Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park News & Construction! Cyclone Stuck at Coney Island

Cyclone Stuck at Coney Island

Theme Park Construction And News Forum

Post March 29th, 2015, 1:50 pm
TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 738.00 Points
Bank: 111,265.11 Points
coneycyclone.jpg

As if the coaster season wasn't off to a rocky enough start at Kings Dominion or Carowinds, things got really bad at Luna Park in New York.

The legendary Coney Island Cyclone gave passengers a scare Sunday when it got stuck on its first public run of the season, forcing a number of riders to climb down the wooden structure on foot.

All the passengers - attending what were to have been leisurely festivities to mark the reopening of Luna Park for the season - appeared to have escaped the roller coaster unharmed. But some said the slow climb from high up on the open structure left them feeling shaken.

"It was terrifying, because I was up there and everything was spinning," Gabriella Centeno said after she reached solid ground. "I didn't know what to do."
Anna Dartany said the park staffers' assistance made climbing down possible.

"I'm scared of heights," she said, "but with their help I made it down. ... This was insane."
Angie Morris, brand manager at Luna Park, said the historic roller coaster had undergone tests over the past month ahead of Sunday's season opening. Such a problem hadn't occurred for a very long time, she said, although she declined to specify how long.

She said the Cyclone would be back up and running within a matter of hours.
Despite the less-than-summery temperatures, longtime fans had flocked to the roller coaster Sunday morning to celebrate the amusement park's reopening and to take advantage of free tickets being offered to the first 100 people who showed up to ride the wooden icon.
credit nbc news

Post March 29th, 2015, 2:10 pm
Paradox User avatar

Points on hand: 7,113.00 Points
Bank: 10,198.60 Points
TTD03 wrote:
escaped the roller coaster

"It was terrifying, because I was up there and everything was spinning."

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:
Just don't employ stupid people and you're golden.

That's like finding a Waffle House with no white trash in it.

Post March 29th, 2015, 2:12 pm
TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Post March 29th, 2015, 5:34 pm

Points on hand: 907.00 Points
Lol at people being afraid to being stopped at such a low height,

But in other news, what happened at KD and Carrowinds? I didn't hear anything!

Post March 29th, 2015, 5:41 pm
Dirk_Ermen User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 2,175.50 Points
Bank: 45,000.00 Points
"It was terrifying, because I was up there and everything was spinning,"
"I'm scared of heights," she said, "but with their help I made it down. ... This was insane."

... longtime fans had flocked to the roller coaster .... take advantage of free tickets being offered to the first 100 people who showed up to ride the wooden icon.

"Longtime fans" and those type of comments on the first ride which got stuck?
I bet the train was filled up with GP who wanted to ride the coaster without paying. :lol:
Coastercount: 1410 (I've seen the world and it's horrid contraptions... @.@)
- Wood: 142
- Steel: 1268

Post March 29th, 2015, 6:10 pm

Points on hand: 4,800.70 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points

DrachenfireOP wrote:
...But in other news, what happened at KD and Carrowinds? I didn't hear anything!

I believe F325 got briefly stuck on the lift hill, but Im not exactly sure. Im not sure what happened at KD though.
It's been a long time
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCErEzTkqrD55UEiIiiKsKmg

Post March 29th, 2015, 6:33 pm
VF15 User avatar
News Writer
News Writer

Points on hand: 10,818.00 Points
Coaster Hero wrote:
DrachenfireOP wrote:
...But in other news, what happened at KD and Carrowinds? I didn't hear anything!

I believe F325 got briefly stuck on the lift hill, but Im not exactly sure. Im not sure what happened at KD though.

I don't think anything got stuck at Kings Dominion (correct me if I'm wrong), I've just been hearing that a lot of their rides were closed due to the colder weather, including Intimidator 305, Volcano, and Dominator.

Post March 29th, 2015, 7:47 pm

Points on hand: 35.00 Points
Bank: 4,336.00 Points

Post March 29th, 2015, 9:37 pm

Points on hand: 13,491.00 Points
I wonder if real operators can have the train stuck in a lift hill, back to the station. Another way of what we call a rollback. I sometimes try that thing in No Limits by repeatedly pushing F12 or E-Stop key. ;)

As for true GPs, no wonder they leave a comment like "everything is spinning" because they get dizzy a bit when they get scared of heights.
-- I was happy to be with NL1 - [:')] --

Post March 30th, 2015, 9:22 am

Points on hand: 907.00 Points
Not sure I catch your meaning. Like are you asking if they can move the chain backwards to back the train up? Not on any traditional coaster. The chain actually would go backwards and take the train with it when the motor is off, which is why the anti-rollback device is in the lift in the first place!

Post March 30th, 2015, 9:33 am
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
TTD03 wrote:
^ IKR, stupid GP's :lol:

90% of people including first time employees absolutely flip out on lift stairs. You don't know how you'll deal with them until you're on them yourself.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post March 30th, 2015, 9:57 am

Points on hand: 13,491.00 Points
Anyone who can name classic coasters that have no anti-rollback device? Just wondering.
Last edited by lol240 on March 31st, 2015, 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
-- I was happy to be with NL1 - [:')] --

Post March 30th, 2015, 10:16 am
TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Coasterkidmwm wrote:
TTD03 wrote:

90% of people including first time employees absolutely flip out on lift stairs. You don't know how you'll deal with them until you're on them yourself.

Oh I think I would be moderately terrified walking up to the top of Magnum, but I'd deal.

Post March 30th, 2015, 6:26 pm

Points on hand: 4,800.70 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points

Post March 30th, 2015, 6:36 pm

Points on hand: 6,575.00 Points

TTD03 wrote:
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
TTD03 wrote:

Oh I think I would be moderately terrified walking up to the top of Magnum, but I'd deal.

Oh, I'll second what Coasterkidmwm said. I love me a good lift walk. I've only been on Wildcats, Corkscrew and Gatekeepers... And Gatekeeper has a lot of steps...

Back onto Cyclone, I'll have to find the article, but according to the media 100 people had to walk down from the lift. Damn that capacity! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cedar Point
2008-2015
--2015--
Beach Band- June-August
https://www.facebook.com/TrumpetDMR

Return to Theme Park News & Construction!