Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park News & Construction! Alton Towers 2018 - Wicker Man: GCI Wooden [mild spoilers]

Alton Towers 2018 - Wicker Man: GCI Wooden [mild spoilers]

Theme Park Construction And News Forum

gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 2,723.00 Points
Bank: 25,088.00 Points

Last edited by gouldy on April 24th, 2015, 9:05 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post April 23rd, 2015, 5:02 pm
JAMMY User avatar
Event Coordinator
Event Coordinator

Points on hand: 5,820.00 Points
^ I thought Saw was at Thorpe!? :P

On a serious note, this is very exciting stuff. All of the recent developments are building evidence for this coaster. Firstly, there's the mass amount of tree felling throughout the valley, over to Forbidden Valley and Dark Forest. Then there's the fact that The Blade's days are numbered as proven by their attempt to remove it from the ride line up this year. Then there was the release of plans earlier this week to extend the Air Shop and install a new 'FoodLoop' style restaurant, possibly in preparation for an increased number of guests to the Forbidden Valley area of the park and now this. I think it's very likely the new coaster/attraction will be in Forbidden Valley, but a woodie, is still very much uncertain, especially with the planning process requiring many different factors. At least the lack of an EIA is a good start. :-D Much excite!
Favourite Park 2016:Still LISEBERG (mmm... HELIX)
Favourite Ride 2016: Still HELIX (at night)

Steam: JAMMYD777
https://twitter.com/JAMMYD778
https://www.youtube.com/JAMMYD778

Post April 23rd, 2015, 7:04 pm
Turbo User avatar

Points on hand: 5,506.00 Points
Bank: 21,857.68 Points

I don't see them ever getting a woodie unfortunately. Not only do they have visual and physical requirements but they also have sound requirements as well.
Coaster Count: 582 // Top Five: 1. Helix 2. Nemesis 3. Big Bad Wolf 4. Boulder Dash 5. Balder

Coasterkidmwm wrote:
4 G's to the taint was a bit much for me because I'm not a power bottom like Turbo

Post April 23rd, 2015, 7:58 pm
JAMMY User avatar
Event Coordinator
Event Coordinator

I sort of agree with you Turbo but all the signs are suggesting a woodie of some sorts so I am hopeful. Obviously nothing is definite, but Alton have a very close working relationship with the planning council and would never apply for something if they didn't think it would be approved. And with regards to sound levels, the documents highlight one or more of the highpoints to be covered by sound tunnels.

In my opinion, I believe they are planning a woodie, but cross valley, I don't think it will be.

Post April 23rd, 2015, 9:59 pm
Turbo User avatar

I really with the parks neighbors weren't prudes about the sound. The visual part sure I get it. You know what it actually helps the park in some ways. But the sound is kind of annoying. It's an amusement park. They aren't a 24 hour operation.
Coaster Count: 582 // Top Five: 1. Helix 2. Nemesis 3. Big Bad Wolf 4. Boulder Dash 5. Balder

Coasterkidmwm wrote:
4 G's to the taint was a bit much for me because I'm not a power bottom like Turbo

Post April 23rd, 2015, 10:03 pm
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
Gouldy you know it won't happen. Last time it was "for sure" a woodie you got Thirteen.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post April 24th, 2015, 3:16 am
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

A man can dream can't he?

Let me get excited just for a little bit!

From the article, it could be literally anything at this point (except a strata coaster or something, obviously).

Post April 24th, 2015, 3:48 am
mkingy User avatar

Points on hand: 28,048.00 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points
People keep saying 'foodloop' restaurant and I'm not entire sure what that is - I presume its similar to the one at Europa Park but I don't know what that is either!

@Jammy - they did apply for a woodie back in 2003 however withdrew it before it got into the meeting - perhaps these are the revised plans (which means hello 200ft woodie)

source: http://old.towerstimes.co.uk/history/plans/woodie.htm
Coaster Count - 198
France 2019 Mini Trip Report

Post April 24th, 2015, 4:16 am
JAMMY User avatar
Event Coordinator
Event Coordinator

@mkingy: Yeah, it's the same concept as 'FoodLoop' at Europa Park with the track service. Basically, it's a big gimmick, quite cool though. You order your food on a touchscreen on the table, then once it's cooked, it's sent in a sealed tray down a wacky coaster style track, doing turns and such, heck, Europa's even has a loop and lift hills haha, and arrives at your table. :P

And yeah, I remember those plans which is quite supportive really, it's never been the case of a woodie being rejected by the council, it's just Alton withdrew. Here's hoping, although I still don't think it would be cross valley. ;-)

Post April 24th, 2015, 4:34 am
mkingy User avatar

JAMMYD778 wrote:
And yeah, I remember those plans which is quite supportive really, it's never been the case of a woodie being rejected by the council, it's just Alton withdrew. Here's hoping, although I still don't think it would be cross valley. ;-)

Well no not explicitly - but they withdrew them because they felt they would get rejected. Its the same thing really is it not?

