Board index Roller Coaster Games Roller Coaster Tycoon 1, 2 & 3 CK Plays The RCTW Alpha - A Review

CK Plays The RCTW Alpha - A Review

Discuss anything related to the Roller Coaster Tycoon 1, 2 and 3.

Post April 1st, 2016, 10:41 am
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
I will be constantly editing and adding to this post as time goes on.

So I booted up the game. I was quite thrilled to see that the main menu had a loading screen despite not being animated. The main menu is well organized and has a nice marching band kind of theme. The game carries on the new trending of offering different glaringly obvious of advice. The menu screen and the game overall has a very "SimCity" or "Maxis" feel to it is that makes sense.

------Winding Wilds-----

I decided to have my go at the game in the first scenario titled "Winding Wilds". The goal of the scenario is to make a successful park even more successful for the investors. It's good to see that the game is incorporating the crippling satanism that comes with a business degree for added realism. An overview is shown below.

Paths:
In overview, the pathing system is quite nice. Circular and angled paths are allowed, which helps to break free from the fierce gridline structure the past RCT games had. There are many different path types, all of which are detailed. There are large paths, medium paths, and small paths. Large paths can be treated as 3 across, medium as 2 across, and small as what we're used to. All three are shown in the overview picture above. One interesting feature the game has the option of adding plazas, which are fat squares of paths with benches and various other objects within them. One thing I will note is that stalls are no longer "attached" to paths on the side like a magnet, you must always make a path to the stall. Another thing to note is that benches, lamps, and trash cans are usually placed OFF the path to the side now instead of on it. These offset objects and a plaza are shown in the image below where I butchered paint and PrtSc.
I haven't played the game enough to notice any horrendous pathfinding AI issues, but I'll edit this later if I have to. I have faith this won't be an issues.

Path construction is eerily similar to SimCity 5, where you click a spot and then a linear or curved path is plopped. One difference is that you can no longer right click to delete something, you must head down to the bulldozer to delete objects. The games does however highlight the object to be deleted in red, so I will give it credit for not allowing me to accidentally delete an object. Paths automatically gradually rise and add railings if topography is present. I decided to use the curved path tool to make a path along the river and connect sections of the park on a diagonal. The process to build a path is shown below.

You click the path type, click the origin, and then if you want a curved path you click where the white nub thing is first, and then the path bends as you drag the cursor. You can flub the path a bit if you're picky, but overall it works well and it's not too frustrating. To delete a tree, you simply select the bulldozer and the path window will stay open, delete the tree, and then carry on. Objects are not automatically deleted like in RCT2.

Flat Rides:
I decided to plop down some thrill rides since the park is missing these aside from a Larson Loop. I built an IntaShit drop tower, which has a preselected height (would be nice if this was customizable) and then was congratulated on "building your first Thrill ride". Thanks game. I'm glad adding a ride is a major accomplishment. I'll be able to get a journalism degree at this rate in no time.
The ride selection menu includes a nice picture of each ride and it was easily navigated. I was able to rotate the ride to fit between my path and the river easily. I had to cancel building to delete some scenery because right clicking was taken away, but aside from that it was painless.

The entrance and exit are clearly marked, as well as a very obvious "hey idiot no path is connected" style-warning. Each flat ride includes an operator booth that may or may not be located near the ride. The booth includes an employee who is either a white brunette, Jamaican immigrant worker guy who looks like his soul is being crushed by the racists of the Midwest in true Cedar Fair fashion, white blonde, or a white guy. They random put one hand in the air and otherwise don't do much. I hope that one day a game will be able to capture the obligatory "my first day off in 13 days was on a tuesday so I got totally hammered last night and I'm working entrance with massive sunglasses to hide my hangover" employee, however that is a distant dream. A smiling brunette is pictured below. She must be new and not realize she'll clean the queue more than she runs the ride because it's an IntaShit. I build a little queue and exit for the ride. Then I realized I should set the inspection times to ten minutes for each ride so I'm not paying the mechanics to sit on their ass all day so I did that. I named the ride "Butt Slammer 9000" and noticed they forgot to include a blinking cursor to let the user know that "Drop Zone 1" was able to be changed. The typical, excitement, intensity, and nausea ratings remain from previous games, but a new one called "safety" was added. We'll see how the Intashit progresses through time in that department. I was assuming safety was another way of displaying the reliability, but that's a separate statistic.

