Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park Trip Reports Need a little help.. CedarPoint and KingsIsland 2018 trip

Need a little help.. CedarPoint and KingsIsland 2018 trip

Visited a theme park and have a wild time?!? Post your trip report here and tell us all about it!

Points on hand: 617.00 Points
Hi there so I decided next year i wanted to do a trip from the UK to Cedar Point and Kings Island.. I was thinking 2 days at each maybe..
The only issue is that I can't drive .
If anyone can help with the info on the best transport options and the best ways to tackle this trip that would be fantastic.
Thanks for your time anyone who helps
Joined age 14 still here at 28 =]

slosprint User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 5,728.00 Points
I'm pretty sure CP has shuttles to and from most nearby hotels. If I were you I'd spend 3 days at CP and 1 at KI though; KI doesn't have that many great coasters aside from Flight of Fear; but I'm an elitist so you don't have to listen to me.
Boulder Dash was the only good roller coaster.

"or if you're when the hydraulic fluid was dumped out of the motor is goes 200ft up the tower and is like "LOL nope"" - CKMWM 2016

Points on hand: 5,701.00 Points
The US is unfortunately very difficult to travel without a car. Outside of major cities, public transportation options are very limited. For this trip, your biggest challenge is going to be getting between Cincinnati and Sandusky, and there are really only two feasible options: Flight or Bus. Flying will be quicker, but it is also more expensive and you'll have to fly to Cleveland and take a shuttle to Sandusky. Taking a bus (such as Greyhound) is a bit more direct and is the cheaper option, but it is also very time consuming and will likely take a whole day.

For transportation around the local area, Cincinnati will be no problem as you can just use Uber if needed. If you can, try to stay at a hotel within walking distance of the park, but if that isn't possible you can look for hotels that have shuttle service or you can use Uber to get to the park. At Cedar Point, you'll really need to stay out at Hotel Breakers as there aren't any hotel shuttles due to the causeway toll (at least to my knowledge). Take a taxi or shuttle out there, then just stay on the peninsula for your visit and get a taxi or shuttle when it's time to leave.

As far as time requirements, unless you are going solely to ride coasters I recommend 1.5 days minimum at Kings Island. If you want to do Soak City as well, 2 full days are a must. At Cedar Point, 2 days is pretty much the minimum to enjoy the park, and given that you are coming from the UK and likely won't get a chance to return soon I'd recommend 3 if time permits. If you're the type that likes to get a lot of re-rides and you can afford it, I'd also highly recommend purchasing Fast Lane for one day at each park.
Coaster Count: 535 (114 wood, 444 steel); Park Count: 110
Top 5 Wood: El Toro, Voyage, Thunderhead, Outlaw Run, Boulder Dash
Top 5 Steel: Superman the Ride, Fury 325, Millennium Force, X2, Intimidator 305

Points on hand: 1,366.00 Points
I don't think I can help you with transportation, but I can tell you what the parks are like and what rides are the most important to hit up. Cedar Point is my main home park and Kings Island is my secondary one, so I know these parks very well. Let me just say: Alton Towers will feel small compared to these giants. Their skylines are MASSIVE. As you probably know, this trip is a roller coaster lover's dream. Here's some info on both parks.

Cedar Point
Length of Stay - 2+ days
Top Rides - RMC Mean Streak (it will be open in 2018), Millennium Force, Maverick, Top Thrill Dragster, Raptor, Magnum XL-200, Valravn, Rougarou, GateKeeper
Park Strategy - If you can afford a stay at a Cedar Point resort, I would definitely do it since you will be able to do Early Entry, when you can enter Cedar Point one hour early to ride Valravn, Millennium Force, Maverick (not listed on CP's website but I'll find out opening weekend), and GateKeeper. These rides can change every year. This is a great time to ride rides with minimal wait. Cedar Point's lines can get VERY long. How I always do my CP tour every time I go is that I start at the front gate (get there at least half hour before park opening or Early Entry opening), hitting Valravn, Millennium Force, Maverick, Magnum XL-200, Top Thrill Dragster (if it's open; if not, do it in the afternoon), Rougarou, Raptor, GateKeeper, and Wicked Twister. Obviously I'm a Cedar Point vet and those are the only coasters I have a need to ride (also have no clue where RMC Mean Streak will fit into that in 2018). You should get all the coaster credits since you're a first time visitor. I suggest 2+ days to be there. I would also recommend trying out their flat rides like Skyhawk, MaXair, WindSeeker, and Power Tower. Personally, my top five at Cedar Point are Maverick, Raptor, Top Thrill Dragster, Millennium Force, and Rougarou. Everyone's opinion is different.

Kings Island
Length of Stay - 1-2 days
Top Rides - Banshee, Diamondback, The Beast, Mystic Timbers, Firehawk, Vortex, The Racer
Park Strategy - Now Kings Island's park tour is a little more laid back, especially since the longest line I've had at Kings Island was probably a 30 minute wait for Diamondback on a Saturday. Kings Island also has Early Entry, but it only takes passholders and only lasts 30 minutes. I would suggest either going to Banshee or Firehawk first. Firehawk has bad dispatch times, so hit it before the lines get long. I was the first train of the day last time I went. You can hit all the rides as you please without any certain order. My top rides at this park are Banshee, Diamondback, Firehawk, The Beast, and Vortex.

If you can do Fast Lane for any of these parks, I would suggest Cedar Point. Both parks are amazing and will blow your socks off. Happy travels!

Points on hand: 13,491.00 Points
Informative tips, IMHO, for international members, too. :D
-- I was happy to be with NL1 - [:')] --

Return to Theme Park Trip Reports