Board index Theme Park Discussions General Theme Park Discussions Roughest Coaster You've Ridden

Roughest Coaster You've Ridden

Discuss anything related to theme parks in general.

Post May 8th, 2015, 12:14 am

Points on hand: 6,869.00 Points
tiepilot35 wrote:
SkyRider at Canada's Wonderland
Paradox wrote:
Wild Beast at CW was horrid.

After a very disappointing experience with Canada's Wonderland, these were the 2 highlights for me. Though I think Leviathan is still a tiny bit better than Wild Beast, I was still surprised at how good they were (or maybe how boring Leviathan was?). But I thought SkyRider was a fantastic airtime packed coaster that was the best coaster in the park and SO much smoother than Shockwave at Kings Dominion. Wild Beast was just a less fun version of Grizzly at Kings Dominion, but was still really fun. I think if you know where to sit on wooden coasters, you have less problems with them because I found Wild Beast to be quite comfortable.

RCT3rox wrote:
With my limited coaster count (somewhere around 36), I think the roughest ride I've ridden is Wildcat @ Hershey. Got off that thing from the back row with a mild concussion :lol:

I've tested this problem with Wildcat so many times and I can't seem to get a bad ride on it. I'm not going to say it's smooth, but if I sit like a human being (I have leaned over and turned around which I paid for) , I never get hurt on Wildcat. I actually think it's the best wooden coaster at Hershey. Comet is actually rough for me at the bottom of the first drop.

But my worst are Mind Eraser at Darien Lake and Wildcat at Lake Compounce before the re-track (It's not great yet but it's a bearable front seat ride).
1.Boulder Dash | 2.Legend(HW) | 3.Beast | 4.Ravine Flyer II | 5.Intimdator 305 | 6.Phoenix | 7.Twisted Timbers | 8.Wicked Cyclone | 9.Thunderhead | 10.Storm Chaser

Post May 8th, 2015, 1:49 pm

Points on hand: 227.00 Points
Bank: 11,457.10 Points
I absolutely loved Wildcat when I was LC a couple years ago. It was definitely rough, but theirs nothing to get hit by so it doesn't hurt or anything.
All hail your great Arrow Dynamics overlords.

Post May 8th, 2015, 2:09 pm
Paradox User avatar

Points on hand: 7,113.00 Points
Bank: 10,198.60 Points
Keep in mind Wildcat was built in 1927.
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:
Just don't employ stupid people and you're golden.

That's like finding a Waffle House with no white trash in it.

Post May 13th, 2015, 5:49 am
Dirk_Ermen User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 2,175.50 Points
Bank: 45,000.00 Points
Nobody knew the Rattler Bend? That was for me the reason to head there and ride it. That sway is a one of a kind thing that I would loved to experience. Only by the time I got there they already closed the Rattler. :(
Coastercount: 1410 (I've seen the world and it's horrid contraptions... @.@)
- Wood: 142
- Steel: 1268

Post May 13th, 2015, 6:10 am

Points on hand: 4,689.00 Points
Bank: 1,372.00 Points
gouldy wrote:
Stampida @ Port Aventura, since it has had these trains:

You need to get back to PA, GCI have just recently retracked the first curve at it's so smooth, it's completely breathed new life into Stampida. I hope the go through and retrack the whole thing.

Either Magnus Colossus at Terra Mitica, Coaster Express at Parque Warner Madrid or Furius Baco (Specifically in the back row) at PortAventura. Though FB may be a really rough ride, it's still probably one of my favourites.

Post May 13th, 2015, 6:53 am
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
TallonD83 wrote:
Uhm...this...

I would do alot of bad things to be tall enough to ride (and present) on the real un-reprofiled Rattler's opening day. That old ride was so good looking in all of the worst ways possible.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post May 13th, 2015, 1:46 pm

Points on hand: 3,978.00 Points
Was several/many years ago, but had to be what I believe was called Psychlone at SFMM. Is now called Apocalypse. Hope the worked out the sideways pounding that battered the knees, hips and elbows.

Post May 13th, 2015, 2:37 pm

Points on hand: 6,539.00 Points
devilsrule911 wrote:
I thought SkyRider was a fantastic airtime packed coaster that was the best coaster in the park...

I find it somewhat confounding that these Togo stand-ups have a fan club. I found Skyrider to be nothing more than an uncomfortable, awkward and occasionally jarring experience, though it was better than the SLC across the park by a hair. I wasn't about to ride it again, though. And I definitely think that Leviathan sort of fizzles at the end and is too short, but boring? The first half is stellar.

As for roughest coaster, I'd have to say Kong @ SFDK as well, and I rode it 15 years ago. Old Texas Giant was egregiously bad before it was put down as well.

Also Apocalypse is an entirely new coaster, Psyclone was demolished and Apocalypse built in its place.

