Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park News & Construction! Blue World Approved for Sea World

Blue World Approved for Sea World

Theme Park Construction And News Forum

Post October 8th, 2015, 8:56 pm
TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 738.00 Points
Bank: 111,265.11 Points
Looks like Sea World got what they wanted (Blue World) approved! Good for them!

Post October 8th, 2015, 9:58 pm
Metazoanhaddock User avatar

Points on hand: 3,307.00 Points
Bank: 52,337.00 Points
>InB4 deere needs a new pair of pants
Head Moderator
Director, Structural Engineer - PEAK Amusements
Site Contest Judge (Supporting)
Chatroom Admin

Post October 8th, 2015, 10:00 pm
Mikey User avatar
Site Admin
Site Admin

Points on hand: 6,049.50 Points

When I was a kid growing up in Florida my mom would take me to the aquarium where I would watch the dolphins and sea lions perform. The place we went to was on the beach and the tank was connected to the Ocean by a long tunnel and a gate. The dolphins they trained would naturally come at feeding time which required them to perform and jump to get the fish. Once the show was over they would go back out to sea. The only dolphins they kept in the tank full time were ones that were sick or injured that they rescued. These were what my mom refereed to as the dysfunctional dolphins. They would always refuse to perform and just swim hopelessly at the bottom of the tank knowing that they would get fed no matter what.

To this day I have never visited another aquarium with dolphins in captivity that were as happy as the dolphins that could go back to sea every night. I have been to many aquariums over the years including those in Atlanta, Corpus Christi, Baltimore, Long Beach, and Santa Fe. Dolphins are small, and well they aren't big enough or hungry to come after people. But they are of similar intelligence to Killer Whales.

Seaworld is currently operating on a 1.75% net margin, is fighting several class action lawsuits which it is trying to consolidate into one case in Florida, and is still seeing a drop in attendance quarter to quarter which accounts for close to 62% of its revenue. All this after a documentary was released that causes public outcry about the treatment of whales and their trainers with a demand that they be released into the wild. A few years later, rather then listen to the people who aren't visiting your parks, and aren't driving the big chunk of revenue, you announce that you are going to spend a bunch of capex money and give the whales a few hundred feet more of tank space. So how are you changing the public perception when the root cause of the issue is not the size of the tank, but the fact they are kept in captivity?

They are keeping essentially an inbred killer whale that is capable of swimming hundreds of miles a day in a 300 ft tank that it can swim the entire length off in about five seconds. As a result of that it from time to time gets pissed off and munches on people. Perhaps they look to much like seals or the smell like the fish, maybe its being forced to do three shows a day. I really think Sea World needs to release the whales, spend the capex on rides and new attractions, and focus on increasing the habitat size of animals that are of a more manageable size and behavior.

On April 13, 2015, a purported class action was filed in the Superior Court of the State of California for the City and County of San Francisco against
SeaWorld Parks and Entertainment, Inc., captioned Marc Anderson, et. al., v. SeaWorld Parks and Entertainment, Inc., Case No. CGC-15-545292 (the "Anderson
Matter"). The putative class consists of all consumers within California who, within the past four years, purchased tickets to SeaWorld San Diego. On May 11,
2015, the plaintiffs filed a First Amended Class Action Complaint (the "Amended Complaint"). The Amended Complaint alleges causes of action under the
California False Advertising Law, California Unfair Competition Law and California Consumers Legal Remedies Act. Plaintiffs' claims are based on their
allegations that the Company misrepresented the physical living conditions and care and treatment of its killer whales, resulting in confusion or
misunderstanding among ticket purchasers, and omitted material facts regarding its killer whales with intent to deceive and mislead the plaintiff and
purported class members. The Amended Complaint seeks actual damages, equitable relief, attorneys' fees and costs. Based on Plaintiff's definition of the class,
the amount in controversy exceeds $5,000, but the liability exposure is speculative until the size of the class is determined (if certification is
granted at all). On May 14, 2015, the Company removed the case to the United States District Court for the Northern District of California, Case No.
15:cv-2172-SC. The case is in the preliminary stages and a response to the Amended Complaint has not yet been filed. On May 19, 2015, the plaintiffs filed
a motion to remand. This motion is set for hearing on August 28, 2015.

