Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park News & Construction! World's Tallest Drop Tower Announced at Skyplex for 2016!

World's Tallest Drop Tower Announced at Skyplex for 2016!

Theme Park Construction And News Forum

TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 738.00 Points
Bank: 111,265.11 Points
img-World-s-tallest-roller-coaster-to-be-center-of-tourist-complex.jpg

Breaking News!

Skyplex in Orlando will be home soon to the World's Tallest Drop Tower!. According to the latest press release from Skyplex, the drop tower will be called Skyfall and will be 450 FT tall! The current record for the tallest drop tower in the world is Zumanjaro: Drop of Doom at Six Flags Great Adventure which drops riders 415 feet. Are you rxcited for this ride? Or is it too soon for Zumanjaro to lose its record?

Here is the Press Release/More info...

The world's tallest drop tower is coming to International Drive as part of the new SkyPlex attraction.

WORLD'S TALLEST ROLLER COASTER OFFICIALLY COMING TO I-DRIVE

It's official! The world's tallest roller coaster is coming to central Florida.
MORE
The 570-foot-tall SkyPlex attraction will open in 2017 and will contain both the world's tallest roller coaster, Skyscraper, and world's tallest drop tower, Skyfall.

Skyfall will drop riders from 450 feet in the air, which is more than twice as tall as Universal Orlando's Dr. Doom's Fear Fall and the Tower of Terror at Disney's Hollywood Studios.

Skyfall will be the "big brother" of the current record holder for tallest drop tower, Zumanjaro: Drop of Doom, at Six Flags Great Adventure in Jackson Township, New Jersey. Zumanjaro stands at 415 feet tall and drops riders at 90 mph.

SkyPlex will also have a 55-story glass elevator that will take guests to an observation deck.

"People will be whizzing past you, going up, they will be meandering up the tower and then they will be flying down the tower, so you will see the up and the down and really just it gives you a perspective of just how fast you are going," said SkyPlex developer Joshua Wallack.

SkyPlex will break ground in September and will be part of the changing skyline on I-Drive. The 400-foot Orlando Eye observation wheel is set to open this spring, and the world's tallest swing ride, Star Flyer, is set to open in 2016.

To alleviate parking concerns, Orange County commissioners unanimously approved rezoning for a 600-space parking garage in the lot of an old Walgreens at Sand Lake Road and International Drive. The lot will service the SkyPlex and Mango's Tropical Cafe.

Ground will be broken on the garage in 45 days.
credit wesh

Paradox User avatar

Points on hand: 7,113.00 Points
Bank: 10,198.60 Points
Well at least this time the world's tallest coaster and drop tower will run together.
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:
Just don't employ stupid people and you're golden.

That's like finding a Waffle House with no white trash in it.

Points on hand: 7,295.00 Points

Points on hand: 13,491.00 Points
Official Debut next year! High Five! :D
-- I was happy to be with NL1 - [:')] --

I just realized that it says 2016 TTD 03 to change it to 2017 due to Florida construction workers

Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
So is the tower going to go all the way up the tower and you have you enter from around 100ft up or will you enter from ground level?
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Mikey User avatar
Site Admin
Site Admin

Points on hand: 6,049.50 Points

Points on hand: 35.00 Points
Bank: 4,336.00 Points
So S&S is like killing all Intamin's birds with one stone.
Diamondback is Diamonbae.

Points on hand: 227.00 Points
Bank: 11,457.10 Points
???? Intamin is building this....
All hail your great Arrow Dynamics overlords.

Turbo User avatar

Points on hand: 5,506.00 Points
Bank: 21,857.68 Points

Last I checked it is S&S. Am I wrong?
Coaster Count: 582 // Top Five: 1. Helix 2. Nemesis 3. Big Bad Wolf 4. Boulder Dash 5. Balder

Coasterkidmwm wrote:
4 G's to the taint was a bit much for me because I'm not a power bottom like Turbo

Dammit. The drop tower will be Intamin, S&S make far better dropping rides. This is going to be a disaster, I can already tell.

Intamin is making the coaster too. S&S tower's don't go that high, and they are way less forceful.