Post May 13th, 2015, 7:17 pm

Points on hand: 6,869.00 Points
I'm not really a fan of Togo stand-ups. I'm just a fan of SkyRider. Shockwave at Kings Dominion is dreadful. SkyRider doesn't have any of the hard slams that Shockwave has and it has some serious airtime (which is amazing on a stand-up). Though I'll admit some of the turns are awkward, I wouldn't consider it to be uncomfortable or jarring. It more comes across as silly and not anything that I can't compensate for by slightly moving my body. It didn't have those slamming kinks that Shockwave has at all. I think you just have to ride the coaster without letting yourself get slammed around by leaning back and absorbing the motions of the ride.

As for Leviathan, there is nothing great about it at all about it. The beginning was ok, but the low to the ground turns and short hops that I thought would be good did absolutely nothing for the ride and the two airtime hills weren't anything more than generic B&M floater hills. I would much rather ride Nitro or Apollo's Chariot because they actually make an effort to have surprises and progression. It's a decent ride, but there's nothing about Leviathan that was more than average.
1.Boulder Dash | 2.Legend(HW) | 3.Beast | 4.Ravine Flyer II | 5.Intimdator 305 | 6.Phoenix | 7.Twisted Timbers | 8.Wicked Cyclone | 9.Thunderhead | 10.Storm Chaser

Post May 13th, 2015, 7:22 pm

Points on hand: 35.00 Points
Bank: 4,336.00 Points
I'm going to have to remove The Legend from my roughest coasters. That thing is running beautifully so far this season.
Diamondback is Diamonbae.

Post May 13th, 2015, 7:26 pm
Paradox User avatar

Points on hand: 7,113.00 Points
Bank: 10,198.60 Points
Rickrollercoaster wrote:
I'm going to have to remove The Legend from my roughest coasters. That thing is running beautifully so far this season.

I've heard that they are running two trains again which is great! Legend would make a great iron horse though.

"I don't like the Voyage. It's not my kind of ride"

--Robb Alvey 2k15
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:
Just don't employ stupid people and you're golden.

That's like finding a Waffle House with no white trash in it.

Post May 14th, 2015, 1:30 pm

Points on hand: 6,539.00 Points
devilsrule911 wrote:
I'm not really a fan of Togo stand-ups. I'm just a fan of SkyRider. Shockwave at Kings Dominion is dreadful. SkyRider doesn't have any of the hard slams that Shockwave has and it has some serious airtime (which is amazing on a stand-up). Though I'll admit some of the turns are awkward, I wouldn't consider it to be uncomfortable or jarring. It more comes across as silly and not anything that I can't compensate for by slightly moving my body. It didn't have those slamming kinks that Shockwave has at all. I think you just have to ride the coaster without letting yourself get slammed around by leaning back and absorbing the motions of the ride.

As for Leviathan, there is nothing great about it at all about it. The beginning was ok, but the low to the ground turns and short hops that I thought would be good did absolutely nothing for the ride and the two airtime hills weren't anything more than generic B&M floater hills. I would much rather ride Nitro or Apollo's Chariot because they actually make an effort to have surprises and progression. It's a decent ride, but there's nothing about Leviathan that was more than average.

I can take your points about SkyRider...I think the restraint system contributed to the awkwardness, plus I really don't enjoy standing coasters in general (and now I'm glad it's not Shockwave I rode, I'll be skipping that if I make it to KD this year). To be fair SkyRider didn't jackknife through the course like Flight Deck did.

Leviathan is an interesting beast. It's a front seat coaster, did you ride in front? I thoroughly enjoyed it during my trip opening year, but it was a disappointment in ways as well. For me, the first drop in B&M's peerless hyper trains was the one of the best I've been on and the first overbank was taken surprisingly fast. The low speed hill was a fun and floaty surprise, and I got good floater on the first camelback and I enjoyed the shaping of the turnaround. After that, the edge is lost and the pacing slows - the following curve, camelbank and overbank didn't do much for me either. So I'm left with a difficult dichotomy to rectify, but after each ride I still had trouble deciding if I preferred Behemoth or Leviathan. I think I still prefer Nitro to both, though.

Post June 19th, 2015, 5:07 am
VF15 User avatar
News Writer
News Writer

Points on hand: 10,818.00 Points
Invertigo at Kings Island is now the roughest coaster I've ridden. I was riding it defensively but my head still got banged around a lot. The horrible Vekoma restraints were likely the problem there. If they gave Invertigo new restraints, it could become a decent ride since it had some intensity.
file.jpg

Post June 19th, 2015, 10:40 am
XLR8R User avatar
CoasterCrazy Media
CoasterCrazy Media

Points on hand: 3,273.01 Points
While I still enjoy it, GhostRider is currently the roughest coaster I have been on. Hopefully, it receives the rumored topper track in a few years.
Storm Chaser | Intimidator 305 | Lightning Run | Twisted Colossus | Maverick | El Toro | Millennium Force | Xcelerator | El Loco | Magnum XL-200
Coaster Count: 154 - Last Credit: Ragin' Cajun (Six Flags America)

Previous

Return to General Theme Park Discussions