Board index Theme Park Discussions General Theme Park Discussions You know you're a coaster geek if...

You know you're a coaster geek if...

Discuss anything related to theme parks in general.

Post November 9th, 2014, 11:18 am
VF15 User avatar
News Writer
News Writer

Points on hand: 10,818.00 Points
I've seen this type of thread on some other coaster sites, and I really enjoy them, so I thought I'd start one here. I think you'll get the idea.

You know you're a coaster geek if...
...you play NoLimits.
...you get strange looks from ride ops who notice that you keep on marathoning a ride.
...you enjoy driving over bumpy roads because some bumps might give an airtime pop.
...you carry your season pass with you at all times, ever during the offseason.
...you often get mixed up with the terms "break" and "brake" when typing or writing something.
...you have ever put your hands up while watching a POV.
...during the offseason, you count down the exact number of days until Opening Day at your home park.

By the way, I am guilty of all of these ;).

Post November 9th, 2014, 11:20 am
TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 738.00 Points
Bank: 111,265.11 Points
... You keep a tally of how many times you've ridden a specific ride that season :D

Post November 9th, 2014, 11:25 am
Mr. Freeze User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 32.00 Points
Bank: 4,860.00 Points

Post November 9th, 2014, 11:28 am

Points on hand: 2,485.00 Points
-When you use a pencil/phone/hand etc to express a track layout and or custom layout.

TTD: I cannot count that high, Rode Bizarro at SFNE atleast 40 times this year.

Post November 9th, 2014, 11:28 am
TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

^^ I can :D
I have an exact list of TTD how many TTD rides I did per year, per visit lol.

Post November 9th, 2014, 11:48 am

Points on hand: 15,350.90 Points
I'm guilty of all these:
-you examine an empty flat space at your house (or someone else's) and imagine what kind of model roller coaster could go there
-you examine an empty plot of land and imagine what kind of roller coaster could be installed there
-you make all kinds of roller coaster references and enthusiast lingo/inside jokes in any short stories or fanfiction you write
-you introduce cryptic enthusiast lingo in normal everyday conversations
-you introduce cryptic enthusiast lingo on non-roller coaster related message boards and chats
-you wonder if heaven, nirvana, or whatever reward equivalent of your religion includes some sort of infinite theme park that makes Cedar Point look like a ghetto carnival that looks like something cool5 would post about
-Cedar Point tickets has become a running gag for "what degrading or embarrassing thing you would do for something."
-whenever a severe storm hits somewhere with a theme park, I have to ask "is (name of theme park the storm hit near) okay?"
-you take 3 or 4 2x2 Lego bricks, put them on end, and move them around with your hands in the path of a fictional roller coaster (or 1x2 for B&M coasters). That hobby has since been obsoleted by No Limits.
-the first thing you think of when your family gets a new 1080p TV: That would be good to use the HDMI cable to hook up my laptop for optimal NL2 viewing
-the first thing you think of when YouTube introduces 60fps videos: NL2 would look gorgeous with 60fps
-you talk about moving somewhere based on what theme park(s) your new home is near
-a roller coaster gets dismantled or a park closes and you actually cry
-you buy K'nex not because you wanna play with toys like a kid but because you think of it as an interactive physics and engineering lesson.
-you sit in the backseat of a car and you joke about getting more airtime than the front
-you watch 'The Demonator' episode of Drake and Josh and you wanted to know the specifics of the ride so you build your own interpretation of it in the simulator of your choice.

Post November 9th, 2014, 11:57 am
TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Post November 9th, 2014, 12:04 pm
Turbo User avatar

Points on hand: 5,506.00 Points
Bank: 21,857.68 Points

SkyArrow wrote:
infinite theme park that makes Cedar Point look like a ghetto carnival

I'm definitely guilty of this one lol
Coaster Count: 582 // Top Five: 1. Helix 2. Nemesis 3. Big Bad Wolf 4. Boulder Dash 5. Balder

Coasterkidmwm wrote:
4 G's to the taint was a bit much for me because I'm not a power bottom like Turbo

Post November 9th, 2014, 2:20 pm
VF15 User avatar
News Writer
News Writer

...when you see a coaster in a school textbook, you spend several minutes trying to identify it.
...you have ever made a long-distance trip just to get a kiddie coaster credit.

Post November 9th, 2014, 2:50 pm

Points on hand: 3,436.00 Points
Bank: 1,275.00 Points
VF15 wrote:
...when you see a coaster in a school textbook, you spend several minutes trying to identify it.

*recognise it instantly

Post November 9th, 2014, 3:05 pm
Turbo User avatar

Points on hand: 5,506.00 Points
Bank: 21,857.68 Points

VF15 wrote:
you have ever made a long-distance trip just to get a kiddie coaster credit.

