Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park Trip Reports Paradox's Summer Trip ADVICE NEEDED!

Paradox's Summer Trip ADVICE NEEDED!

Visited a theme park and have a wild time?!? Post your trip report here and tell us all about it!

Post July 27th, 2016, 1:50 pm
Paradox User avatar

Points on hand: 7,113.00 Points
Bank: 10,198.60 Points
Hello all. I am leaving this Friday on my vacation and will be hitting up three parks for the first time and could use some tips on where to ride, where to eat, etc. Thanks for any advice given, The parks I will be visiting are:

Kings Dominion (1 day)

Carowinds (1 day with fast lane)

Busch Gardens Williamsburg (2 days)
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:
Just don't employ stupid people and you're golden.

That's like finding a Waffle House with no white trash in it.

Post July 27th, 2016, 2:50 pm
VF15 User avatar
News Writer
News Writer

Points on hand: 10,818.00 Points
At Carowinds, if they aren't assigning seats, try to ride Intimidator in or near the back row. The front of the train offers little to no airtime, while the back has some decent floater.

Post July 28th, 2016, 1:32 am

Points on hand: 9,697.00 Points
My advice would be to spend two days at Kings Dominion, two days at Carowinds, and skip Busch Gardens altogether.
X2 ??? Intimidator 305 ??? Millennium Force ??? Iron Rattler ??? El Toro ??? Fury 325 ??? Maverick ??? Skyrush ??? Twisted Timbers ??? Voyage

Post July 28th, 2016, 2:13 am

Points on hand: 5,701.00 Points
It's been years since I visited these parks (visited all three in 2010), but here's what I'd say...

Kings Dominion: As tempting as it will be to rush straight to Intimidator 305, don't. Instead, go directly to Volcano and do that, then Avalanche (if open...back in 2010 it didn't open with the park), then Flight of Fear, then Intimidator 305. After that, head back to The Grove and go from there. Wait until the afternoon to do Dominator as the line drops to about 1/3 of what it was in the morning. Grizzly is best in the back, all other major coasters are better in the front in my opinion. The waterpark here is my favorite in the Cedar Fair chain, but if you have one day it probably isn't worth the time to do it. This park also has a pretty good flat ride collection. Unless it has changed since 2010, food here is pretty much what you'd find in any Cedar Fair park so just eat wherever.

Carowinds: If you're purchasing Fast Lane, the order of attractions won't matter much here. However, it isn't really necessary...the park can usually be completed in about 2/3 of a day unless you want a ton of re-rides. Nighthawk is the only coaster that regularly gets lines over 20 minutes, so do that first. I haven't ridden Fury 325, but those I know who have all say it is a top five in the US. Intimidator is very temperamental...I rode four times on my visit and got everything from the best ride I've experienced on a B&M hyper to below average rides with little airtime, so try to ride several times in different seats. On everything else (except possibly Fury 325), I'd opt for the front. On Hurler, make certain you do not ride a wheel seat as that ride is rough.

Busch Gardens Williamsburg: Even though this park has changed a lot since I visited, I really doubt you'll need two days here. I did a full day visit on a Saturday and that was plenty of time for the park. This park does staggered openings, so just follow the pattern. Tempesto has limited capacity, but everything else at this park has such good operations that lines are rarely more than 30 minutes on weekdays. Apollo's Chariot is best in the back, the other B&Ms and Loch Ness Monster are best in the front. Make use of the Train and Skyride for transport as they let you avoid the most hilly parts of the park. Also be sure to check out some of the shows here...Celtic Fyre is probably the best of them. For food, this park has a lot of good options with each country presenting unique offerings. If I remember correctly, I got lunch at Trapper's Smokehouse and dinner at La Cucina...both were good but the smokehouse was the better of the two.
Coaster Count: 535 (114 wood, 444 steel); Park Count: 110
Top 5 Wood: El Toro, Voyage, Thunderhead, Outlaw Run, Boulder Dash
Top 5 Steel: Superman the Ride, Fury 325, Millennium Force, X2, Intimidator 305

Post July 28th, 2016, 4:21 am

Points on hand: 13,491.00 Points
I wish for you to create your own "Fury 325" history! Go feel everything about that steelie! :D
-- I was happy to be with NL1 - [:')] --

Post July 28th, 2016, 1:50 pm
Paradox User avatar

tiepilot35 wrote:
My advice would be to spend two days at Kings Dominion, two days at Carowinds, and skip Busch Gardens altogether.

