Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park News & Construction! Splash Canyon (Drayton Manor) Incident 09/05/17

Splash Canyon (Drayton Manor) Incident 09/05/17

Theme Park Construction And News Forum

Points on hand: 0.00 Points
Bank: 15,033.00 Points
11 Year old girl is fighting for her life after falling into the water on Splash Canyon.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -ride.html

Turbo User avatar

Points on hand: 5,506.00 Points
Bank: 21,857.68 Points

Update: It is with a heavy heart that I have to announce that she died shortly after arriving at the hospital.
Coaster Count: 582 // Top Five: 1. Helix 2. Nemesis 3. Big Bad Wolf 4. Boulder Dash 5. Balder

Coasterkidmwm wrote:
4 G's to the taint was a bit much for me because I'm not a power bottom like Turbo

Points on hand: 5,955.00 Points
And we can wave goodbye to another fun rapids ride...

It's so unfortunate that these things happen.
Ok but how desperate you have to be to voluntarily fly from another country to go to Thorpe?

Points on hand: 3,436.00 Points
Bank: 1,275.00 Points
Damn this is sad, sounds like it was a school trip too. Already seeing a million "Theme parks are clearly deathtraps and should be shut down" comments though.

Turbo User avatar

M&D's is. I'll agree to those comments about M&D's. It appears that there wasn't a ride failure this time so their comments are the equivalent of saying "going outside is dangerous because I could die"
Coaster Count: 582 // Top Five: 1. Helix 2. Nemesis 3. Big Bad Wolf 4. Boulder Dash 5. Balder

Coasterkidmwm wrote:
4 G's to the taint was a bit much for me because I'm not a power bottom like Turbo

M&D's is the pure, unsaturated definition of sketch
Ok but how desperate you have to be to voluntarily fly from another country to go to Thorpe?

mkingy User avatar

Points on hand: 28,048.00 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points
I'd rather go to the local fair than M&D's - at least they put the essentially "inspect" the ride every time they have to take them apart and put them together again.
Coaster Count - 198
France 2019 Mini Trip Report

Mikey User avatar
Site Admin
Site Admin

Points on hand: 6,049.50 Points

Unless the boat sank somebody was not following the rules.

??? Dumb ways to die, so many dumb ways to die. ???

Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
Mikey wrote:
Unless the boat sank somebody was not following the rules.

??? Dumb ways to die, so many dumb ways to die. ???

Yeah they'd immediately mention if the boat sank, there would be the typical eyewitness accounts, etc.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

According to friends, she fell off when standing up to change seats and was sucked under by the rapids.

'She fell out and was sucked under by the rapids... she just disappeared': Police name girl, 11, after horrified children tell how she fell off Drayton Manor water ride when 'her raft hit a rock when she stood up to swap seats'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -ride.html

I don't like it when i see people stood up on rapids rides, and this is why.

Rest In Peace, Evha :cry:

Dirk_Ermen User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 2,175.50 Points
Bank: 45,000.00 Points
Sucks to hear someone died due someone not paying attention to the rules. This shows again that something innocent as standing up/changing seats because you might get wet, can easily turn into a bigger drama.
Coastercount: 1410 (I've seen the world and it's horrid contraptions... @.@)
- Wood: 142
- Steel: 1268

mkingy User avatar

Dirk_Ermen wrote:
Sucks to hear someone died due someone not paying attention to the rules. This shows again that something innocent as standing up/changing seats because you might get wet, can easily turn into a bigger drama.

Indeed, pretty horrible experience for all involved - certainly a lesson to all not to be naive about safety in theme parks when it comes to rules (I know I've stood up on one of these before!)

edit:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-st ... e-39867690

BBC link for a far more balanced viewpoint than the Daily Fail.
Coaster Count - 198

Turbo User avatar

I called it. That's the ONLY way to fall out on one of those things. I'm certain drayton has signs and audible reminders to stay seated for the duration of the ride. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Coasterkidmwm wrote:

Points on hand: 3,436.00 Points
Bank: 1,275.00 Points
I figured that she must have been standing too, the ride is way too tame and the seats too low to get thrown overboard sitting. Although I haven't been to Drayton in a couple of years, I definitely remember there being signs all over the ride saying not to stand up and to remain seated so it seems kinda strange that the couple of incidents caused by guests going against that rule end up with such backlash against the parks from the GP as if it's their fault when they have rules there for a reason

Ok, with all due respect to the victim and her family, it was her fault. It is my firm belief that all rides should have restrains because there's gonna be uneducated children like this and incidents like this are going to happen. Not Drayton's fault.

RIP Evha, truly a terrible way to go.

Mikey User avatar
Site Admin
Site Admin

Points on hand: 6,049.50 Points

The average rapids ride moves between a hundred and two hundred thousand gallons per minute via at least a 42 inch pipe. That's an Olympic swimming pool every three minutes. If you end up in the water, your best bet for survival is to swim across the current and try to hold onto something to avoid being swept down trough. It wouldn't hurt to scream to get someones attention. Should you get washed down to the low end of the reservoir where the pumps are, you have very little chance of survival. Even if the ride is E-Stopped, it can still take awhile for the water to drain off and stabilize enough to be able to rescue someone. If you have ever seen one of these rides shutdown at the end of the night, you know about all the loose articles that start floating about once the pumps shutdown.

mkingy User avatar

Olmisery wrote:
Ok, with all due respect to the victim and her family, it was her fault. It is my firm belief that all rides should have restrains because there's gonna be uneducated children like this and incidents like this are going to happen. Not Drayton's fault.

Never really been sure about seatbelts on water rides though. I mean, the Cedar Point accident could've been a tonne worse had their not been people around and I don't think seatbelts exactly helped with the accident in Australia. You're right though, there are uneducated children. I think you correct that by educating your children that they need to obey safety instructions when doing anything in life.
Coaster Count - 198

Points on hand: 13,491.00 Points
No one wants to see or hear someone killed in any form at a fun spot. Most cases are "incidents" regarded as "preventable". What she did on the ride is typically not allowed, but I feel for her.

I do feel sad... :sad:
-- I was happy to be with NL1 - [:')] --

Dirk_Ermen User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 2,175.50 Points
Bank: 45,000.00 Points
Olmisery wrote:
It is my firm belief that all rides should have restrains because there's gonna be uneducated children like this and incidents like this are going to happen.

I'm against fool-proofing rides against stupidity. Even if you bolt people down into their seats. They still will find a way to get hurt or die in a way that we never thought off.
Just let Darwin happen, mourn about it and then a few months later everyone forgot about it.
Coastercount: 1410 (I've seen the world and it's horrid contraptions... @.@)
- Wood: 142
- Steel: 1268

Lol fair enough Dirk

Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
Dirk_Ermen wrote:
I'm against fool-proofing rides against stupidity. Even if you bolt people down into their seats. They still will find a way to get hurt or die in a way that we never thought off.
Just let Darwin happen, mourn about it and then a few months later everyone forgot about it.

The publicity it gets is unfortunate though but oh well.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Yeah main reason I'd rather not have darwin deaths happen is because of bad publicity for a good park lol

Points on hand: 15,350.90 Points
Negligence? What does she want the park to do, install lap-bars on the rafts? Pretty sure the signs that say 'do not stand up' are there for a reason. Are people not able to think for themselves anymore? I don't believe it was the park's fault.

Soko wrote:
I don't believe it was the park's fault.

Same; it was rider error.

Next

Return to Theme Park News & Construction!