Staff:
In this game you build staff booths for each type, and then hire x number of that type until the booth is full. I like this system more as it's slightly more realistic, and creates fun "hide the staff building" (or don't lol) opportunities. I decided to build a mechanics booth next to the IntaShit, so they at least don't need to walk far. The large booth I picked can hold up to ten mechanics. Notice that you can't magnetically attach stalls to the path from earlier. The game includes a medic staff as a new feature, however I don't see why they're needed as the game has no fat midwesterners that "don't like water" and then wonder why they pass out after exerting more physical force in the 2 hours they've spent lumbering around the park in the sun than they've spent all of the previous calendar year. It would be cute to see new employees as they called 911 to progress from actually caring about the park guest that passes out in line to within 2 hours going "yeah some dumbass didn't drink water again and he'll be hard to lift bye". I have no idea what the medical staff does yet since all of my construction has been while the game is paused. The mechanic building window and hiring system is shown below:

I added some scenery to the area. It was nice when I added a path arch that it automatically snapped perpendicular to the path. The scenery hitboxes are also very forgiving, and everything was easily found and rotated properly. This menu is organized well. Another thing to note is that each flat has a radius where scenery is "effective" around it, this ring is automatically shown and it's a nice feature.

I then unpaused the game as I had run out of money to explore other options. The game warned me of this lack of money 9000 times.

I am currently trying to figure out how to get a janitor over to an area that looks like a drug overdose occurred. Vomit errywhar! No idea how to do this. I've tried clicking on the janitor booth to no avail, and clicking on a janitor does nothing. Hopefully this is addressed son.

While dicking around I've discovered the "Heat Menu", which displays the concentration of themes, and the concentration of cash flow. It's again very SimCity 5-like in presentation (but it functions). I assumed before I looked at the scale that the colors meant the opposite of what they do but that's okay. Picture of this below. It looks very useful.

Wooden Coaster 4 on the right appears to be my most profitable attraction. It is a continous curving, rising and falling, even oppositely-banked at times chainlift. Seriously. I'll make a separate post on the roller coasters later because.....just wow.

Edit: In the middle of building a coaster a pop-up came up saying I finished the objectives, and then I quit to the main menu without it asking me to save. Thanks for repeating the same ass feature from RCT3 before the expansions fixed it. Enough of this for now. I'll comment on the coaster building later.

Coaster Building:
I think the image below sums it up quite well. I don't know where to begin on this and it'll take me awhile to update this:

And now I broke the game trying to finish my roller coaster. The move tool allowed me to move the whole thing out of bounds aside from the station and it won't finish lol. Game is definitely in alpha still :/
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post April 1st, 2016, 7:15 pm
Paradox User avatar

Points on hand: 7,113.00 Points
Bank: 10,198.60 Points
This is beautiful
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:
Just don't employ stupid people and you're golden.

That's like finding a Waffle House with no white trash in it.

Post April 1st, 2016, 10:03 pm
True Addicts
True Addicts

Hooray someone cared. I demolished my wooden ride because it was rekt by a glitch. I can only build a woodie or a B&M hyper now, and I'm too lazy to make one today. Tomorrow after a field trip to an area so love by pollution that it has groundwater with a pH of 13 I'll try again. In the mean time.....

So that's my wooden ride that I accidentally moved out of bounds that I cannot finish now. With some patience it is possible to make something that looks reasonably intelligent looking, but god damn that is a finky coaster builder. The supports would look less dumb if the far turn wasn't over the parking lot. I have no idea what the stats are but it ran and the rides seem to retain their speed too well. It would be nice if I wasn't forced to use TWELVE CARS PER TRAIN on a wooden coaster. The one in Parkitect is far superior.

