After the MCBR is a short section connecting to the 2nd lift hill. While there is a nice drop in this section, the rest is very pointless. It would??????ve been better to somehow combine the MCBR and the lift. Now the train comes to a standstill twice in a short period, killing of a large portion of the gathered adrenaline. Thankfully, the figure-8 beast inspired helix gives the ride a finale with a punch, unfortunately, the insane pacing of the first half is not reached again as the high sections make the train lose too much speed.
The forces are fantastic, there is so much airtime and laterals, even combinations of both. The forces really go to the limit, but never over them. It??????s not perfect, but pretty damn close to it.
O 8.75
The first half of the ride is extremely good. The ride doesn??????t drop you straight to the low point, but spreads it out over a few dips. The stretched out hills are being kept exciting by adding curvature and (something opposite) banking. The finale is also very cool, the angled figure-8 and helix certainly make for an ending with a blast. Like mentioned before, the section between MCBR and 2nd lift is kind of a downer with little thrill happing between two slow spots. It would??????ve been better to either connect the MCBR and the lift, or create a longer and more thrilling section between the two.
??????
Afro85 ?????? Ghost of a Chance
T 4
The track is all right for the majority of the ride. But there are a lot of small bits of track that have kinks in them. This usually occurs after a lift or MCBR. Try to use the radius comb in the editor to make sure you gradually go from one radius to another. The supports are terrible. I know the coaster is way too long to custom support, but there are a few simple fixes that would??????ve given you decent supports. The supports do not have any wide supports on turns that need them. There are autogenerated supports that do not serve a function and should be deleted. The cross-overs do not have any kind of additional support and in many places, the catwalk and handrail are missing. Even if that last one was intentional, try explaining that to the maintenance crews.
A 5.75
The first half of the ride starts out quite slow. The curvature of the hills and turns is too large to make it thrilling. At a certain point the speed does increase and you dive down all the way to the water. However, the element over the water is so long and so constant, even the amount of scenery can??????t really spice it up. After the MCBR the speed quickly picks up and gives some good and varied section of track before the second lift. The section between the 2nd lift and 2nd MCBR is again lacking thrill. There are some nice hills and some curves, but the only thing really exciting was again the drop towards the water. The double helix after the 2nd MCBR is a nice idea, but the highest point of the figure is too high, decreasing the speed of the train and removing the feel of a double helix. Lowering the track would??????ve given you a great thrilling element, instead of two slightly cool helices. The final section has some turns that are quite wide, but there are also more quick transistions and some good banked turns and high speed. So while it??????s not perfect, it a lot more thrilling than some other sections of the ride.
The G-forces are not that great. The vertical G??????s are way too high for a wooden coaster. Some steel coasters don??????t hit 4 G. The airtime on the other hand is spot on. A great mix of floater and ejector on almost every hill. The laterals are non-existent, which would be great on a steel coaster. On a woodie however, you need laterals, it??????s that gives those ride the out of control feeling.
O 7
The ride has some good scenery, although sometimes a bit out of place or inchoherent, it definitely adds to the ride. The headlight is amazing for such a simple addition it is. That said, I believe you should have paid more attention to the ride itself instead of the theming. It can do only do so much. The main thing that I noticed from the ride is that you played it safe. There are no real innovative elements, no banking tricks or original combinations of elements. The best elements of the ride came from existing rides or by using the terrain to your advantage. It seems that most of the track is built to get the train from one element to another instead of integrating every single element into a layout that is 100 % thrilling from drop to brakes.
??????
PatrickCrowne ?????? Monster
T 6.5
The coaster??????s trackwork was very good. The entire ride was very smooth and there are no jerks or pumps. The supports are far from good. The lift hill structure is a nice touch, but throughout the ride there are unsupported crossovers, beams that hang purposeless in the air and turns that lack wide supports.
A 5.25
The first section of the ride start with a huge drop which immediately gets the adrenaline flowing. The rest of the section is a mix of twisting hills and tunnels. The MCBR comes unexpected and the train is through it before you know it. The next section is less sensational. The first couple of hills are very drawn out, so even though the speed is high, it feels as if the train is going much slower. Also, almost all the hills are banked on top, which really gets repetitive after the first few. The set of helices that follow are much better. The tight spacing and interaction between the layers of track make this part very thrilling. The part after the 2nd MCBR is the weakest of the coaster. It is all drawn out banked hills and large turns, with the single purpose of covering as much ground as possible to get into the final brakes. There is no thrill, no intensity, just coasting and riding it out.
The forces could be better. Vertical G??????s are too high in a lot of spots. 4 G is high for steel coaster, and not done for woodies. The airtime is on the strong side, which a few spikes that would be painful. Laterals are strange, as the first section has plenty of good laterals. Then they suddenly disappear and only return (way too high) on spots that are badly designed.
O 5.25
The layout is a strange one. There is no single style that defines the coaster. Instead there are sections with different building styles and elements. The first section is by far the best. The hills are sharp and there are some good twists just before the MCBR. The next section is less good. The banked hills lose their charm and the hills are too drawn out to provide thrill. The helices before the 2nd MCBR are very good, the trackwork interaction and height differences makes it a real signature element. The final section is a bunch on boring dime in a dozen twists and shallow hills with the same appeal of a pre-lift section.
??????
Geek87de ?????? Claw
T 6
The trackwork is excellent, very smooth track without any noticeable jerks or pumps. Supports are not that good. Only one crossover has addition supports, and those are sloppy. The other crossover has random beams hanging and doing nothing. Also many turns need additional supports. Turns that have high speeds or laterals will not hold up long if there is no wood or steel to adsorb the load.
A 6.75
The ride starts with a great pre-lift section. The hills are a bit drawn out, but the added banking twistiness, and the high speed prevents it from being as boring as regular pre-lift sections. After the lift hill, the main portion of the ride starts. While the average speed is very high, the elements are very drawn out. The elements themselves look very good and would be extremely thrilling if they the hills would??????ve been steeper and the turns tighter. The 2nd half of the ride is doing a bit better. There are more twists and the elements are less drawn out. Speed is still very high, but the main factor that makes the 2nd half so good are the tunnels. The exits from the 2nd and 3rd tunnel are placed perfectly and give you a ??????holy shizzle?????? moment when you see the large drop following the tunnels.
The ride is a pure airtime monster. There is ejector airtime on almost every hill. The positive vertical forces are in check for a large portion of the ride, but there are also many spots where these are just too high for a wooden coaster. Only few elements have lateral forces, which makes a lots of the twists and turns rather boring.
O 7.75
The placement of the station and addition of the pre-lift gave the advantage of using a relatively short portion of the lake remaining. This means the ride??????s speed can be high without having to add a second lift hill. There a few nice elements, but there is nothing groundbreaking. Most of the elements are drawn out, but the shaping, banking and transitions are perfect. The ride just misses a few good signature elements to make it stand apart.