Post October 9th, 2015, 1:55 am
mkingy User avatar

Points on hand: 28,053.00 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points
Mikey wrote:
When I was a kid growing up in Florida my mom would take me to the aquarium where I would watch the dolphins and sea lions perform. The place we went to was on the beach and the tank was connected to the Ocean by a long tunnel and a gate. The dolphins they trained would naturally come at feeding time which required them to perform and jump to get the fish. Once the show was over they would go back out to sea. The only dolphins they kept in the tank full time were ones that were sick or injured that they rescued. These were what my mom refereed to as the dysfunctional dolphins. They would always refuse to perform and just swim hopelessly at the bottom of the tank knowing that they would get fed no matter what.

To this day I have never visited another aquarium with dolphins in captivity that were as happy as the dolphins that could go back to sea every night. I have been to many aquariums over the years including those in Atlanta, Corpus Christi, Baltimore, Long Beach, and Santa Fe. Dolphins are small, and well they aren't big enough or hungry to come after people. But they are of similar intelligence to Killer Whales.

Seaworld is currently operating on a 1.75% net margin, is fighting several class action lawsuits which it is trying to consolidate into one case in Florida, and is still seeing a drop in attendance quarter to quarter which accounts for close to 62% of its revenue. All this after a documentary was released that causes public outcry about the treatment of whales and their trainers with a demand that they be released into the wild. A few years later, rather then listen to the people who aren't visiting your parks, and aren't driving the big chunk of revenue, you announce that you are going to spend a bunch of capex money and give the whales a few hundred feet more of tank space. So how are you changing the public perception when the root cause of the issue is not the size of the tank, but the fact they are kept in captivity?

They are keeping essentially an inbred killer whale that is capable of swimming hundreds of miles a day in a 300 ft tank that it can swim the entire length off in about five seconds. As a result of that it from time to time gets pissed off and munches on people. Perhaps they look to much like seals or the smell like the fish, maybe its being forced to do three shows a day. I really think Sea World needs to release the whales, spend the capex on rides and new attractions, and focus on increasing the habitat size of animals that are of a more manageable size and behavior.

Completely agree on every point Mikey.

I have never heard of an aquarium connected to the sea by a tunnel - that is literally (in my eyes) the perfect way to conserve these animals. You're giving them free choice and maintaining their huge environment. Zoo's and Aquariums alike should strive to create a complete and diverse environment for animals and actually conserve them rather than them being "for show".
Coaster Count - 198
France 2019 Mini Trip Report

Post October 9th, 2015, 4:25 am
rcmaniac25 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 7,270.00 Points

I agree with what was said above, and also never heard of an aquarium connected to the sea. Though I question how they might keep them there for the whole "show".

My family enjoys going to SeaWorld. I go for the rides.

If the park was actually located closer to the ocean, I could see the tube as a possibility. Mid-Orlando? Probably not. Correct action should be to release the whales. They'd take an initial hit, but also get some mildly beneficial publicity.

Post October 9th, 2015, 4:44 am
Paradox User avatar

Points on hand: 7,113.00 Points
Bank: 10,198.60 Points
>inb4 deere complains that you're a SeaWorld h8r
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:
Just don't employ stupid people and you're golden.

That's like finding a Waffle House with no white trash in it.

Post October 9th, 2015, 10:45 am

Points on hand: 13,491.00 Points
This plan is even better than the typical "catch and release" method, because a tunnel connected to the sea sounds like the device to carry out one amazing "let sea creatures in and release" action.

:)
-- I was happy to be with NL1 - [:')] --

Post October 9th, 2015, 4:22 pm
Mikey User avatar
Site Admin
Site Admin

The latest twist on this story is the California Coastal Commission tacked on a bunch of restrictions to Sea Worlds Blue Ocean approval that would effectively eliminate the possibility for it to continue to house whales on a long term basis. If they build the tanks, they will loose the right to breed and hold whales in captivity. On the one hand, if they don't build the tanks the perception of SeaWorld will probably be further degraded, if they do build the tanks, they will have to retool the park for another marquee attraction within the next ten years or sooner if the whales are at risk of dying off or being to old to perform.

SeaWorld Entertainment, Inc. Announces it will Review Options Regarding its Blue World Project

SeaWorld Entertainment, Inc. (NYSE: SEAS) (the "Company") announced today that it will review its options in light of the California Coastal Commission's (the "Commission") approval of the Company's Blue World Project with certain conditions. Those conditions include prohibiting breeding or transporting the whales at the facility.

"While we appreciate the opportunity to present the Blue World Project to the Commission, and are pleased that the Commission recognizes the benefits of the planned expansion, we are disappointed with the conditions they have placed on their approval," said Joel Manby, President and Chief Executive Officer of the Company. "Depriving these social animals of the natural and fundamental right to reproduce is inhumane and we do not support this condition."

