Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park News & Construction! Disney???s Flying Roller Coaster Concept

Disney???s Flying Roller Coaster Concept

Theme Park Construction And News Forum

Is this coaster system awesome?

Wow awesome! 8-)
44%
No. (Please describe why.)
33%
Yes and no. ;)
22%

Total votes : 9

Post October 21st, 2015, 9:51 am

Points on hand: 13,491.00 Points
Have you ever heard of a patent for Disney???s Flying Roller Coaster Concept? I was in fact, thinking of adding this thread. The "waiting for an elevator" like system does rock!

Source: http://www.coaster101.com/2015/10/01/disneys-flying-roller-coaster-concept/

What do you think? 8-)
-- I was happy to be with NL1 - [:')] --

Post October 21st, 2015, 9:57 am
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
Eh it's not a bad idea but I think the real manufacturers could come up with a better layout than Disney.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post October 21st, 2015, 10:28 am

Points on hand: 0.00 Points
Bank: 15,033.00 Points
Looks and sounds awesome, a really clever idea/design, although the tilt mechanism would need to stay- in case of an evacuation.

Post October 21st, 2015, 10:41 am
Dirk_Ermen User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 2,175.50 Points
Bank: 45,000.00 Points
The vertical load system is cool and such but how do you unload in case of evacuation? I assume all block brakes are still in a horizontal position. Not being able to tilt the seat in a vertical position, would make it quite the challenge to evacuate a train. Also the precision system on getting the train on the exact spot in the station, would take some great accuracy with a different weight of the train each time. Otherwise all catwalks can't expand to let guests load/unload. Let alone it probably would cost a lot of loading time with all these factors just to load/unload one train. Another problem I'm seeing would be the unloading in case of a technical breakdown and the catwalks are broken. I don't think you can unload guests safe with a 30+ft deep gap.

How cool the system looks on paper. I don't see any practical uses to it. With Disney's standard of high capacity and low downtime I don't see this system fitting in Disney any time soon.
Coastercount: 1410 (I've seen the world and it's horrid contraptions... @.@)
- Wood: 142
- Steel: 1268

Post October 21st, 2015, 10:49 am
herman116 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 7,471.00 Points
The article says it will save costs in maintenance but I think this concept will be more expensive to run. You'll need at least one operator at every station level (so at every car) to check the restraints. For the big crowds of a Disney park they probably also need an unloading station where they also need at least one operator at every level in case a restraint gets stuck. Also the floors for the loading and unloading stations will probably also be pretty expensive for maintenance The coaster concept seems nice and simple but everything around it is way more complex than a Vekoma or B&M.

EDIT:

Dirk_Ermen wrote:
Also the precision system on getting the train on the exact spot in the station, would take some great accuracy with a different weight of the train each time. Otherwise all catwalks can't expand to let guests load/unload.

I think this won't be a big problem, they could build in some kind of anti-rollback on the exact height as the platforms, lift the train to just a little bit above this anti-rollback and then let the train rest on it.

Return to Theme Park News & Construction!