Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park News & Construction! Electric Eel - Sky Rocket II for SeaWorld San Diego 2018

Electric Eel - Sky Rocket II for SeaWorld San Diego 2018

Theme Park Construction And News Forum

XLR8R User avatar
CoasterCrazy Media
CoasterCrazy Media

Points on hand: 3,273.01 Points
Looks like SWSD will get another coaster for 2018.

Storm Chaser | Intimidator 305 | Lightning Run | Twisted Colossus | Maverick | El Toro | Millennium Force | Xcelerator | El Loco | Magnum XL-200
Coaster Count: 154 - Last Credit: Ragin' Cajun (Six Flags America)

Post December 21st, 2016, 10:42 am
Dirk_Ermen User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 2,175.50 Points
Bank: 45,000.00 Points
They pretty much need it. The park barely has anything to do...
Coastercount: 1410 (I've seen the world and it's horrid contraptions... @.@)
- Wood: 142
- Steel: 1268

Post December 22nd, 2016, 2:30 am

Points on hand: 13,491.00 Points
^^ Inta-MegaLite, please, because that also looks like a freakin' wild surfer! :D
-- I was happy to be with NL1 - [:')] --

Post December 22nd, 2016, 8:56 pm
VF15 User avatar
News Writer
News Writer

Points on hand: 10,818.00 Points
Sounds like it might end up being a Premier SkyRocket II (Tempesto clone)...
thumb_swsd2018.png
Photo from TPR.

Post December 22nd, 2016, 10:21 pm
Paradox User avatar

Points on hand: 7,113.00 Points
Bank: 10,198.60 Points
I see nothing wrong with that
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:
Just don't employ stupid people and you're golden.

That's like finding a Waffle House with no white trash in it.

Post December 22nd, 2016, 10:50 pm

Points on hand: 15,350.90 Points
Paradox wrote:
I see nothing wrong with that

Same here.
The general public would be thrilled to have that, but those cloned coasters just sound boring and monotonous to theme park window shoppers.

Post December 22nd, 2016, 11:13 pm
Paradox User avatar

Even after riding two of these clones, I still truly believe they are great rides when executed correctly (AKA not Tempesto). Enthusiasts just have a stigma against clones that in many times isn't true.
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:

Post December 22nd, 2016, 11:22 pm

Points on hand: 10,012.00 Points
As far as clones and easy additions go, it's probably the best a park can get.
1-Millennium Force | 2-Intimidator 305 | 3-Fury 325
4-Skyrush | 5-Iron Rattler | 6-X2 | 7-Kingda Ka
8-Voyage | 9-Maverick | 10-Monster

Post December 22nd, 2016, 11:25 pm
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
Honestly if I had to pick a clone to place in a park and a GIB wasn't an option, I'd take the Premier twisty loop thing.

I've been on:
*GIB
*Impulse
*Boomerang

So aside from the possibility that a Schwarzkopf shuttle loop is better (I kinda doubt it is, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's high up in the ranking), I don't see a park faring better than a Premier twisty loop thing aside from a GIB.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post December 23rd, 2016, 12:26 am
XLR8R User avatar
CoasterCrazy Media
CoasterCrazy Media

I'm just hoping they won't put those god awful 'comfort' collars on this ride. These clones are actually fun when there isn't a piece of hard plastic hugging your cheek.
Storm Chaser | Intimidator 305 | Lightning Run | Twisted Colossus | Maverick | El Toro | Millennium Force | Xcelerator | El Loco | Magnum XL-200

Post December 23rd, 2016, 12:34 am

Points on hand: 5,701.00 Points
A Sky Rocket II would be a satisfactory addition for SeaWorld San Diego, but given that the park already has a launch coaster it doesn't seem like the best option. Personally, I think a Gerstlauer Eurofighter/Infinity Coaster would be the best option for a compact thrill coaster at this park, particularly if it included a dark ride section. I also worry about the marketability of a cheaper stock model given the intense competition in Southern California. With Knott's Berry Farm and Six Flags Magic Mountain both within a 3 hour drive, a Sky Rocket II is not likely to draw people from outside of the San Diego area. The ride itself is pretty good, I'm just not convinced it is the right move for a struggling park in a competitive market.
Coaster Count: 535 (114 wood, 444 steel); Park Count: 110
Top 5 Wood: El Toro, Voyage, Thunderhead, Outlaw Run, Boulder Dash
Top 5 Steel: Superman the Ride, Fury 325, Millennium Force, X2, Intimidator 305

Post December 23rd, 2016, 10:23 am
Paradox User avatar

Coasterkidmwm wrote:
Honestly if I had to pick a clone to place in a park and a GIB wasn't an option, I'd take the Premier twisty loop thing.

I've been on:
*GIB
*Impulse
*Boomerang

So aside from the possibility that a Schwarzkopf shuttle loop is better (I kinda doubt it is, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's high up in the ranking), I don't see a park faring better than a Premier twisty loop thing aside from a GIB.

I also love GIB's. I feel they are really underrated, but SFNE ruined theirs so now I have to travel if I want to ride a good one.
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:

Post December 23rd, 2016, 6:15 pm

Points on hand: 4,033.00 Points
The best news about this is that it proves the park wants to continue (and able) to add thrill rides to it's line up.
Intamin: The Force Awakens.

Post December 24th, 2016, 8:55 am

Points on hand: 13,491.00 Points
That's why we need to have some high hopes. :)
-- I was happy to be with NL1 - [:')] --

Post December 24th, 2016, 11:22 am

Points on hand: 3,893.00 Points
Would the new Mack spinning coaster be probable?
I'm only annoying on purpose I swear

Post December 24th, 2016, 1:39 pm
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
It's not a bad idea.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

VF15 User avatar
News Writer
News Writer

Points on hand: 10,818.00 Points
Electric Eel: Coming to SeaWorld San Diego in 2018.

