Board index Off Topic Board Off Topic Discussion Suspended Coasters

Suspended Coasters

Here, anything goes. Talk about anything that you would like to talk about!

Post December 15th, 2003, 4:07 pm

Points on hand: 4,774.00 Points

Don't you think that With enough speed a suspended coaster could make it through a loop with out tipping over on the side? OR maybe there should be something that lock the hyraulics when they go upside down. No one has managed to achieve an inversion on a suspended coaster. I think that a dual lock would be appropriate so if one failed there would be another one to keep it up right or like i said with enough speed earth's forces would keep it from tipping over but coasters don't always go the same speed so a variable would be needed to allow for that. What do you all think Good Or Bad Idea or how could they achieve it.

Post December 15th, 2003, 4:37 pm

Points on hand: 4,515.00 Points

Post December 15th, 2003, 4:45 pm

Points on hand: 3,008.00 Points
if U make it go round fast enough (unpleasant for the riders) it will stay upright. try swinging a full bucket of water 360* on an extended arm. hardly anything will come out.

Post December 15th, 2003, 5:08 pm

Points on hand: 3,554.00 Points
Under normal conditions, theres no problem with a suspended coaster going through vertical loop. Centrifugal force would keep the cars upright just as it would hold riders in the car.
The problem arises if the coaster was to stall in the loop. The cars would fall sideways and probably sustain heavy damage. Riders necks wouldn't fare to well either.

While its would be theoreticly possible to use some kind of locking mechanism, in reality this would not be feasable. Suspended coasters are complex and expensive enough to maintain as they are.

Post December 16th, 2003, 12:26 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 2,723.00 Points
Bank: 25,088.00 Points

On 4-D coasters, a second set of rails are used to tell the passengers chairs when to spin to what degree and so on, couldn't the same kind of system be used on a suspended coaster to tell the cars when to go to the left or right and how much by, or to tell the cars to lock into place?

Post December 16th, 2003, 4:46 pm

Taht's a good idea it would take some inginuity but It could work.

Post December 16th, 2003, 6:23 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Cool, i came up with something that might work, hahaha, cool! I must be smart[sillyme]

Post December 16th, 2003, 6:47 pm

Yeah smart. That's it. And just to let you know I've been thinking about that more and I still think It may work now of course the whole track would have to have 4 rails but that'd be really awesome a suspended looper even though they' re like extinct now. i think B&M or Itamin shouls try thier own verion of it. Or Even S&S

Post December 16th, 2003, 7:58 pm

Points on hand: 2,200.00 Points

i had that same thought a long time ago, except my idea of a locking system would be one like they use going up the lift, like this.....

--------------------
| (track) |
| |
| |
| |
|---------H--------|

see what i mean?[:D]

Post December 16th, 2003, 7:59 pm

oops, my drawing screwed up ummm........you get the idea though

Post December 16th, 2003, 8:33 pm

Not really I don't get it. HOw would that help a loop? maybe i'm just really air-headed now or you don't make sense right now [lol]

Post December 16th, 2003, 10:47 pm

like this, in this picture, you can see the wheel on the bottom of the train http://www.virtualmidway.com/rideimages/irondragon0.jpg
and if you can see it, there is a lock on the lift to keep the cars from swinging on here http://www.coasterphotos.com/SFAW/xlr8-2.htm
so all they would have to do is make some sort of holder for the lock and spread the ends so the wheel would make it into the lock, then it could make it without having to pull too many g's

Post December 16th, 2003, 11:25 pm
bockzilla User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 140.00 Points

The idea would work but it would be a serious jolt for riders. What I mean is -- if you have ever ridden any suspended coasters from arrow, after the final break and entry back into the station they have the ends of the center lock flared outward and when the cars enter they bang around a bit. If this type was used to enter the loop and at the speed that the train would be traveling, would really knock the riders around, not the mention the wear and tear on the cars, and center locking system.

Post December 16th, 2003, 11:31 pm

yes, ive been on iron dragon, but you could reduce it by putting a straight hill before it, like on revolution @ sfmm, that would give the cars a chance to level out a bit before going into it, but hey, its just a thought [|)] i think ill go to bed now

Post December 17th, 2003, 8:27 am

Points on hand: 3,307.00 Points

suspended coasters aren't even intended for inversions, so this IMO is a bad idea.

Post December 17th, 2003, 11:55 am
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Yeah, fair point, but it would be an entirely new ride type, not just suspended caoster that loops, it would be a suspended looper or something, so yeah suspended coasters aren't made for inversions, but a suspended looper would be, lol.

Post December 17th, 2003, 6:00 pm

Let us use something called our brain or imagination here IntaminFan397. Woodies wern't supposed to loop either but anything is feasible with a little engineering. Right?

Post December 17th, 2003, 9:00 pm

Points on hand: 4,300.00 Points

Wrong, if something is feasable it's going to be engineered. If something is not feasable, don't bother engiuneering it. Unless there's a breakthrugh which would make your idea super-cheap, simple and not risky, i can't see that happening. And noone's going to bother to come up with that concept because it's just not worth it. B&Ms inverters are already the choice over SLC and Suspended Coasters (considering arrow is no more anyway). I'd hate to be the one to market that design, because no park would invest in it.

However i came across a reallt cool concept once by a new company. It's called a cantilever coaster or soemthing like that. Try a google search on it.

Post December 17th, 2003, 10:53 pm

Points on hand: 2,937.00 Points

Post December 17th, 2003, 11:15 pm

Points on hand: 3,816.00 Points

Ow...that'd hurt...really bad. Imagine the cars swingin' and whippin' around the corkscrew.

Post December 18th, 2003, 12:02 am

imagine a heartline roll on a suspended coaster....i wouldnt be surprised if the cars snapped off, lol[lol]

Post December 18th, 2003, 2:05 am

Points on hand: 3,008.00 Points
#1: OUCH! that would hurt!

#2: Arrow is now S&S-Arrow so they still produce all that stuff.

Post December 18th, 2003, 4:01 pm

The point Is is that with modifications (and money) almost anything can be done. Let your mind let go of the original design of the freely singing ones and think of a controlled swing like gouldy said. Kind of like X but suspended and if it works any one will buy a coaster if it'll be popular, attact guests, and they can afford it.

Post December 18th, 2003, 7:40 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Yeah, i think the idea sounds pretty cool, i mean in theory it does work, but it would have to be tested to see how feasable it really is. But if i were an owner of a park, i think i would invest in it. maybe we should put the idea through to SLC or something, lol.

Post December 18th, 2003, 11:42 pm

Points on hand: 3,816.00 Points

if they were to control the swing, you may as well save the money and effort in swing control and just use really banked turns.

Next

Return to Off Topic Discussion