6 hour drive to Portland Oregon to grab one at Enchanted Forest. I am absolutely guilty of this one.
Coaster Count: 582 // Top Five: 1. Helix 2. Nemesis 3. Big Bad Wolf 4. Boulder Dash 5. Balder

Coasterkidmwm wrote:
4 G's to the taint was a bit much for me because I'm not a power bottom like Turbo

Post November 9th, 2014, 5:57 pm

Points on hand: 5,149.54 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points

My old phone case used to be this awesome picture of Stormrunner I took :lol:

Post November 9th, 2014, 6:06 pm

Points on hand: 4,800.70 Points

Xcelerator makes a breif appearance in my geometry textbook :)

SkyArrow wrote:
...-you watch 'The Demonator' episode of Drake and Josh and you wanted to know the specifics of the ride so you build your own interpretation of it in the simulator of your choice.

Speaking of the Demonator I remember a long time ago in elementary school we had to make a rollercoaster as a project (which is ironic if you think about it :lol: ) and our group made the most insane, unrealistic coaster ever haha. You literally had to wear oxygen masks to ride that thing and we named it the Demonator.
It's been a long time
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCErEzTkqrD55UEiIiiKsKmg

Post November 9th, 2014, 6:53 pm

Coaster Hero wrote:
Speaking of the Demonator I remember a long time ago in elementary school we had to make a rollercoaster as a project (which is ironic if you think about it :lol: ) and our group made the most insane, unrealistic coaster ever haha..

On a simulation program, actual model, or did you just have to make it up in your imagination and then write about it?

Some more I thought of, not necessarily having been guilty of them:
-It bothers you when roller coasters in cartoons don't behave realistically, like the Barrel Roll and Tooth Chipper on The Simpsons, or that one from the animated Sabrina series that went in a bunch of loops and the suspicious lack of physics.
-You think of railroads and locomotives as 'extremely long and linear powered side friction coasters with huge, bulky trains'
-You get model train cars not to build model train sets, but to assist in building model coasters
-You fall in love just so you can get on the roller coaster of love, and then you count it as a credit.
-You draw random scribbles, and then try to make a layout in No Limits 2 based on the random scribble you drew. That actually sounds like an idea for a contest.
-After doing a walk of shame, your sole motivation to lose weight is so you can slim down enough to ride that ride. Otherwise you would be okay with being fat.
-You're constantly scouring the house, hobby shops, toy stores, and art supply stores for materials to build a model coaster
-You think any K'nex set that isn't a roller coaster set is boring

Post November 9th, 2014, 6:55 pm

SkyArrow wrote:
-You draw random scribbles, and then try to make a layout in No Limits 2 based on the random scribble you drew. That actually sounds like an idea for a contest.

I'm not alone... there's another like me! :lol:

Post November 9th, 2014, 6:59 pm

Points on hand: 7,295.00 Points
RCT3rox wrote:
SkyArrow wrote:

I'm not alone... there's another like me! :lol:

I'm not alone too

Post November 9th, 2014, 7:07 pm

Points on hand: 35.00 Points
Bank: 4,336.00 Points
Youve spent more money on season passes than food in your lifetime..

Post November 9th, 2014, 7:11 pm

Points on hand: 4,800.70 Points

SkyArrow wrote:
Coaster Hero wrote:
Speaking of the Demonator I remember a long time ago in elementary school we had to make a rollercoaster as a project (which is ironic if you think about it :lol: ) and our group made the most insane, unrealistic coaster ever haha..

On a simulation program, actual model, or did you just have to make it up in your imagination and then write about it?

We had to draw it and describe it on a poster :D
It's been a long time
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCErEzTkqrD55UEiIiiKsKmg

Post November 11th, 2014, 12:44 pm
VF15 User avatar
News Writer
News Writer

...you have ever called a park to ask if a coaster is open on a certain day.
...when you see a sine wave in a math class, it makes you think about airtime hills.

Post November 11th, 2014, 2:59 pm

"You know, I could probably fit about 7 coasters in a NL2 park without a major frame rate drop, since Kennywood has 7 and doesn't lag"
-my smart brain

Post November 14th, 2014, 12:14 pm
VF15 User avatar
News Writer
News Writer

...you enjoy takeoff on a plane because they have a bit of G-force.
...you know the brace position for rough Arrows and Vekomas.

Post November 14th, 2014, 12:48 pm

-your favorite levels from the Donkey Kong Country games are the mine cart and roller coaster stages
-the above levels bother you because the carts completely ignore gravity
-you use student loan/scholarship money to go on park hopping trips
-you've ridden more coasters than Robb Alvey
-3 years pass without another major coaster and already it feels like waiting for Half Life 3

Post November 14th, 2014, 1:17 pm

Points on hand: 1,397.00 Points
... You're screaming very loud in a awesome coaster
... When you just have a conversation in a coaster

... You're getting annoyed because other people in line say wrong things about coasters.
Coaster Rider.

Post November 14th, 2014, 3:02 pm
Mr. Freeze User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 32.00 Points
Bank: 4,860.00 Points

Post November 15th, 2014, 6:29 pm

Points on hand: 204.00 Points
Bank: 3,034.00 Points
You imagine what it would be like to ride tangled garden hoses

You look at tall buildings and visualize their height compared to roller coasters

you detour to a park every time you see a sign for one on a road trip. Even if there's four feet of snow on the ground

Next

Return to General Theme Park Discussions