Board index Roller Coaster Games 3D Modeling Discussion How do I get my NL2 coaster into Sketchup?

How do I get my NL2 coaster into Sketchup?

Discuss anything related to 3D modeling from 3ds Max to Object Creator. Have a question? Get it answered here!

Post September 5th, 2014, 7:46 am
Blase Rhine User avatar

Points on hand: 30,499.00 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points

Hey everyone! I'm not sure if there is already a post about this but I created a thread on my first ever coaster that currently doesn't have a name. I was looking into some 3D modeling that i can use for the coaster and I have created very small items in sketchup however I get the measurements way off. So I was wondering on how I can get my coaster into the 3D program that way I can build around it. Thank you! Also please go check out my new coaster project titled NL2 unnamed B&M project in the Hard Hat Area and let me know your opinions! :)
Sometimes I dream of unicorns and oreos

Post September 5th, 2014, 11:01 am

Points on hand: 1,343.00 Points
Bank: 826.00 Points
There is an export spline script that you can try if you know how to do that. The only other way I can think of is to export it with the Construction Kit using NL1. That only works if you built the track with tools like Newton 2 and FVD++

Post September 5th, 2014, 11:22 am
Blase Rhine User avatar

Thank you for responding! I have no idea how to script. The coaster is built in Newton 2 and I don't have NL1 so I can't export it with the construction kit... right now I am building a station and I'm just going back and forth with sketchup and NL2 and trying to eyeball it... It's sort of working.

Post September 5th, 2014, 11:23 am

Points on hand: 92.00 Points
Bank: 1,341.05 Points
FVD++ allows the use of 3D export. Otherwise, you can't go from NL2 directly to Sketchup without taking a lot of steps.
Originally posted by GerstlCrazy
Cool! The name is Fly Over Rainforest?
I was under the impression the name was Green Coaster Goes Fast Goes High Has Clockwise Loop Has Straight Upside Down Four Seats Two On Each Side Fast Coaster?

Post September 5th, 2014, 11:32 am
Blase Rhine User avatar

I see... Alright well Is there a way to import NL2 into FVD++?

Points on hand: 2,253.00 Points
I would really like some help with this as well and thought I'd start a thread but then I found this one.

I know there's a way to get the coordinates of the track from the message box in the simulator, but I still don't know how to get those coordinates into sketchup. You guys are talking about fvd++ export. I tried to do it, but I couldn't figure out how it works. And I can't seem to find any tutorial on how to do it. I would really appreciate any help regarding this, because it seems much easier building around the track in sketchup instead of measuring and guessing where what goes. Especially when working with tunnels.

TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 738.00 Points
Bank: 111,265.11 Points
I have NL1 still, it's possible I can export for you blase if you want?

Post November 16th, 2014, 10:16 am

Ok, so I found a way to get my track into sketchup. First I followed this tutorial to get the coordinates of my track into a .txt file. Then I downloaded and installed this extension for sketchup. Then you just import the coordinates into sketchup with the plugin and voila! You still need to make the tubes for the track (if that's what you want) since this method only imports a single spine for the center track 'or' heartline and not the tube spines.

Post November 16th, 2014, 10:24 am

Points on hand: 4,689.00 Points
Bank: 1,372.00 Points
^It should be noted that that's only for NL2 Professional.

Post November 16th, 2014, 10:33 am

Projektion wrote:
^It should be noted that that's only for NL2 Professional.

This actually works for any of the two. This isn't dependent on the nl2 spline exporter (or whatever it's called).

Post February 18th, 2015, 2:40 pm

Points on hand: 930.00 Points

if all you are using it for is to build around there is a very simple way to do this using the light pattern creator. simply use the light pattern creator to create a box over the rails, then use an online converter to convert the .lwo file generated by the light pattern creator into a .3ds, which can be imported into sketchup. there's a tutorial somewhere
why are there so many side notes to posts?

Return to 3D Modeling Discussion