Named the Blue World Project because of its size and scope, this first-of-its-kind killer whale environment is planned to have a total water volume of 10 million gallons, nearly double that of the existing facility.

About SeaWorld Entertainment, Inc.

SeaWorld Entertainment, Inc. (NYSE: SEAS) is a leading theme park and entertainment company delivering personal, interactive and educational experiences that blend imagination with nature and enable its customers to celebrate, connect with and care for the natural world we share. The Company owns or licenses a portfolio of globally recognized brands including SeaWorld(R), Shamu(R) and Busch Gardens(R). Over its more than 50-year history, the Company has built a diversified portfolio of 11 destination and regional theme parks that are grouped in key markets across the United States, many of which showcase its one-of-a-kind zoological collection of approximately 89,000 marine and terrestrial animals. The Company's theme parks feature a diverse array of rides, shows and other attractions with broad demographic appeal which deliver memorable experiences and a strong value proposition for its guests.

SeaWorld Entertainment, Inc. is one of the world's foremost zoological organizations and a global leader in animal welfare, training, husbandry and veterinary care. The Company collectively cares for what it believes is one of the largest zoological collections in the world and has helped lead advances in the care of animals. The Company also rescues and rehabilitates marine and terrestrial animals that are ill, injured, orphaned or abandoned, with the goal of returning them to the wild. The SeaWorld rescue team has helped more than 26,000 animals in need over the last 50 years.

SOURCE SeaWorld Entertainment, Inc.

clarkson_bombshell.jpg

Post October 9th, 2015, 5:53 pm

Points on hand: 443.00 Points
Bank: 3,797.00 Points

Top gear <3
Favorite Coasters- MF, GateKeeper, El Toro, Kingda Ka, TTD, Maverick, Nitro, Raptor, Hydra

Post October 9th, 2015, 11:15 pm

Points on hand: 4,800.70 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points

^Too bad it all ended over Jeremy Clarkson freaking punching a guy over catering (or something of the sort)
It's been a long time
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCErEzTkqrD55UEiIiiKsKmg

Post October 10th, 2015, 10:39 pm

Points on hand: 13,491.00 Points
^^ Top Gear indeed is popular, but we have not seen any real rides related to that program! Would be really cool! Definately something to check out!

:D
-- I was happy to be with NL1 - [:')] --

Post October 25th, 2015, 4:25 pm
Mikey User avatar
Site Admin
Site Admin

SeaWorld Entertainment Inc. wrote:
SeaWorld Entertainment, Inc. (NYSE: SEAS) announced today that the company intends to pursue legal action against the California Coastal Commission for its overreaching condition that would ban killer whale breeding at SeaWorld San Diego. Animal welfare is governed by federal and state laws that do not fall within the jurisdiction of the California Coastal Commission's appointed board. The vote by the Commission came during the course of its ultimate approval of the Blue World Project at SeaWorld San Diego. George Soneff, Jack S. Yeh and Michael Berger of Manatt, Phelps & Phillips, LLP have been retained to represent SeaWorld in this challenge.

"As a regulatory board charged with managing coastal development and related land-use decisions, the Coastal Commission went way beyond its jurisdiction and authority when it banned breeding by killer whales at SeaWorld. By imposing broad new jurisdiction over all future SeaWorld marine animal projects, as well as aquarium projects elsewhere in the state, the Commission has overstepped both federal and California law," said Joel Manby, President and Chief Executive Officer. "It simply defies common sense that a straightforward land-use permit approval would turn into a ban on animal husbandry practices - an area in which the Commissioners have no education, training or expertise. To say that this is a dubious decision with no legal basis is an understatement, which is why we must and will challenge the Commission's decision."

SeaWorld is strictly regulated by the federal government, with frequent random inspections by federal veterinarians and other officials. The company passes strict licensing requirements every year and is accredited by organizations including the Association of Zoos and Aquariums (AZA). According to the AZA, SeaWorld is "meeting or exceeding the highest standard of animal care and welfare of any zoological organization in the world."

Post October 25th, 2015, 5:08 pm
TheArchitect User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 501,147.00 Points
Bank: 498,048.00 Points
Bit late reading through this thread; but Mikey has nailed it. This part in particular:

Mikey wrote:
They are keeping essentially an inbred killer whale that is capable of swimming hundreds of miles a day in a 300 ft tank that it can swim the entire length off in about five seconds.

I think mankind has really lost touch with nature altogether, but it's nice when some shreds of hope remain. It's going to be interesting to see how all of this unfolds.

Return to Theme Park News & Construction!