No I've never been to BGW before and I'd love to try out the great array of coasters they have to offer. I've never been on a dive coaster before and I haven't been on many inverts. If anything, KD is the park I'd consider dropping the most since other than I305, nothing there stands out to me.

rcdude thanks so much for the advice it will help a lot. I want to spend 2 days at BGW because my family wants to and I'd like to have an extra day just for fun lol.
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:

Post July 28th, 2016, 3:03 pm

Points on hand: 5,701.00 Points
Paradox wrote:
rcdude thanks so much for the advice it will help a lot. I want to spend 2 days at BGW because my family wants to and I'd like to have an extra day just for fun lol.

You're welcome. If your family wants 2 days at BGW, then that's a good reason to do it. While I haven't visited it, if you're ticket includes Water Country and you're a waterpark person at all it may be worth spending some time there on the second day as I hear that is a pretty good one (though it is a little ways from the park, so it may not be worth it).

tiepilot35 wrote:

I missed this before, but why? I'd consider BGW the least drop worthy of these three parks. If you were going strictly for coasters or were on a tight budget I would understand, but BGW is by far the nicest of the three parks overall (that said, Kings Dominion was my favorite of the three in 2010, but with all the improvement the others have gotten that is likely no longer the case). Personally I'd drop Carowinds if I had to drop one due to location and attraction selection, but all three are quality parks and well worth visiting for a first-timer.
Last edited by rcdude on July 28th, 2016, 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coaster Count: 535 (114 wood, 444 steel); Park Count: 110
Top 5 Wood: El Toro, Voyage, Thunderhead, Outlaw Run, Boulder Dash
Top 5 Steel: Superman the Ride, Fury 325, Millennium Force, X2, Intimidator 305

Post July 28th, 2016, 3:06 pm

Points on hand: 9,697.00 Points
I was being dramatic, sorry. Those beemers are actually fairly high up in quality in their respective types. Alpengeist is so god damn huge. Loch Ness is really neat and definitely one of Arrow's best custom looper designs.

I would pay to go to Kings Dominion if Intimidator 305 was the only thing on that plot of land and you had to park and walk a mile across a grassy field.
X2 ??? Intimidator 305 ??? Millennium Force ??? Iron Rattler ??? El Toro ??? Fury 325 ??? Maverick ??? Skyrush ??? Twisted Timbers ??? Voyage

Post August 1st, 2016, 9:58 pm
Paradox User avatar

Visited KD yesterday and got on all coasters (except Hurler) with rerides on all that I wanted just in time before the thunderstorms hit around 8:30. Had an awesome day, I really like this park, it's much better than SFNE. Full report will come after vacation is over but I can say now that I305 is AMAZING! The minute I hit the brakes I knew that this ride would be my number 1 and it definitely lived up to the hype! I can't wait to ride Fury this week because apparently it is better.
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:

Post August 2nd, 2016, 10:52 am

Points on hand: 6,869.00 Points
Boulder Dash is better.
1.Boulder Dash | 2.Legend(HW) | 3.Beast | 4.Ravine Flyer II | 5.Intimdator 305 | 6.Phoenix | 7.Twisted Timbers | 8.Wicked Cyclone | 9.Thunderhead | 10.Storm Chaser

Post August 2nd, 2016, 6:05 pm
Paradox User avatar

devilsrule911 wrote:
Boulder Dash is better.

I know. I305 is my number 1 steel, but BD is my number 1 wood and overall and always will be!
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:

Post August 3rd, 2016, 3:08 pm

Points on hand: 609.00 Points

This isn't a lot, but you must ride Fury in the front seat at least once. The power and wind you feel in the front are so different from the other rows that you can't miss it.
it is I, your average at best hand builder, Chase
Goldensnake1 wrote:
Banned for agreeing with CG Coasters.

Post August 3rd, 2016, 6:46 pm
Paradox User avatar

CG Coasters wrote:
This isn't a lot, but you must ride Fury in the front seat at least once. The power and wind you feel in the front are so different from the other rows that you can't miss it.

I have fast lane plus so that shouldn't be a problem lol. I've been told the front is the best so I will definitely ride it multiple times there!
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:

Post August 15th, 2016, 6:15 am
Paradox User avatar

I got back home yesterday and will put up my report for KD soon!
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:

Post August 17th, 2016, 3:40 am

Points on hand: 13,491.00 Points
Okay we're looking forward to it. 8-)
-- I was happy to be with NL1 - [:')] --

Return to Theme Park Trip Reports