We'll have to see anyway. Probably just going to move Sonic Spinball and Blade into the valley.
Coaster Count - 198

Post April 24th, 2015, 4:51 am
JAMMY User avatar
Event Coordinator
Event Coordinator

Well, I suppose you could say it's the same thing. But we must remain hopeful, however small that piece of hope is haha. A question for you all though, if it were a woodie, would you prefer an RMC installation or a traditional CGI/GG? It's an interesting thought as to what Merlin's feelings may be as well.

I personally am hoping for them to reveal that it's actually the World's First Teletubbies rollercoaster. They love their world's firsts'. ;-)

Post April 24th, 2015, 5:29 am
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

mkingy wrote:
@Jammy - they did apply for a woodie back in 2003 however withdrew it before it got into the meeting - perhaps these are the revised plans (which means hello 200ft woodie)

source: http://old.towerstimes.co.uk/history/plans/woodie.htm

Man, how much better would that have been than Th13teen.

Post April 24th, 2015, 5:46 am
mkingy User avatar

On second thoughts they should do away with the lift hills and have a launched GG / RMC :D
Coaster Count - 198

Post April 24th, 2015, 6:27 am
Dirk_Ermen User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 2,175.50 Points
Bank: 45,000.00 Points
JAMMYD778 wrote:
A question for you all though, if it were a woodie, would you prefer an RMC installation or a traditional CGI/GG?

Personally I would go for something GG (With hopefully a MV combination). We need to see more of those rides in Europe. I don't see GCI building anything on Alton area. But since Alton has the issue with noise I assume it's going to be an RMC Hybrid.
Coastercount: 1410 (I've seen the world and it's horrid contraptions... @.@)
- Wood: 142
- Steel: 1268

Post April 24th, 2015, 9:28 am
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

JAMMYD778 wrote:
A question for you all though, if it were a woodie, would you prefer an RMC installation or a traditional CGI/GG?

If it was a woodie, then personally I'd prefer that it wasn't RMC. Maybe I'm a bit of a traditionalist, but it'd be a little bit of a slap in the face if the only wooden coaster that Alton Towers ever built wasn't actually a woodie.

Having said that, maybe the only way Alton Towers could get a "woodie" is if it was RMC...

Don't know enough yet to say anything of any real substance, though. It's likely not even a woodie anyway, let's not forget. ;)

Post April 24th, 2015, 12:23 pm
Paradox User avatar

Points on hand: 7,113.00 Points
Bank: 10,198.60 Points
RMC inverted 4D aquatrax confirmed!!!!111!11
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:
Just don't employ stupid people and you're golden.

That's like finding a Waffle House with no white trash in it.

Post April 24th, 2015, 12:49 pm
Turbo User avatar

Paradox wrote:

nonono, 5D bro. You're now in a ball that can spin in any direction.

Coasterkidmwm wrote:

Post April 24th, 2015, 2:24 pm

Points on hand: 2,849.00 Points
Obviously it will be "World's First Inverting Launched Wooden Coaster"

Rumor says Dollywood's "World's First Launched Wooden Coaster" won't invert.

Post April 24th, 2015, 7:04 pm
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
gouldy wrote:
A man can dream can't he?

Let me get excited just for a little bit!

From the article, it could be literally anything at this point (except a strata coaster or something, obviously).

I shoot down hopes and dreams faster than a redneck shoots a crippled deer.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post April 25th, 2015, 8:02 pm

Points on hand: 13,491.00 Points
Turbo wrote:
Paradox wrote:

nonono, 5D bro. You're now in a ball that can spin in any direction.

I thought of a sphere (Uh oh, forgot the proper name, sorry!) attraction! That's absolutely sick when going down the hill! :lol: I know Space Spin is a similar ride, though! Space Spin on a coaster ride would be like... nausea level: ultra-extreme (numbers shown in a red font)! :shock:
-- I was happy to be with NL1 - [:')] --

Post April 26th, 2015, 5:24 am
mkingy User avatar

Post April 26th, 2015, 9:00 am

Points on hand: 0.00 Points
Bank: 15,018.00 Points

Post April 28th, 2015, 1:49 pm
Dirk_Ermen User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 2,175.50 Points
Bank: 45,000.00 Points
mkingy wrote:
Mondial Shake cars ona coaster track :lol:

I already thought of that idea once. But I think it would be too hard to get a proper flip which those cars on a coaster track. Even loops and rolls probably end up having no inversions due the free swing of the cars. :lol:
Coastercount: 1410 (I've seen the world and it's horrid contraptions... @.@)
- Wood: 142
- Steel: 1268

Post May 3rd, 2015, 6:36 am
mkingy User avatar

screamscape wrote:
According to the latest rumor sent my way about Alton Tower???s SW8 project, our source backs up that it will be an wooden coaster, but also claims that it may be a ???launched??? coaster as well, though they insist that RMC is not involved in this project as well. Very interesting???
Coaster Count - 198

Post May 3rd, 2015, 6:38 am
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

I wonder what their source is?

I am finding it hard not to get excited about this, even if their source is just someone at Towers who knows exactly how to troll British enthusiasts!!

Next

Return to Theme Park News & Construction!