Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park News & Construction! Man Kills Himself At Universal Studios Hollywood

Man Kills Himself At Universal Studios Hollywood

Theme Park Construction And News Forum

Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

Points on hand: 11,527.60 Points
Bank: 187,052.60 Points

A man killed himself at Universal Studios Hollywood today near the Despicable Me Minion Mayhem ride :( He had just had an argument with his estranged girlfriend.

We'll bring more news of this as we get it. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook as we'll post it there first:

https://twitter.com/CoasterCrazy

https://www.facebook.com/coastercrazy

Update
At around 2:20 pacific time, Los Angeles Sherriff authorizes received and responded to a call regarding an incident at Universal Studios Hollywood. When they arrived at the theme park, they found a man dead by a self inflicted gunshot wound in the designated smoking area near the Despicable Me Minion Mayhem attraction.

The team park staff reacted quickly and started distributing bottled water to park guests that made their way into the nearby attractions to shield themselves from what was going on.

The park checks bags when entering the park but reports from guests today say the inspection of bags is very minimal. Calls for metal detectors have started circulating around. Whether metal detectors may have prevented this disturbing incident is unknown but it is an added layer of inspection. We'll post more updates as we get them.
Support Us! - Click Here To Donate $5 Monthly!
Paradox wrote:
No need to tell Oscar about the problems. He is magic.

Points on hand: 398.00 Points
Just... ouch. Theme parks are supposed to be happy places and then this happens.

I'll wait for more details, though. It's not fair to pass judgement on the man or the girlfriend without info.
WIP: In order of release priority: Nordschleife: Green Hell, unnamed B&M Floorless, unnamed Mack Launched Coaster
"I don't want to say never, because I think never is always the wrong answer." - Walter Bolliger

Points on hand: 10,012.00 Points
Why pay $100 for admission to a park just to kill himself... I mean, it's not like he went into the park thinking he was gonna chill. He brought a gun. I guess at that point in mentality money is no factor. But still fishy. Maybe he thought the park could give him one last shot of happiness and brought the gun in case it didn't. Either way, sad. Hearing about suicide is just sad. Poor champ.
1-Millennium Force | 2-Intimidator 305 | 3-Fury 325
4-Skyrush | 5-Iron Rattler | 6-X2 | 7-Kingda Ka
8-Voyage | 9-Maverick | 10-Monster

Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

Update posted, check original post for the update.
Paradox wrote:

Yeah the bag check at Universal is basically "open whichever pocket you want and I'll stick a wooden dowel in there without really even looking." This is going to be a big player in the very near future about security updates. Also, this entire situation could have been a lot worse. If someone goes into a very populated area with intent on suicide, usually they end up bringing some with them.

rcmaniac25 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 7,270.00 Points

That's terrible. Though I don't really understand the "distributing bottled water to park guests that made their way into the nearby attractions to shield themselves from what was going on",

VF15 User avatar
News Writer
News Writer

Points on hand: 10,818.00 Points
This is terrible news. It's sad that someone would take their own life in a place like this. Prayers go out to his family.

Paradox User avatar

Points on hand: 7,113.00 Points
Bank: 10,198.60 Points
I was wondering how he was able to get a gun into the park.

I feel bad for the poor guy, I know what it feels like to be really depressed.
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:
Just don't employ stupid people and you're golden.

That's like finding a Waffle House with no white trash in it.

Points on hand: 398.00 Points
Paradox wrote:
I was wondering how he was able to get a gun into the park.

I feel bad for the poor guy, I know what it feels like to be really depressed.

Yeah, me too. The security check should have been stronger. Plus, why in a park, near a ride inspired by a kid-oriented franchise no less?
WIP: In order of release priority: Nordschleife: Green Hell, unnamed B&M Floorless, unnamed Mack Launched Coaster
"I don't want to say never, because I think never is always the wrong answer." - Walter Bolliger

Unless it's Six Flags security, sponsored by TSA themselves, the security checkpoint is nothing more than an old man or woman looking you up and down once.

