Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park News & Construction! Boomerang at Knott's Berry Farm to Close April 23rd!

Boomerang at Knott's Berry Farm to Close April 23rd!

Theme Park Construction And News Forum

Points on hand: 5,955.00 Points

I think we all saw this coming, sooner or later, but I'm eager to see what will go in its place. It's a pretty decent size plot of land, something good could come of this. They could use that whole strip where Boomerang and RipTide were located to build something large.
Last edited by Olmisery on March 19th, 2017, 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ok but how desperate you have to be to voluntarily fly from another country to go to Thorpe?

Points on hand: 15,350.90 Points

VF15 User avatar
News Writer
News Writer

Points on hand: 10,818.00 Points
I predict it's getting moved to Dorney since that's where all of Cedar Fair's relocations go... ;) Just kidding, the ride is 27 years old so it's probably headed to the scrapyard.

XLR8R User avatar
CoasterCrazy Media
CoasterCrazy Media

Points on hand: 3,273.01 Points
Long live Montezooma's Revenge!
Storm Chaser | Intimidator 305 | Lightning Run | Twisted Colossus | Maverick | El Toro | Millennium Force | Xcelerator | El Loco | Magnum XL-200
Coaster Count: 154 - Last Credit: Ragin' Cajun (Six Flags America)

I knew it wasn't Montezooma since they repainted it orange like a month ago, and they wouldn't spend money repainting it if they were gonna close it only a few months later.
Ok but how desperate you have to be to voluntarily fly from another country to go to Thorpe?

Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

Points on hand: 11,502.60 Points
Bank: 187,052.60 Points

Took them long enough imo.
Support Us! - Click Here To Donate $5 Monthly!
Paradox wrote:
No need to tell Oscar about the problems. He is magic.

Points on hand: 4,657.00 Points
Bank: 6,667.00 Points
VF15 wrote:
I predict it's getting moved to Dorney since that's where all of Cedar Fair's relocations go... ;) Just kidding, the ride is 27 years old so it's probably headed to the scrapyard.

Don't give Cedar Fair any ideas.... Dorney already has 2 shuttle coasters 20 feet from each other.
What are these for?

stevecoaster User avatar
CoasterCrazy Media
CoasterCrazy Media

Points on hand: 3,031.00 Points

If it does get relocated it would be Valleyfair or Michigan's Adventure. If not, headed for scrap or sold to another park not part of Cedar Fair. Corkscrew is the only coaster that goes upside down at Valleyfair so why not there? if so expect new trains like with Carolina Cobra/Flying Cobras. I would love to see a B&M hyper or Dive Coaster to take up all the available space.
Vasco XTR

Points on hand: 13,491.00 Points
Hmm, that's one of the well-known clones, but is still shining in the coaster community! :)
-- I was happy to be with NL1 - [:')] --

Paradox User avatar

Points on hand: 7,113.00 Points
Bank: 10,198.60 Points
Giga confirmed
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:
Just don't employ stupid people and you're golden.

That's like finding a Waffle House with no white trash in it.

stevecoaster wrote:
I would love to see a B&M hyper or Dive Coaster to take up all the available space.

Paradox wrote:
Giga confirmed

LOL I WISH

Points on hand: 13,491.00 Points
^ Or... the park's biggest and wildest kiddie coaster like the improved "Mighty Mega" for thrill seekers. :D
-- I was happy to be with NL1 - [:')] --

Paradox User avatar

They can easily fit a giga here

Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:

stevecoaster User avatar
CoasterCrazy Media
CoasterCrazy Media

Paradox wrote:
They can easily fit a giga here

It's just comparing it to any hyper or giga its just still a tiny plot of land. Dive coaster could easily squeeze in with boomerang, riptide, wipeout and screaming swing removed.
Vasco XTR

Turbo User avatar

Points on hand: 5,506.00 Points
Bank: 21,857.68 Points

knotts 2019 strata coaster?

ok but seriously I want this prediction documented lol. I did some digging because this ride has a serious place in my heart and I think Kanonen is a serious possibility for the replacement.

Kanonen is a rather well known ride. It would surely be on Knotts' radar. Not only that but the boomerang removal is rather sudden and announced almost immediately after the confirmed sale of Kanonen. The land size available allows for it too. The only thing that is a red flag is xcelerator is at the park too. Maybe they want an accelerator that doesn't pimpslap the front seat riders with cables?

With the removal of Boomerang the plot of land free at knotts now can be 42m wide x 105m long. Kanonen is 28m x 90m.