Also as far as pathing goes, here is my attempt at a grid. The "squares" in the middle of wooden stuff surrounded by paths are the previously mentioned plazas. I tried to connect those to a fat path. It ended poorly. This game likes random triangles more than the Pontiac automobile line did

This control panel for the latex fetish coated looking bucking bull ride has the same number of buttons as a 12 million dollar B&M standup coaster. Good to know they included a ride for the European audience that still allows "haha you fell and are stupid" as an event, instead of allowing a bunch of bloodthirsty lawyers to descend. Snarkyness aside, I'll give them credit for making panels aside from this one that actually look pretty legit.

I added a premade B&M hyper coaster from the game's pre-made track selections. It's clearly inspired from the Lake Compounce 2017 B&M giga coaster. A very realistic fine piece of engineering.

In all seriousness this looks like someone who would vote for Rick Santorum made it. I get that it's an alpha, but made in a hurry is an understatement.

Post April 2nd, 2016, 10:14 am

Points on hand: 13,491.00 Points
Which do you think will be easier to build coaster tracks, Planet Coaster or this one? :)
-- I was happy to be with NL1 - [:')] --

Post April 2nd, 2016, 4:57 pm
Paradox User avatar

I lost it at the Lake Compounce 2017 giga coaster
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:

Post April 2nd, 2016, 5:59 pm
True Addicts
True Addicts

You should see the B&M floorlesses with no inversions.

Post April 2nd, 2016, 10:20 pm
Mikey User avatar
Site Admin
Site Admin

Points on hand: 6,049.50 Points

Post April 2nd, 2016, 10:25 pm
Turbo User avatar

Points on hand: 5,506.00 Points
Bank: 21,857.68 Points

Korbles Steam Reviews wrote:
Okay, as a huge fan of the previous games there is a massive gap between old rct and new rct. If you were a fan of old rct do not buy this game. That's the early TL:DR.

Here are the likes
1. Terrain and water editor is nice
2. music isn't bad
3. more coaster editor customization

and dislikes
1. coaster editor is far too complex for average user, even above average users. See below for more details.
2. takes way too long to load sandbox mode. SANDBOX MODE!
3. can't right click to delete things such as pathways
4. MUST move camera with arrow keys, no more mouse movement
5. None of the coaster styles have relevant pictures to determine what they are, only stick figure sillouhetes.
6. you don't have a setting to remove cars from your trains. To add you simply click on where the extra cars should be
7. Terrain editor wont change the already existing support height leaving terrain indents that are quite ugly
8. Scenery isn't separated by group anymore. Oregon Trail Wagons apparently fit in with UFO's and pumpkins.

Here is my report of my experience on coastercrazy.com's forum skype chat regarding the game:
- alright rctw gimme what you got
- the music reminds me of a mix between sims 3 and a merry go round
- really not sure why a sandbox mode took MY $3000 custom build 2 minutes to load
- why can't I right click to delete things?
- can't move the camera with mouse apparently even with the highly unnecessary "move tool". you need to use the arrow keys, something never needed before. WHAT AN AWESOME NEW FEATUJRE GUISE! [/sarcasm]
- None of the coaster styles have relevant pictures to determine what they are, only stick figure sillouhetes.
- wow the coaster editor... take everything you knew about rct and throw it out the window.
- make a kiddie coaster. A good looking kiddie coaster. What was a 3 minute build is now 15 minutes.
- this coaster editor is way too complex for any casual or even a step above that user
- it's so customizable but that doesn't mean better. Sure it'll be able to make somewhat realistic coasters even WITHOUT A STRAIGHT TRACK SETTING AT ALL but it won't be recieved well by anyone that wants a casual non stressful experience.
- as far as track is concerned imagine a spline editor that automatically detects radius
- they took a simple game idea and added infinitely more steps
- on the bright side making death coasters is way easier
- For extra ride settings, you don't have a setting to remove cars from your trains. To add you simply click on where the extra cars should be.
- THIS IS NOT ROLLER COASTER TYCOON!
- I love this new terrain editor I do but it wont change the already existing support height leaving terrain indents that are quite ugly.
- The water tool works very well and something I really like.
- Scenery isn't separated by group anymore. Oregon Trail Wagons apparently fit in with UFO's and pumpkins.
- Overall a very sub par experience, definitely should not be named under roller coaster tycoon.

