Board index Theme Park Discussions General Theme Park Discussions Longest Queue and Most Excessive Switchbacks

Longest Queue and Most Excessive Switchbacks

Discuss anything related to theme parks in general.

Post October 4th, 2011, 10:34 pm

Points on hand: 99.00 Points
Originally posted by cjd

I waited the full 3 hours to go on Millennium Force the year that it opened. Fortunately, it was early in the morning, so there was still enough fog to keep everyone cool. Plus there was a DJ in the music booth, plus I always find some random people to chat with about roller coasters in queue lines, so even though it was the longest I've ever waited for a ride by a wide margin, it really wasn't that bad.

I feel bad for the people who rode in the middle of the day, though. It's like 95 degrees, almost no shade, and nothing but an occasional mist fan. That must have been hell back in those days when the switchbacks were almost always near-completely full.

As far as longest walk from exit to enterance, I'm definitely going to agree with Flight Deck at King's Island. It was long enough back when Son of Beast was at least back there too, while now it's just so far away from everything else that it's ridiculous. Even with no line, it would probably take a full 10 minutes to get back to the station again after exiting.

I don't know if you'll know this but i'm talking to anyone who knows. Does MF still get a full queue at times???

Post October 5th, 2011, 12:41 am
cjd

Points on hand: 4,718.00 Points

No, MF definitely doesn't anymore. Even on the Saturday of July 4th weekend, the busiest day of the year, the queue generally doesn't get over 2 to 2 1/2 hours. In all of May and June, it's practically a walk-on, and on most days in July and August the highest you'll see it is around an hour. And if you go on any non-Saturday-non-holiday, it'll generally be less than 30 minutes.

Top Thrill Dragster and Maverick have significantly helped in thinning the lines out in that area of the park in recent years, with Raptor still getting the bulk of the crowd from the front of the park.

Post October 5th, 2011, 12:45 am
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
Originally posted by cjd

I waited the full 3 hours to go on Millennium Force the year that it opened.

Wait 6 for Batman all while realizing you're not tall enough and only your father and older sister are riding. The ride opening was completely nuts. Line wrapped around the par twice, and it had all kinds of seclude d bridges around.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post October 5th, 2011, 7:48 pm

Points on hand: 400.00 Points
Dueling Dragons at Universal, no line at all but the ques are long as hell.

Post October 5th, 2011, 10:20 pm

Wait 6 for Batman all while realizing you're not tall enough and only your father and older sister are riding. The ride opening was completely nuts. Line wrapped around the par twice, and it had all kinds of seclude d bridges around.

Which Batman??

Post October 5th, 2011, 10:37 pm
jayman Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 3,115.00 Points

i waited for 5 and 1/2 hours for X when it opened.. fortunately i didnt lose my mind as they didnt have the "you are stuck here .even if you have a freind in line to hold your place while you go to the bathroom or have a smoke we will let some power tripping love wreck your day if you leave and come back "

Post October 6th, 2011, 7:53 am

Points on hand: 617.00 Points
Ok Dragon Challenge and any of the JP:RA. especialy FL,
Although Oblivions queueline is not nessecerely long it just feels it when you walk the queue line up and up and up and up round and round and round only to exit and have to walk so far round to re ride.

Longest Queue not for me but any1 in 94' must be the FULL Queueline of Nemesis as before you got to the trees section you had to walk almost back to where dynamo was and the 2012 instalation will be soon, then after walking the pit, the line went back round the stall turn and right back into the woods again almost to the lift hill, the back onto the ramp into the station.