PLEASE let it be a 2 hour plane ride from me.
Coaster Count: 582 // Top Five: 1. Helix 2. Nemesis 3. Big Bad Wolf 4. Boulder Dash 5. Balder

Coasterkidmwm wrote:
4 G's to the taint was a bit much for me because I'm not a power bottom like Turbo

How much sense that prediction makes has me interested...

Turbo User avatar

High profile ride for a high profile park. Fits within the allotted area, relatively high capacity, caters to those who don't like heights as much, Kanonen has confirmed to be leaving Europe, timing on sale of Kanonen and very sudden demolition of Boomerang.

The ONLY thing that negates this prediction is Xcelerator but even then the perks of Kanonen outweigh the redundancy of having four launched coasters in a park. While I am aware of there being thousands of parks around the globe for some reason this just makes a lot of sense to me.
Coaster Count: 582 // Top Five: 1. Helix 2. Nemesis 3. Big Bad Wolf 4. Boulder Dash 5. Balder

Coasterkidmwm wrote:
4 G's to the taint was a bit much for me because I'm not a power bottom like Turbo

Paradox User avatar

Turbo wrote:
The ONLY thing that negates this prediction is Xcelerator but even then the perks of Kanonen outweigh the redundancy of having four launched coasters in a park. While I am aware of there being thousands of parks around the globe for some reason this just makes a lot of sense to me.

Never forget this exists

Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:

Turbo User avatar

exactly.

side note I love how they didn't even make the cobras face each other lol

Coasterkidmwm wrote:

Points on hand: 5,701.00 Points
While I can definitely get behind Kanonen going to a Cedar Fair park, I highly doubt it will show up at Knott's. Particularly in the spot where Boomerang stood, I have a feeling the GP would simply think of it as "mini Xcelerator" and that it wouldn't get very much attention. Additionally, Intamin Accelerator coasters are widely considered among the most expensive coasters to maintain, so I doubt Knott's wants a second low-capacity high-expense ride.

That said, based on what I've heard from a generally reliable source, I do expect the new ride to be a launch coaster. While they wouldn't tell me exactly what it is, the hints they gave me sounded very much like a custom Mack launch coaster comparable in size and scale to Maverick. Even if that ends up not being true, given that construction is beginning in late April I suspect we're looking at a large coaster, large enough to cover the entire Boardwalk and not just the area formerly occupied by Boomerang.
Coaster Count: 535 (114 wood, 444 steel); Park Count: 110
Top 5 Wood: El Toro, Voyage, Thunderhead, Outlaw Run, Boulder Dash
Top 5 Steel: Superman the Ride, Fury 325, Millennium Force, X2, Intimidator 305

mkingy User avatar

Points on hand: 28,048.00 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points
All very exciting, with the successful track renewal of Ghostrider and now this - I'm looking forward to the future of KBF!

I'd love to see Kanooooonen makes its way there, as it's a park I intend to visit in the near future and I'd love to get another ride on it :D
Coaster Count - 198
France 2019 Mini Trip Report

stevecoaster User avatar
CoasterCrazy Media
CoasterCrazy Media

rcdude wrote:
While I can definitely get behind Kanonen going to a Cedar Fair park, I highly doubt it will show up at Knott's. Particularly in the spot where Boomerang stood, I have a feeling the GP would simply think of it as "mini Xcelerator" and that it wouldn't get very much attention. Additionally, Intamin Accelerator coasters are widely considered among the most expensive coasters to maintain, so I doubt Knott's wants a second low-capacity high-expense ride.

That said, based on what I've heard from a generally reliable source, I do expect the new ride to be a launch coaster. While they wouldn't tell me exactly what it is, the hints they gave me sounded very much like a custom Mack launch coaster comparable in size and scale to Maverick. Even if that ends up not being true, given that construction is beginning in late April I suspect we're looking at a large coaster, large enough to cover the entire Boardwalk and not just the area formerly occupied by Boomerang.

I agree, I hope this is going to be a large roller coaster, not necessarily in footprint but height and or speed. If it were me I would be pushing for a dive coaster 200ft+ with an Albatross theme since were in the "boardwalk area" Like "Albatross" or "The Great Albatross" bird themes just work for diver coasters.
Vasco XTR

Turbo User avatar

It's simply a possibility that speaks to me haha. That said I could easily see a custom Mack going in there. I mean look at what they did with Blackpool and Movie Park Germany

Coasterkidmwm wrote:

Points on hand: 7,716.00 Points
Sorry for the bad quality but here's Kanonen if it was installed at Knott's Berry Farm. ;)

Turbo User avatar

Man kanonen looks natural there!

Coasterkidmwm wrote:

Next

Return to Theme Park News & Construction!