Post October 21st, 2014, 2:24 pm
afro85 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 81.00 Points
Bank: 26,937.70 Points
Extremely disappointed but well... that's how it is!! I will try to learn from my mistakes...
Congrats SkyArrow for winning!

Post October 21st, 2014, 3:02 pm
mkingy User avatar

Points on hand: 28,053.00 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points
Congrats all of you for getting to the final and submitting a ride - and congrats to Skyarrow for the win!
Coaster Count - 198
France 2019 Mini Trip Report

Post October 21st, 2014, 3:35 pm
afro85 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Is not the last place that bothers me but if my proudest work is such a crappy coaster it means that all my previous works can't be any better.... I just never realize that... That was brutal but it made open my eyes... I'll not have a chance to build anymore on NL for a long time so it's just sad to close on this negative note...

Post October 21st, 2014, 3:45 pm
Paradox User avatar

Points on hand: 7,113.00 Points
Bank: 10,198.60 Points
^I loved it and at least you got second place. It is a great achievement as many people didn't even make it past the first round.
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:
Just don't employ stupid people and you're golden.

That's like finding a Waffle House with no white trash in it.

Post October 21st, 2014, 3:57 pm
afro85 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Claw got second place mine was last and ,don't get me wrong, I was happy i did it to the finals but technically was judged as one of the worst of all tournament.... That says a lot!!!
Last edited by afro85 on October 24th, 2014, 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post October 21st, 2014, 4:09 pm

Points on hand: 1,083.00 Points
congrats skyarrow
nice job to all the other contestants too!

the overall ratings show the quality of the template :)

I just dont understand the ratings and the commentary / some of the arguments...
But i guess i never will in this contest
LOL

just an overall remark:
Build a 3000m coaster, auto support it... and then try to deal with the manual supporting panel in the editor. If you have an average computer or laptop, it is HELL.
Last edited by geek87de on October 22nd, 2014, 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post October 21st, 2014, 6:16 pm
TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Congrats to SkyArrow for winning, and afro, I thought yours was very good and original, not sure why it was rated so low though, but guess hyyyper explained himself well.

Post October 22nd, 2014, 5:15 pm

Points on hand: 15,383.90 Points
That feeling of being an anomaly still kinda lingers but I don't wanna appear ungrateful, so I guess we're cool.

The reason I didn't do anything with the supports is because of the insane lag that comes with building an unrealistically long wooden ride. I didn't care if that bumped me down.

Ironically, I was thinking about naming it 'The Champion' since I read somewhere that was The Beast's working title (don't remember where).

Post October 22nd, 2014, 8:51 pm
TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Post October 23rd, 2014, 6:53 pm

Points on hand: 204.00 Points
Bank: 3,034.00 Points
That final challenge was so long I zoned out on all the tracks and stopped paying attention XD They were all very good, but that challenge was entirely too long for my ADD >_<

Post October 24th, 2014, 12:24 am
afro85 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Was it a fantasy coaster challenge? was It a realistic template? I don't know...
In some cases we get down-rated for realistic aspects, in other cases it was fine...
SkyArrow had the fastest coaster with an average speed over 100km/h from drop to mcbr. Not very realistic and a bit rough but evidently it was the one the judge liked the most. Not everybody would think the same though. Just my opinion.

Post October 24th, 2014, 2:24 am

Points on hand: 2,153.00 Points
i honestly disagree witht the judge because the claw was my fav and probably the best one in the final in my words because i didn't zone out halfway through and it felt like the person had actually taken there time was smooth and was evenly paced,no offense to who ever came in first but i think claw should have one.

i do agree that this contest template was huge but it worked out in the end to see who could come in and deliver in that space

Post October 24th, 2014, 6:16 am

Points on hand: 15,383.90 Points
afro85 wrote:
with an average speed over 100km/h from drop to mcbr.

Just checked and it hits a little over 80 mph in a couple places, faster than Son of Beast. Can only imagine the resulting roughness if it was real.

Post October 24th, 2014, 6:30 am
TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Previous

Return to Contests