For switchbacks how ever..Congo River Rapids Busch Gardens Africa.Image
I do not take any credit for this picture
Joined age 14 still here at 28 =]

Post October 6th, 2011, 4:41 pm

Post October 7th, 2011, 4:36 am

Points on hand: 617.00 Points
the exccesive queueline, it starts at the orange thing inbetween the first corkscrew and the monorail, then goes right up near the begining of forbidden valley(bright green grassy bit) then back on its self into the trees,then back down to the orange bit again,down the pit and back up into the trees again after the lower left stall turn all the way across to the lift hill,back oagain to the stall turn then finaly into the station(Extra 30mins for the front). Now i have explained where the queue is hopfully you will realise why i posted it.
Joined age 14 still here at 28 =]

Post October 10th, 2011, 12:36 pm

Points on hand: 1,400.00 Points
I would also have to go with, Dragon Challenge, and the Forbidden journey THey are ridiculously long.
Gimme a good coaster and nobody gets hurt.

Post February 15th, 2015, 10:05 am
VF15 User avatar
News Writer
News Writer

Points on hand: 10,818.00 Points
I agree that American Eagle at Six Flags Great America does have a very long queue line. Although, when I rode it, a lot of the queue was actually being utilized, so it might be necessary (not sure if waits that long for AE are normal though).

Kraken has a long queue line that really isn't necessary. There are about four or five rooms of switchbacks before you get to the station, but in the several times I visited SeaWorld Orlando, the longest I saw the line reach was the beginning of the last room of switchbacks before the station. Maybe it was very busy when the ride first opened, but it isn't very busy now.

Steel Venom at Valleyfair used to have an unnecessarily long queue line until they removed part of it during the construction of Route 76.

Post February 15th, 2015, 10:13 am

Points on hand: 2,485.00 Points
Kali River Rapids at WDW's Animal kingdom has an insanely long walk.

Post February 15th, 2015, 10:35 am
Paradox User avatar

Points on hand: 7,113.00 Points
Bank: 10,198.60 Points
Leviathan. Omg like three different switchback sections and then back around to the front to go up two flights of stairs.
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:
Just don't employ stupid people and you're golden.

That's like finding a Waffle House with no white trash in it.

Points on hand: 7,295.00 Points
I feel like sheikra at bgt has a huge one with dragon challenge at universal studio

Points on hand: 4,800.70 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points

(bump) Zumanjaro has the absolute longest queue I've ever seen. Even with a walk-on it takes a very long time to even get to the station. I'm sure anyone who's been on it will agree (*cough, TTD03, *cough) Takes at least 10 minutes just to walk, but I don't blame them because it's the only way to get all the way back to Kingda Ka's tower. On the plus side, I've discovered that the exit queue is a great place to hear and record Kingda Ka's launch sound!
It's been a long time
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCErEzTkqrD55UEiIiiKsKmg

Paradox User avatar

Bizarro has a lot of switchbacks, but at least they are covered.
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:

Points on hand: 2,485.00 Points
^Bizarro switchbacks are not that bad, I actually don't mind them that much.

In terms of the longest queue, I thought Expedition Everest's queue was pretty long, atlhough it's informative and interesting.

Another queue that seems pretty long would be Nitro's at SFGA... Not even just the queue, the exit path is ridiculous...

Paradox User avatar

Oh yea. EE's queue was very long, but it was very well themed so I didn't mind.
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:

Points on hand: 4,563.00 Points
1. Great Adventure's boardwalk coasters, particularly Superman: Ultimate Flight.

2. Aside from the obvious (Dragon Challenge and the other HP rides) I think the winner would have to be Kingda Ka's original queue, the one that passed under the launch track. It had three large sets of switchbacks in the infield in addition to the one they use now. When it first opened, it could easily fill up so much that the line would be 6 hours.

Points on hand: 4,748.89 Points
1. Once waited 4 hours for Goliath at SFOG. Never again.
2. Strangely all the B&M inverts i've been on have extremely long and drawn out switchbacks. The culprits here are the Batman clones at SFGAdv and SFOG, Montu at BGT, and Dragon Challenge at IOA.
Mind Bender at SFOG is pretty great
Check out my WIP thread
Currently working on Thunderbolt, a second generation Schwarzkoph.

Previous

Return to General Theme Park Discussions