Board index Theme Park Discussions General Theme Park Discussions Just went to Great Adventure, thoughts on coasters.

Just went to Great Adventure, thoughts on coasters.

Discuss anything related to theme parks in general.

Points on hand: 1,157.00 Points
I couldn't really put this on the trip reports forum since its a pretty incomplete trip report since I didn't take any pictures since I chose not to take my phone in the park. My girlfriend and I usually just leave our phones alone when we hang out with each other. But, I really did wanna tell my experiences about the rollercoasters we rode while at the park. You might be a little surprised about what I have to say about some.

In order of what was written.

Kingda Ka - 8.5/10. This was the coaster I was actually intimidated by. First of all, the fastest coaster I've been on is Fury 325 which goes I believe 95mph? And when we were on that one, that seemed very fast. This one is 30mph or so faster and its a launch, plus I've never experienced a 400+ foot drop. Well, theres a good and bad to the experience. The good is that it was just fast and that's it, I felt like since the coaster was conquered pretty easily by us, I'll never be intimidated by another rollercoaster again. The bad is that, that's all it is. Its literally just a launch and a drop. Its funny how far we've come. I used to thought Hypersonic XLC at Kings Dominion was the most intense experience I ever had. this one is much faster, but I definitely think my early experiences on XLC were more intense at the time. It was fun, but more of a thing where we conquer our fears than an intense ride. Line was about 45 minutes long.

El Toro - 10/10. Easily one of my all-time favorites now. Excellent ejector air. While the banked turns and turning drops weren't on Skyrush level, they were very intense too. Very long ride, but believe it or not, the line was very short, only about 10-15 minutes. Theres 4 rollercoasters on the top class for me so far from the parks I've been to. Fury 325, Skyrush, El Toro, and Intimidator 305.

Nitro - 9/10. While I liked it quite a lot, my girlfriend said it was really relaxing and slightly boring. I can see why she would say that, but this is too much of a classic and gem and the ride that was tops at Great Adventure for the longest time. We rode the back seat and got some nice floater air, the hills were similar to Intimidator Carowinds and Apollo's Chariot (which wasn't a surprise), The turning drop before the big rising helix was where it actually got more intense. The drops at the end were fun too. About 10-15 minute wait.

Batman: The Ride Backwards - 9/10. I hate to say it, but this was argruably the 2nd most intense experience of the day behind El Toro. It really makes a huge difference going backwards and its quite an experience. Basically everything you think about B&M Inverted coasters back in the day except its going backwards. Walk on, 5 minute wait.

Now, off to Knoebels late September and that should finish off our theme park trips this year. Can't wait to ride Phoenix

Points on hand: 4,800.70 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points

Great TR. By the way, though Hypersonic SLC was much slower than KK is, it accelerated at a much faster rate; all the air powered coasters accelerated faster than the Hydraulic Launch coasters. I head Dodonpa's launch is so quick it feels like getting hit in the chest by a bag of bricks :lol:
It's been a long time
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCErEzTkqrD55UEiIiiKsKmg

Points on hand: 6,539.00 Points
I actually kind of like the duration/build of launches of Dragster and Ka because of how they seem to build forever and accelerate past the point you'd expect them to. Dragster is definitely the superior of the two given the locale, lap restraints and smoothness. I'm not sure if it's just because it was my first B&M hyper but Nitro may be my favorite. I just thought it was really well balanced with plenty of floater and it definitely has some nice positives in its helix as well.

I still need to ride Toro! Thinking about Nitro, though...it almost seems a bit sad that it may be a good while before we see another coaster of its scale from Six Flags. The rumored RMC 4D certainly does nothing to motivate me to get back to the park. Also Batman backwards is the worst...hated it and the Batman here at Over Texas is not running as well since they effed with it. Super not worth the gimmick.

Points on hand: 4,800.70 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points

^I agree about that first part. On KK just when you think it's done accelerating it jerks forward again and the speed just keeps increasing! Never gets old to me
It's been a long time
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCErEzTkqrD55UEiIiiKsKmg

Return to General Theme Park Discussions