**edit, Maybe that's something Six Flags is doing right for once.

Points on hand: 2,652.00 Points
Bank: 2,739.00 Points

rcmaniac25 wrote:
That's terrible. Though I don't really understand the "distributing bottled water to park guests that made their way into the nearby attractions to shield themselves from what was going on",

Probably because if they were just standing still to form a human wall then it would be too obvious something was going on. I actually commend the park.staff for the way they handled the situation.
"if you found your laughin' place, how come you ain't laughin'."https://www.facebook.com/calicoaster1/

Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

rcmaniac25 wrote:

Guests at the time didn't know what was going on and assumed something more dangerous was going on so people scattered. The staff giving water, well, fill up a place with people shoulder to shoulder and it gets hot fast despite the AC so I guess that was done to prevent any complaints about the lack of action from the staff.
Paradox wrote:

Points on hand: 13,491.00 Points
Screaming while having fun on an attraction is a good thing, but doing the same at a dead person is just sad
or... tragic. One word: PTSD. :sad:

Edit: Any additional facts about this case?
Last edited by lol240 on April 6th, 2015, 7:57 am, edited 3 times in total.
-- I was happy to be with NL1 - [:')] --

Points on hand: 7,295.00 Points
usueally even if you think you see a gun in the pocket the back check people cant do anything from stoping anything to do anything not even the security sadly but this is true

TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 738.00 Points
Bank: 111,265.11 Points
Really sad to hear,
Despite how much I hate metal detectors, they are necessary.

Metazoanhaddock User avatar

Points on hand: 3,307.00 Points
Bank: 52,337.00 Points
deere839 wrote:
usueally even if you think you see a gun in the pocket the back check people cant do anything from stoping anything to do anything not even the security sadly but this is true

usually*
didn't know "back checks" were a thing at theme parks
stopping*
anything from stoping anything to do anything......what?
PLEASE look over your posts
Head Moderator
Director, Structural Engineer - PEAK Amusements
Site Contest Judge (Supporting)
Chatroom Admin

Dirk_Ermen User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 2,175.50 Points
Bank: 45,000.00 Points
Wow, this pretty much sucks that this happened. Too bad he managed to bring a gun into the park. But with the basic security check, I'm not surprised he succeeded. It's easy enough to warp the gun into a vest or something like that and stuff that into the bottom of the bag. Huge chance they won't find it.
Luckily no one else got physically hurt. Otherwise it could have turned out into an even bigger drama.
Coastercount: 1410 (I've seen the world and it's horrid contraptions... @.@)
- Wood: 142
- Steel: 1268

^if surcity sees it anyway they cant do anything with the bag check they have to go tell the police officer

Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

deere839 wrote:
^if surcity sees it anyway they cant do anything with the bag check they have to go tell the police officer

What is surcity?
Paradox wrote:

mkingy User avatar

Points on hand: 28,053.00 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points

Metazoanhaddock User avatar

Points on hand: 3,307.00 Points
Bank: 52,337.00 Points
Oscar wrote:
deere839 wrote:

What is surcity?

beat me to it, I was gunna ask what state Sur-City was in lol
Head Moderator
Director, Structural Engineer - PEAK Amusements
Site Contest Judge (Supporting)
Chatroom Admin

JAMMY User avatar
Event Coordinator
Event Coordinator

Points on hand: 5,820.00 Points
^ Hah

This is such a terrible thing to occur at a place that is meant to be such a happy place (well theme parks in general, not saying US has to be happy :P). Talk about juxtaposition or what. Anywho, I can only fear the worst for what new security measures are going to be brought in in-light of this incident. What is the policy at the moment at US, is it just random bag checks as you enter, or is it full blown metal detectors, searches at all attraction entrances and such?
Favourite Park 2016:Still LISEBERG (mmm... HELIX)
Favourite Ride 2016: Still HELIX (at night)

Steam: JAMMYD777
https://twitter.com/JAMMYD778
https://www.youtube.com/JAMMYD778

Points on hand: 680.00 Points
Bank: 1,513.00 Points
At least he didn't take anyone else with him.... Could of been worse.
still... i was shocked.

Points on hand: 5,149.54 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points

JAMMYD778 wrote:
^ Hah

This is such a terrible thing to occur at a place that is meant to be such a happy place (well theme parks in general, not saying US has to be happy :P). Talk about juxtaposition or what. Anywho, I can only fear the worst for what new security measures are going to be brought in in-light of this incident. What is the policy at the moment at US, is it just random bag checks as you enter, or is it full blown metal detectors, searches at all attraction entrances and such?

Kennnywood currently has a metal detector, and then a bag check at the park entrance.

Return to Theme Park News & Construction!