C1P-CTFW8AAXYru.jpg
Photo from ACEonline.org

SAN DIEGO (Jan. 3, 2017) ??? SeaWorld?? San Diego unveiled plans today for its 2018 attraction???the Electric Eel roller coaster???featuring multiple-launch elements, high-energy twists, and heart-pounding loops. It will expand the park's new Ocean Explorer realm set to open later this summer as part of the park's largest new attraction premiere in its history.
Following the unprecedented opening of three new major attractions in 2017???Ocean Explorer, the new Orca Encounter and the all-new summer nighttime extravaganza Electric Ocean???Electric Eel will cap a 24-month period of the most robust growth since the park's opening more than five decades ago.

"Electric Eel will bring a whole new level of excitement to SeaWorld in 2018," said SeaWorld San Diego's Park President Marilyn Hannes. "This new, first-of-its-kind coaster at SeaWorld will give riders the rare opportunity to feel what it's like to move like an eel as they twist and flip along nearly 900 feet of undulating track."

Electric Eel will feature astounding loops, twists and airtime. Multiple-launch experiences will propel riders forward and backward as they speed through the ride's station house accelerating to more than 60 miles per hour in seconds. Riders then rocket skyward nearly 150 feet where they will brave an inverted "heartline" roll and a twisting loop for an exciting feeling of airtime as riders crest the top before breathlessly returning to the station. This adrenaline-pumping coaster will offer riders the only upside-down view of Mission Bay.

SeaWorld continues to evolve the next generation of marine-life experiences, setting the standard for combining immersive and innovative ways to engage with ocean animals with flat-out family fun for children and adults.

"The future is bright at SeaWorld and we remain committed to long-term investment in the park," said Hannes. "We always strive to provide new reasons to visit SeaWorld and give our guests experiences that matter with a blend of exciting rides and incredible animal and educational experiences. We want our guests from around the world to not only have a great time, but be inspired to care about the ocean and the animals that live there."

Complementing the Electric Eel roller coaster is the anticipated Ocean Explorer experience opening in 2017???which will include a hypnotic live eel habitat featuring one of the world's most extensive collections of moray eels. Through large viewing windows, visitors will plunge into the world of the eel as they swim and dart through the caves and crevasses of their naturalistic deep-ocean environment.

With Electric Eel, SeaWorld's Deep Blue creative design team will fuse the visceral thrills of a contemporary coaster with a compelling interactive and educational eel experience. Using innovative state-of-the-art technologies, this interactive experience will allow guests to discover fascinating information about these mysterious animals, including their unique predation skills and diets, growth rates and sensory abilities.

Electric Eel will join Manta?? and Journey to Atlantis?? as the third coaster-type ride experience at SeaWorld San Diego. It will be constructed on an approximately two-acre site on the eastern side of the park between the currently under-construction Ocean Explorer attraction and Journey to Atlantis. The ride is expected to open in summer 2018.

Dirk_Ermen User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 2,175.50 Points
Bank: 45,000.00 Points
This was to be expected. Nice expansion for the park though. :)
Coastercount: 1410 (I've seen the world and it's horrid contraptions... @.@)
- Wood: 142
- Steel: 1268

Post January 3rd, 2017, 10:54 am
slosprint User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 5,728.00 Points
Paradox wrote:
Even after riding two of these clones, I still truly believe they are great rides when executed correctly (AKA not Tempesto). Enthusiasts just have a stigma against clones that in many times isn't true.

What does Tempesto do wrong? Havn't really done my research on it and still havn't ridden Phobia yet.
Boulder Dash was the only good roller coaster.

"or if you're when the hydraulic fluid was dumped out of the motor is goes 200ft up the tower and is like "LOL nope"" - CKMWM 2016

XLR8R User avatar
CoasterCrazy Media
CoasterCrazy Media

slosprint wrote:
What does Tempesto do wrong? Havn't really done my research on it and still havn't ridden Phobia yet.

It has the terribly unnecessary and uncomfortable OTSRs.

slosprint User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 5,728.00 Points
Oh they Kingda Ka'd it
Boulder Dash was the only good roller coaster.

"or if you're when the hydraulic fluid was dumped out of the motor is goes 200ft up the tower and is like "LOL nope"" - CKMWM 2016

Points on hand: 5,701.00 Points
Pretty much what everyone expected. This isn't a bad addition for the park, but it is launch coaster #9 in Southern California. I hope it benefits the park, but it doesn't seem unique enough in the market to be a huge draw.
Coaster Count: 535 (114 wood, 444 steel); Park Count: 110
Top 5 Wood: El Toro, Voyage, Thunderhead, Outlaw Run, Boulder Dash
Top 5 Steel: Superman the Ride, Fury 325, Millennium Force, X2, Intimidator 305

Paradox User avatar

Yay!
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:

Turbo User avatar

Points on hand: 5,506.00 Points
Bank: 21,857.68 Points

I'm truly in love with these clone models. Great addition!
Coaster Count: 582 // Top Five: 1. Helix 2. Nemesis 3. Big Bad Wolf 4. Boulder Dash 5. Balder

Coasterkidmwm wrote:
4 G's to the taint was a bit much for me because I'm not a power bottom like Turbo

Points on hand: 5,955.00 Points
I am quite happy with this addition, now I only have to drive 2 hours to ride a SRII and not 7 minus traffic.
Ok but how desperate you have to be to voluntarily fly from another country to go to Thorpe?

Next

Return to Theme Park News & Construction!