Board index Off Topic Board Off Topic Discussion Buying new PC to max NL2. Advice?

Buying new PC to max NL2. Advice?

Here, anything goes. Talk about anything that you would like to talk about!

Post February 8th, 2016, 4:14 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 2,833.00 Points
Bank: 25,088.00 Points

I've been nursing 10 FPS on NL2 for a couple of years now, and dealing with random blue screens every couple of hours that just conveniently happen right before I'm about to save the previous hour's work. It's quite an unejoyable process, for me, producing anything in NL2. I have still been doing it, but nothing I've done in the last couple of years has been really good enough to share (including the one ride I actually did upload haha).

But the time has come where I can no longer abide by this hunk of crap laptop, and I'm going to set myself up with a decent desktop, now that I also have an actual room where a computer can go as well.

So... not being particularly up on this sort of thing, I was hoping to find some advice from the rest of you on what's important when specing this up.

Basically, I want to have no trouble maxing all the settings on NL2, and still getting 30-60fps. I've never actually seen NL2 running at over about 15fps haha.

Budget is going to be about ??800 ($1,200)(or under!), but that would have to include monitor(s) and all peripherals.

Cheers!

Post February 8th, 2016, 4:16 pm
Paradox User avatar

Points on hand: 7,113.00 Points
Bank: 10,198.60 Points
Here's a great idea! Give me the money so I can get a good comp and run NL2 without trouble!!!!
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:
Just don't employ stupid people and you're golden.

That's like finding a Waffle House with no white trash in it.

Post February 8th, 2016, 4:22 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

It's been trouble enough getting that together this year, so what I think I might do instead, is buy myself a computer :P
Last edited by gouldy on February 9th, 2016, 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post February 8th, 2016, 5:49 pm

Points on hand: 6,575.00 Points

Built my own pc (waaaaaay cheaper) and can run full detail easily.
pc.jpg
Cedar Point
2008-2015
--2015--
Beach Band- June-August
https://www.facebook.com/TrumpetDMR

Post February 8th, 2016, 5:57 pm

Points on hand: 2,091.00 Points

Building your own computer is the best way to enjoy NL2 at a lower price.
If you do build your own computer, invest most of your money on the video card, and processor

Post February 8th, 2016, 5:58 pm

Points on hand: 4,118.00 Points

if you want to run nl2 at full tilt on a lot of parks i suggest looking at an nvidia gtx 980/980ti and an i7 processor (i use the 17-4790k). the problem is if you want a pc like that you will need a bit more cash, especially if you need monitors e.c.t. my rig cost around $2900 (including 2 monitors and speakers) and i can run auger at about 20fps on max settings, and most normal parks get 60 most of the time
Now usually there would be a banner image here, but i cant add one. have some random text instead

Post February 8th, 2016, 7:55 pm

Points on hand: 2,153.00 Points
I5 6500k and a 970 graphics card with 16gb of ram and boom you have ultra on nl2

Post February 9th, 2016, 3:20 am
mkingy User avatar

Points on hand: 28,053.00 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points
gouldy wrote:
It's been trouble enough getting that together this year, so what I think I might do instead, is buy myself a computer :P

Build it Dan, it's like Lego but the pieces are really easy to find.

As a general thought - don't bottleneck your system - but consider its far easier to upgrade a graphics card in the future than upgrade a CPU (due to changing architecture).

Definitely concentrate on graphics card and a huge amount of RAM for NL and games in general then stick in a decent i5 processor. I believe it's still the case that i7 processors aren't really worth the extra cash for the extra performance unless you plan on doing a lot of processor intensive tasks such as video editing (or host a minecraft server i guess).
Coaster Count - 198
France 2019 Mini Trip Report

Post February 9th, 2016, 4:19 am
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

I will definitely look to build it. Looking around though, it still looks like I might need to save up a little more to get what I want, or divert funds from another saving pile. We save a decent amount each month, but you know how it is, saving for a wardrobe, saving for a bed, saving for carpet in this room, saving for carpet in that room (the list is endless at the moment haha) - and new computer for Daniel is not really near the top of the list :lol:

Post February 9th, 2016, 4:19 am
mkingy User avatar

Points on hand: 28,053.00 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points
gouldy wrote:
I will definitely look to build it. Looking around though, it still looks like I might need to save up a little more to get what I want, or divert funds from another saving pile. We save a decent amount each month, but you know how it is, saving for a wardrobe, saving for a bed, saving for carpet in this room, saving for carpet in that room (the list is endless at the moment haha) - and new computer for Daniel is not really near the top of the list :lol:

Saving to get to Liseberg :P
Coaster Count - 198
France 2019 Mini Trip Report

Return to Off Topic Discussion