Points on hand: 680.00 Points
Bank: 1,513.00 Points
Intamin drop towers, or at least 400+ ft ones are better than s&s.
s&s initially pulls you down faster than gravity, which is cool, but then controlls the speed on the way down. Intamin is true free-fall.
Or at least thats how the ones i've ridden are like.

CoasterGuy2000 wrote:
Intamin is making the coaster too. S&S tower's don't go that high, and they are way less forceful.

S&S is building the coaster... Not intamin.

TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Rickrollercoaster wrote:
CoasterGuy2000 wrote:

No in fact they are not. Intamin will provide all the hardware for the ride and build the drop tower, US Thrillrides will be making the tower and ride centerline is designing the coaster. S&S is not involved anymore.

CoasterGuy2000 wrote:
Rickrollercoaster wrote:
CoasterGuy2000 wrote:

No in fact they are not. Intamin will provide all the hardware for the ride and build the drop tower, US Thrillrides will be making the tower and ride centerline is designing the coaster. S&S is not involved anymore.

S&S is still very much involved, since you know, they are manufacturing the coaster...

No Intamin is, we don't know if S&S was ever involved or if manufacturers where switched at some.
robbalvey wrote:
WORLD'S TALLEST ROLLER COASTER *AND* DROP TOWER COMING TO ORLANDO!
Drop tower and roller coaster to be supplied by Intamin, one of the world's leading roller coaster manufacturers!

Ok, so let's just let that information sink in a little bit for a second....

WOW! "This project," as Joshua Wallack of Mango's said today at the International Drive Chamber of Commerce Luncheon "started as a parking garage for Mango's and has turned into something unbelievable!" And I agree! Every time I hear more about this project, it keeps getting more and more impressive! We'll get to Mango's in a little bit, but let me tell you what we know about the "Skyplex Orlando Tower" project from my conversations with Joshua and his father David today...

- The actual tower comes from US Thrill Rides and is their design and patent.
- The roller coaster, Skyscraper is being designed by Ride Centerline (Alan Schilke/Joe Draves) but built by Intamin
- S&S is not involved with the coaster
- The drop tower, SkyFall will be built by Intamin
- The drop ride will be 450 feet tall and will be flush against the inside of the tower facing outwards looking at the Skyscraper track.
- There are hints of yet-to-be-announced attractions and possibly even some improvements to the coaster than what we've seen already!
- New renderings should be coming soon
- Opening planned for 2017 with construction to start later this year

Why the hell would S&S Bail out? This was pretty much their design.
Last edited by Rickrollercoaster on February 15th, 2015, 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I have no Idea, they still are selling them on there site.

Points on hand: 680.00 Points
Bank: 1,513.00 Points
I think we can all agree its been a weird week for this tower :lol:
Alot of new and updated info, with some crazy record breaking news.

TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Rickrollercoaster wrote:

Intamin probably won a bid over them.

TTD03 wrote:
Rickrollercoaster wrote:

Intamin probably won a bid over them.

it cant be right I thoiughts its still on s&s website

Points on hand: 4,800.70 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points

Damn, does Orlando want the tallest everything? Next week they will announce another record breaker for all I know. This is insane! Im actually glad Intamin will be making the drop tower. As someone said above, they give you a real feeling of free-fall. Zumanjaro is freaking insane and this might be even better since it will actually run in sync with the ride. (Zumanjaro might start running synced with Kingda Ka, if the rumored net is added)
It's been a long time
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCErEzTkqrD55UEiIiiKsKmg

Coaster Hero wrote:
Damn, does Orlando want the tallest everything? Next week they will announce another record breaker for all I know. This is insane! Im actually glad Intamin will be making the drop tower. As someone said above, they give you a real feeling of free-fall. Zumanjaro is freaking insane and this might be even better since it will actually run in sync with the ride. (Zumanjaro might start running synced with Kingda Ka, if the rumored net is added)

yes we want all park records soon no mater what it takes im lucky I live so close but since its going to be intanim im guessing that the ride will open by 2020 now?

Next

Return to Theme Park News & Construction!