Posted October 31, 2015.
Coaster Count: 582 // Top Five: 1. Helix 2. Nemesis 3. Big Bad Wolf 4. Boulder Dash 5. Balder

Coasterkidmwm wrote:
4 G's to the taint was a bit much for me because I'm not a power bottom like Turbo

Post April 2nd, 2016, 10:37 pm
Paradox User avatar

Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:

Post April 2nd, 2016, 10:54 pm
True Addicts
True Addicts

Mikey wrote:

Well Mikey, in its current state it functions better than SimCity 5. So it has that going for it. I see an attempt at Monument Valley in the background. Shame the game doesn't feature the same amount of black widows spider that would hopefully bite and kill the in-game children.

This family coaster is a flat ride.

And this pre=-made B&M flying coaster has uphill brakes and a spiral lift. I think Zamperla entered the Jersey Shore and MTV couldn't cover up the rape cases. Also all premade tracks have 1 train. My favorite is the woodies with 12 car trains:

I feel like the problem it has is that it suffers from SimCity 5 syndrome. If you ignore the roller coaster visuals, everything else like the menus, organization (for the most part), visualizations, music, staffing organization (I really like the "staff building" idea), and some data features (like the earlier mentioned "heat map" that shows where profits are concentrated) are great, it's just too "corporate". In its current alpha, my one attempt at showing that it's possible to make a neat realistic ride is possible got corrupted when I tried to move the whole ride and instead moved the station (and part of the ride) out of park property, effectively bricking the ride. I do feel it's possible to make a realistic ride, just it takes like HOURS and you're better off in No Limits for that, where it'll actually function better and look 1000000000 times better.

It's kind of an unfair comparison because unlike SimCity THE GAME FUNCTIONS despite being an an early access alpha. Also it's possible to buy land in this game unlike SimCity 5, so the developers at least understand that people like making big things.

Honestly though, I have no opinion on Planet Coaster since I can't afford it and I preordered RCTW the day it was basically announced not knowing any better in 2015. You can't make grids easily, which makes my eye twitch, and the coasters are ass. Also when you alpha has all of the B&M's, wooden coasters, a spinning coaster, and an IntaShit accelerator DON'T TEASE ME WITH "STANDUP COASTER" AND MAKE IT THE GODDAMNED TOGO. NOBODY LIKES OR WANTS TO BUILD A TOGO. Buy Parkitect.

Paradox wrote:

I hate children, virtual and real.

Post April 3rd, 2016, 12:38 am

Points on hand: 483.00 Points
Bank: 19,590.00 Points
I REALLY want to build a Togo in Planet coaster when I buy the 74 dollar early bird alpha edition one day. Plus lots of jet coasters and make a German funfair style park of just flat rides and put a pointless jet coaster around it.

Post April 3rd, 2016, 7:59 am
Mr. Freeze User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 32.00 Points
Bank: 4,860.00 Points
Coasterkidmwm wrote:

Paradox wrote:

I hate children, virtual and real.

same here

Post April 3rd, 2016, 11:55 pm
Turbo User avatar

Found this. Relevant to the review of RCTW.

Coaster Count: 582 // Top Five: 1. Helix 2. Nemesis 3. Big Bad Wolf 4. Boulder Dash 5. Balder

Coasterkidmwm wrote:
4 G's to the taint was a bit much for me because I'm not a power bottom like Turbo

Post April 4th, 2016, 3:57 am

Points on hand: 13,491.00 Points
^^ I think that emotional shouts in this game have neat echoes! :)
-- I was happy to be with NL1 - [:')] --

Post November 17th, 2016, 2:27 pm
Turbo User avatar

Bump from CC Skype Chat

Can we get an update port to this CK? I know you're giving the game a full shot and I'd love to see a finalized review

Coasterkidmwm wrote:

Return to Roller Coaster Tycoon 1, 2 & 3